Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 04:57 PM

2,050 posts, read 1,661,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m not sure what the low and medium heat settings are for. Mine is always on high heat, with cool down at the end. It will keep tumbling the clothes after the cool down, so wrinkles don’t form. Then I hang them up or fold them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
To me, low setting is for the folks who dont buy Xtra Dry Antiperspirant. They want slightly damp pits, I guess.
It seems like the shortest time it takes to dry clothes is the most economical.

Wool. Among other fabrics, that's what low or even air only settings are for. I wear a lot of wool and dry it on low until it is no longer wet but still damp. Then the stuff goes on a drying rack in the laundry room until all the way dry.

Dry wool on high heat and you might as well give it to a kid as it ain't going to fit you anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2022, 08:13 AM

652 posts, read 521,424 times
Is it ok to just leave it in the dryer or laundry basket? I have a lot of pajama pants and if hang them up one by one it would be time consuming. Plus, I already hang dry so many other clothes as well.

Old 08-12-2022, 01:00 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
After your clothes finishes drying in low heat, what do you do with them? I just finished using this setting for the first time. I noticed that my clothes a subtly damp in some areas. Do you fold them and put them in your cabinets? Do you hang them up to air dry?
Turn the dryer back on for another 10 minutes until the clothes are dry.

Old 08-12-2022, 02:05 PM

2,050 posts, read 1,661,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Turn the dryer back on for another 10 minutes until the clothes are dry.

That's what I do when I put too many jeans or towels in at one time and the normal cycle doesn't quite get the job done.

Old 08-12-2022, 03:00 PM

23,302 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Is it ok to just leave it in the dryer or laundry basket? I have a lot of pajama pants and if hang them up one by one it would be time consuming. Plus, I already hang dry so many other clothes as well.
No. Depending on the fabric involved, that's a great way to set wrinkles, not to mention leave your clothes/linens musty. If anything happens to have a non-colorfast dye, it could still transfer slightly.

If you resent how much time it takes to hang everything up, either tumble everything until dry (with the varying risks and results already discussed in this thread) or do a load of laundry more frequently. Don't let it pile up so long. The time it takes is the time it takes. You'll either spend a longer session dealing with more laundry less often, or less time more often. Up to you.

Old 08-12-2022, 03:25 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,153,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
They still make irons? I think the last time I ironed anything was back in 1989.
Even better. LOL

I don't iron much. My husband is retired now, but when he was working, I used to iron his button down shirts sometimes. And once in awhile, I'll iron something of mine that needs some light pressing...but that's about it.

Old 08-13-2022, 08:19 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,240 times
Quote:
After your clothes finishes drying in low heat, what do you do with them? I just finished using this setting for the first time. I noticed that my clothes a subtly damp in some areas. Do you fold them and put them in your cabinets? Do you hang them up to air dry?
I often use this setting in the winter when outdoor line-drying isn't possible, and I find it easiest to place the clothing on hangers and hang them on a rod I installed above my washer and dryer for an hour or so until they are completely dry and ready to put away. Works for clothing I've spun to damp dry in the washer, too, although I give them a bit longer before putting them away. If you don't have a hanging rod in your laundry space, use the shower rod in your bathroom.

Old 08-13-2022, 08:32 AM

11,477 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
NO! This is not the whole idea of a dryer!

snip

How fast you ruin your clothes is no shirt off my back. I don't have the spare money or time to waste shopping for stuff I really like, so I take care of my clothing.

A clue: If you only have one type of detergent, and/or you dry all your laundry until completely dry, you don't understand how to properly launder clothes and might want to consider using a laundry service.
Or you are guy. I am a guy.

I am cluless how to launder or dry and just live with whatever results happen to happen. Being a guy, I don't really care that much unless something shrinks catastrophically.

I buy extra big T shirts and scorch dry them to shrink-fit. Doesn't seem to be a problem. The only reason I dry my T shirts on medium rather than high is so they don't fade as fast.

Old 08-13-2022, 08:34 AM

11,477 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I go to the laundromat. When the dryer is done, I jam all my clothes into the basket, drive 30 miles back home and then dump and fold them. I wouldn't know what the Sam Hill to do with a dryer that had umpteen dials and settings. Yep, I don't know how to do laundry.
You sound like a guy.

Old 08-13-2022, 11:02 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
You sound like a guy.
It has very little to do with gender, though. Most men are capable of learning how to do a task properly and efficiently. You just don't care enough about laundry to try. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House