Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 12:55 PM

120 posts, read 114,608 times

Advertisements

Ac and furnace replacement: replacing a 22 year old trane unit.
Comfortaire $6500 1 year install warranty 10-12 warranty on the unit. This person was referred to us by someone who works with my wife. He’s done about 14 of their flip properties.

Rudd $9450 3 years install warranty same warranty for unit.
Goodman $8500 same as Rudd because it’s the same hvac technician.

Haven’t really seen anything out there about comfortaire. Other than it being similar to Lennox
Only reason I am replacing is because my ac isn’t blowing cool air. The heat works fine but it’s an old unit. Every suggested if I do want to replace instead of trying to fix the leak it would be wise to do both ac and furnace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 04:08 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeropg View Post
3 choices for hvac replacement which is a better choice
1) The equipment MAKER is the least important factor.
2) When comparing X vs Y ... the variance should be a LOT tighter than 6500 vs 9500
3) MOST important factor is the guy with the tools in his hands (not the salesman)

Quote:
Only reason I am replacing is because my ac isn’t blowing cool air.
That's easy. Fix it. $500 vs $6500? Sold! More? Maybe not.
This means you need to find the trusted AC tech who can explain the what and how of YOUR leak.

All that said... at 22yrs you WILL need to replace at some point.
Be ready for it. 92F here today ... and NOT the time to contract for a replacement.

Old 06-22-2022, 04:11 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,027,504 times
There's really not a lot of difference between brands- so I wouldn't put a lot of weight on that. I concentrate on who is the better installer- experience, warranty, etc. Who do you feel most comfortable with(?).

Old 06-22-2022, 04:12 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,153,191 times
I had a Goodman furnace and AC unit that barely lasted 12 years (2004-16). In-between time I had one component failure in furnace, and later a freon leak that was a pricey repair involving new freon with a sealant in it. Tech that installed my Rheem units claimed that Goodman has a bad reputation. Goodman install in 2004 was at a pretty good price, but I guess I got what I paid for. No problems yet with Rheem.

Whatever you do, be sure it is a good, established company or tech. Don't get a part-timer, some clown off Craigslist, or anything like that. As others have said, I suspect there is not a huge difference between the quality of the major manufacturers. Goodman might be the exception.

Old 06-22-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
1) The equipment MAKER is the least important factor.
2) When comparing X vs Y ... the variance should be a LOT tighter than 6500 vs 9500
3) MOST important factor is the guy with the tools in his hands (not the salesman)

That's easy. Fix it. $500 vs $6500? Sold! More? Maybe not.
This means you need to find the trusted AC tech who can explain the what and how of YOUR leak.

All that said... at 22yrs you WILL need to replace at some point.
Be ready for it. 92F here today ... and NOT the time to contract for a replacement.
The two guys are trusted. One has been installing for years with someone my wife knows. The other has great reviews and was very honest with me about the leak. He said he could fix it. His words were anything can be fixed. But also said it's an old unit but and that it's my choice. The price was around $500 but would not guarantee it would fix the leak for good. I figured I need a new unit because it's from 1999 and thought the $6500 price was way cheaper than anyone else's price. Take the deal now or maybe pay a higher price later.
Thanks

Old 06-22-2022, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
There's really not a lot of difference between brands- so I wouldn't put a lot of weight on that. I concentrate on who is the better installer- experience, warranty, etc. Who do you feel most comfortable with(?).
I feel comfortable with both of these guys out of about 6 people I had come. These two were most honest and did not try to sell me a unit. But $6500 is the cheaper of the two. So that is the one I would go with. I would get the leak fixed but not sure how long it would last.

Old 06-22-2022, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
I had a Goodman furnace and AC unit that barely lasted 12 years (2004-16). In-between time I had one component failure in furnace, and later a freon leak that was a pricey repair involving new freon with a sealant in it. Tech that installed my Rheem units claimed that Goodman has a bad reputation. Goodman install in 2004 was at a pretty good price, but I guess I got what I paid for. No problems yet with Rheem.

Whatever you do, be sure it is a good, established company or tech. Don't get a part-timer, some clown off Craigslist, or anything like that. As others have said, I suspect there is not a huge difference between the quality of the major manufacturers. Goodman might be the exception.
Thank you. I have heard that about the Goodman from one other person since posting this. I was going to just fix the leak but the age of the unit is what is stopping me. If it could last the summer than I would take the chance.

Old 06-22-2022, 06:36 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
You mention guys when you should be talking about companies.

A long-time company wouldn't exist if they weren't doing decent work. What if the guy is sick or injured or dies? What then?

I would never buy from a guy, only an established company that when anyone hears the name, they would know what they do.

Old 06-22-2022, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
You mention guys when you should be talking about companies.

A long-time company wouldn't exist if they weren't doing decent work. What if the guy is sick or injured or dies? What then?

I would never buy from a guy, only an established company that when anyone hears the name, they would know what they do.
Yes these guys work for a company. I said guys because I don't remember the company names. These were the guys who came out representing the company they work for.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:29 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,097,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeropg View Post
Thank you. I have heard that about the Goodman from one other person since posting this. I was going to just fix the leak but the age of the unit is what is stopping me. If it could last the summer than I would take the chance.
Mine leaked and it was more than 10 years old so I replaced everything - ac and furnace. Cost me $9k about a month ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House