Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 05:54 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,040 times

Advertisements

I had a company remove the old shingles and install a new shingle roof. My handyman went up on the roof recently to blow the leaves off and from the gutters. When he was done, he said that the roofer used staples instead of nails. The contract reads that nails will be used.

No, I didn’t go out to check the supplies before they started work.

My question is, can I do anything about it? I’m not the lawsuit kind of person, and I’m not even sure that is plausible. If hiring an attorney is an answer, what “kind” would I get? Should I try to get a partial refund of the cost of the roof? Although nails are preferred, I thinking having them do the roof completely over seems extreme as well.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 06:39 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
I would check with your AHJ- most do not approve of staples anymore.
And then there’s the question of a permit- was one pulled for the job? Is one required for a re-roof?

After you find that out you may have some teeth behind going back after the contractor.

It should also be noted that most shingle manufacturers do not warranty their shingles if installed with staples (especially for wind damage).

Old 06-14-2022, 08:17 PM

6,360 posts, read 4,184,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
And then there’s the question of a permit- was one pulled for the job? Is one required for a re-roof?

After you find that out you may have some teeth behind going back after the contractor.

It should also be noted that most shingle manufacturers do not warranty their shingles if installed with staples (especially for wind damage).
Exactly correct and here’s a section from the Owens Corning shingle installation requirements;

Last edited by Rickcin; 03-07-2024 at 08:21 PM..

Old 06-15-2022, 05:19 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,040 times
Excellent input, guys!

I thought I was choosing the right company (established, local, family-owned, INSURED). Never thought I’d have to check off a list of materials.

I’ll start making calls to arm myself with more information. (I actually never thought about the permit dept or the shingle warranty. I guess most of my thinking was, Now what? lol. UGH)

My thought was to have my handyman go back up to take pictures for me, then contact the roofing company for their reaction. If anyone has any more ideas (or steps to take), I would appreciate more ideas.

If push comes to shove, would it be a contract attorney that I would contact? Or is there some other sort of attorney?

Thanks a bunch!

Old 06-15-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
If push comes to shove, would it be a contract attorney that I would contact? Or is there some other sort of attorney?

That’s going to depend on what your contract says- you did sign a contract; right????
Most contracts will have an arbitration clause.

If you don’t have a contract, then it’s a “he said, she said” kinda thing. So get the answers to my former questions and you should know what direction to go.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
That’s going to depend on what your contract says- you did sign a contract; right????
Most contracts will have an arbitration clause.

If you don’t have a contract, then it’s a “he said, she said” kinda thing. So get the answers to my former questions and you should know what direction to go.
If you don’t have a signed contract, do you at least have a written scope of work from the contractor?

And, whatever shingle manufacturer the contractor used, you should review their particular installation guidelines to determine the specific type of fasteners that are specified to be used.

All and any information regarding contractor correspondence and the type and manufacturer of the shingles should be obtained prior to beginning with an attorney since it will reduce your legal costs.

Old 06-15-2022, 12:32 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
OP, those would be roofing staples, not the kind you staple your contracts together with. They should be perfectly fine.

The roofing companies use them because they can be used with a gun instead of hand pounded like a good large head roofing nail.

If your contract says "nails" the first step is to contact the roofing contractor and see what he has to say about it.

For the next time, it pays to hang out and see what your contractor and his workers are doing and what materials they are using. This would have been easier if you noticed that they were not using nails on the first day as they started working.

Old 06-15-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP, those would be roofing staples, not the kind you staple your contracts together with. They should be perfectly fine.

The roofing companies use them because they can be used with a gun instead of hand pounded like a good large head roofing nail..
There certainly not “perfectly fine” if they do not comply with manufacturers recommendations/requirements in order to warranty the roof and provide compensation by the insurance company for wind and water damage. Depending on the manufacturer and specific type of shingle, shingle staples are acceptable but definitely not preferred.

And most all roofers do use coil nail guns that shoot a conventional round head roofing nail and they have been available for many years, I’ve owned several of them.

Old 06-15-2022, 01:21 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:

I also might get pictures of the staples/nails...if OP can't get up there hire someone that can.

Old 06-15-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I also might get pictures of the staples/nails...if OP can't get up there hire someone that can.
What; like the handyman who found the discrepancy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House