Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 08:10 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,739,106 times

Advertisements

Some items come out damp then go back in the dryer for a few minutes on the "fluff" (No heat) setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2022, 09:16 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
If they are not quite dry, run them for another 10 minutes or so in the dryer.

Do not fold wet clothes and put them in a drawer. You will grow mold and they will smell.

Or you could hang the items on hangars until dry.
That's is what I do with mine. The Maytag dryer has a "Casual" setting that takes 35 minutes to tumble dry on low heat. If the clothes are slightly moist, I just switch to "Timed Dry" and tumble dry for an additional 20 minutes on low heat.

Otherwise I just use "Timed Dry" for 45 minutes or so on low heat, instead of "Casual."

Old 07-21-2022, 06:49 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
NO! This is not the whole idea of a dryer!

Towels, undergarments, washcloths can be dried completely in a dryer.

My dryer has TEN cycle settings, FIVE heat settings, and THREE dryness level settings. Those are not just for show and have very specific purposes. I don't need all of them myself, but there are a few I use regularly.

Black denim, in particular, is a challenging fabric. The general rule is to NOT wash it until absolutely needed, and then tumble on low heat only until damp, then air dry. If not handled properly it either fades quickly, has weird stiffness issues, or shrinks.

With shirts that I iron (yes, I iron!), I don't use the "more dry" or "normal" settings, but the "less dry" which then allows me to use a dry iron and get the effect of a steam iron without the annoying dribbles that happen with most steam irons.

There have been any number of studies showing that shrinkage in most knits only occurs in any meaningful amounts when the fabric has less than 20% moisture content and is agitated. During that type of situation, the knit will tighten, generally in the direction that held most tension during manufacture. T-shirts that turn into crop tops are a perfect example.

Some fabrics can be washed and dried, but are easily damaged from improper care, including excess heat. Bonded fabrics, appliques, iron on prints, cire, pleather, the list goes on.

Those who have made their own clothing quickly come to understand that a fresh bolt of fabric is best washed and dried on high heat until completely dry at least once prior to construction of a garment. Some inexpensive off-the-rack garments suffer from this step having been skipped, creating a garment that looks great on the store rack but only can be worn once or twice with improper washing and drying. Sometimes a tell-tale of this is a "dry clean only" tag on a garment that you would think could be washed normally.

How fast you ruin your clothes is no shirt off my back. I don't have the spare money or time to waste shopping for stuff I really like, so I take care of my clothing.

A clue: If you only have one type of detergent, and/or you dry all your laundry until completely dry, you don't understand how to properly launder clothes and might want to consider using a laundry service.

This is all too much to comprehend to dry clothes.
I hang mine on the clothesline, (by choice) next day they are dried. I have never owned a dryer and will never own a dryer. (my choice)

I dont want to have the same clothes for 12 years anyway, so as for a dryer damaging clothes, meh...
I can't see putting clothes in a dryer and then hanging them on a line, too much un-needed work

too much work and a bother to do all of that.
10 cycle settings, meh, not necessary, hot air dries clothes, then your done, no wonder dryers are so expensive.
I'm not sold on all of these miracle settings, put the hot air on the clothes then they dry completely....call it a day. JMO

Old 07-21-2022, 08:09 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
[/u]

I hang mine on the clothesline, (by choice) next day they are dried. I have never owned a dryer and will never own a dryer. (my choice)

I dont want to have the same clothes for 12 years anyway, so as for a dryer damaging clothes, meh...
I can't see putting clothes in a dryer and then hanging them on a line, too much un-needed work

10 cycle settings, meh, not necessary, hot air dries clothes, then your done, no wonder dryers are so expensive.
I'm not sold on all of these miracle settings, put the hot air on the clothes then they dry completely....call it a day. JMO
But then, are you ironing? The various settings on the dryer help eliminate the need to iron...if you get the clothes out of the dryer fast enough.

But hey, if your system works for you, that's cool. I'm sure your electric bill is lower than ours. :-) And honestly, that fresh line dried laundry smell can't be beat.

Old 07-21-2022, 12:27 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
[/u]

Line drying has advantages, and I applaud you for keeping to it. Even there, there are sweaters and some items that have to be laid out on a drying rack or towel on a bed. You don't have to worry about shrinking though, and as pointed out, the smell can be nice.

TBH, the oldest clothing I have is probably socks. I have some from the 1970s. I also have a number of fun promotional T-shirts from that era that have stood the test of time. "Dr. Pepper - hold out for the extraordinary!" and later ones promoting the movie "The Lion King" and such. Comparing those to the 3 packs of T-shirts sold today, the greater quality of the older shirts is palpable.

With dress shirts, today's are generally extraordinarily expensive or of cheap quality and poorly cut. I cringe at what some television weathercasters wear.

If you want to explore some NICE clothing that is too expensive for me, but I drool over, check out this site:

https://www.johnsmedley.com/us/mens

If I won the lottery, I might indulge in some of the knitwear from there.

Old 08-06-2022, 05:31 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
But then, are you ironing? The various settings on the dryer help eliminate the need to iron...if you get the clothes out of the dryer fast enough.

But hey, if your system works for you, that's cool. I'm sure your electric bill is lower than ours. :-) And honestly, that fresh line dried laundry smell can't be beat.
They still make irons? I think the last time I ironed anything was back in 1989.

Old 08-08-2022, 08:19 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,170,524 times
I just put set the dryer for another 10 minutes and check again. I don't see any point in hanging clothes that are going to be folded after they dry on hangers. It's a whole extra step. If it's a dress or blouse that will hang anyway, ok. But why not just dry the clothes completely? Some of the dryers' sensors aren't that accurate - I know mine isn't always, especially if I have fabrics of different weights in the same load.

Old 08-09-2022, 02:23 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
They still make irons? I think the last time I ironed anything was back in 1989.
Looks like some people don't care about their appearance anymore. Or wear polyester
But even polyester wrinkles and looks awful.

I do iron my clothes (and other stuff) after laundering. They look like day and night when ironed.

Old 08-09-2022, 04:58 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Looks like some people don't care about their appearance anymore. Or wear polyester

I do iron my clothes (and other stuff) after laundering. They look like day and night when ironed.

Yep you can count me on that "don't care" list. I wear cotton. I don't use a dryer, I hang things up on hangars until dry then put them in the closet, or hang things on drying racks until dry and put them in the drawers. Mostly not too wrinkled (at least by my standards) but I don't care if they are. I own an iron, but I haven't used it since I got rid of a pair of linen pants about 20 years ago lol

Life is too short to spend it ironing.

PS however many people wear spandex clothing these days, so tight you couldn't see a wrinkle if it was there. My wrinkly cotton clothes are baggy, so if there are wrinkles yeah, you can see them if you are looking at them. But who is looking at me? No one.

Old 08-09-2022, 06:52 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

I just have casual clothes - t-shirts, sweatshirts, clothes to garden in, stuff like that. I really can't afford to buy anything nicer at the moment. I don't have to work anymore and I'm not gonna get all gussied up to go to the store or the library. I'd rather be comfortable in what I wear.

And believe it or not, once my clothes are folded or hung up after drying, they look just fine for the places I wear them to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House