Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 12:26 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,131,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It has very little to do with gender, though. Most men are capable of learning how to do a task properly and efficiently. You just don't care enough about laundry to try. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Most clothing is so cheaply-made and inexpensive today that people just replace it when it starts to look worn. My son washes clothes the way depicted in previous posts, but when it comes to his car, he pulls out the all the stops. I don't buy it that men cannot learn how to take care of their clothes properly simply because they're men. They just don't think it's necessary, and it shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2022, 01:07 PM

22,844 posts, read 18,137,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
I often use this setting in the winter when outdoor line-drying isn't possible, and I find it easiest to place the clothing on hangers and hang them on a rod I installed above my washer and dryer for an hour or so until they are completely dry and ready to put away. Works for clothing I've spun to damp dry in the washer, too, although I give them a bit longer before putting them away. If you don't have a hanging rod in your laundry space, use the shower rod in your bathroom.
Much as I'd enjoy the freshness of outdoor drying, I can't hang laundry outdoors for most of the year here, and there's enough wildlife to make it risky the rest of the time (gnawing squirrels, too much wind, tangling with ill-tempered moose, etc). So, I install a drying rack or hanger rod from the ceiling of a garage, laundry room, bedroom or coat closet, whenever feasible. In this house, there's a small laundry room that a fully expanded tension shower curtain rod will span across. One end is snugged above the doorsill, the other is supported by a closet hang rod bracket mounted on the opposite wall. Damp clothes out of the dryer usually dry in a day or so, so they're a very temporary inconvenience. Another trick is to put a second tension shower curtain rod over the center of the bathtub. If there's enough of a lip where the top of the shower surround transitions to drywall, it can hold the ends of the rod up enough so I don't need to snug it tight against the wall. Easy to put up or take down when needed. If anything is wet enough to drip, the drips fall into the tub, not the bathroom floor.

Old 08-13-2022, 01:24 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,131,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Much as I'd enjoy the freshness of outdoor drying, I can't hang laundry outdoors for most of the year here, and there's enough wildlife to make it risky the rest of the time (gnawing squirrels, too much wind, tangling with ill-tempered moose, etc). So, I install a drying rack or hanger rod from the ceiling of a garage, laundry room, bedroom or coat closet, whenever feasible. In this house, there's a small laundry room that a fully expanded tension shower curtain rod will span across. One end is snugged above the doorsill, the other is supported by a closet hang rod bracket mounted on the opposite wall. Damp clothes out of the dryer usually dry in a day or so, so they're a very temporary inconvenience. Another trick is to put a second tension shower curtain rod over the center of the bathtub. If there's enough of a lip where the top of the shower surround transitions to drywall, it can hold the ends of the rod up enough so I don't need to snug it tight against the wall. Easy to put up or take down when needed. If anything is wet enough to drip, the drips fall into the tub, not the bathroom floor.

Those are excellent suggestions! My laundry closet is small, and it heats up quite a bit when the dryer is running, so I usually hang damp clothes from a rod above the units while something less prone to wear, like towels, runs in the dryer. That works well in the winter when I do not hang laundry outside. If I could not do that, I like your idea of using a tension rod in the bathroom.

Old 08-13-2022, 02:26 PM

23,519 posts, read 69,916,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Or you are guy. I am a guy.

I am cluless how to launder or dry and just live with whatever results happen to happen. Being a guy, I don't really care that much unless something shrinks catastrophically.

I buy extra big T shirts and scorch dry them to shrink-fit. Doesn't seem to be a problem. The only reason I dry my T shirts on medium rather than high is so they don't fade as fast.
I am a guy. Have been all my life.

I find that some types of masculinity are as silly as the femininity that says "I don't know anything about handling a pistol or defending myself. I'll let the guys do that." Those are just cultural games. Ready for a big shocker? The first regularly employed people using sewing machines were.... men. The people who block hats are more often than not men. Go ahead, your willy won't shrink in the wash if you learn how to launder.

As I said before, no skin off my back if you don't know the basics of handling clothes.

Oh yeah, and drying RARELY fades clothes. If you use something like Tide or add bleach, your t-shirts are guaranteed to fade. If, OTOH, you wash them in Woolite Dark (If you can find it), it will take years and years for them to fade. Most detergents contain brighteners and agents that give an easy appearance of clean and fresh, while damaging the fabric and dyes. Woolite Dark doesn't. I have blacks that have been washed a couple hundred times that are STILL black and not grey.

Old 08-13-2022, 02:38 PM

22,844 posts, read 18,137,155 times
Quote:
That works well in the winter when I do not hang laundry outside. If I could not do that, I like your idea of using a tension rod in the bathroom.
I usually keep at least one extra tension rod on hand. They store easily in a closet. Use them to hang dry all sorts of things besides clothes. If all a bath has is a shower stall, I just get the smaller sized rod for it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-13-2022 at 02:58 PM..

Old 08-13-2022, 03:00 PM

61,103 posts, read 85,909,223 times
Quote:
Those are excellent suggestions! My laundry closet is small, and it heats up quite a bit when the dryer is running, so I usually hang damp clothes from a rod above the units while something less prone to wear, like towels, runs in the dryer. That works well in the winter when I do not hang laundry outside. If I could not do that, I like your idea of using a tension rod in the bathroom.
So many cheap ideas on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/retractable-c...le+clothesline

Old 08-15-2022, 08:39 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,423,537 times
I don't always wash my clothes with husb clothes. He jams them in the washing machine and then puts them in the dryer. I like to wash mine on gentle with extra detergent and dry the load and then iron my work tops.

So, if we both have clothes (would be my workout clothes) together, he starts the washer with our clothes in there and when they are done, puts them in the dryer and I take them out and fold them right away.

If he has a few days of loads of only his clothes, he just leaves his existing clothes that were in the dryer and dumps the new ones in there in addition and dries the whole wad. I call it "recirculating." Already told him that heat from the dryer is not good for fabric. But....he wears his "not so new" looking recirculated (dried over and over again) clothes and it suits him. I don't police his laundry habits.

So it works.

Old 08-19-2022, 07:45 AM

18,359 posts, read 31,439,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I don't always wash my clothes with husb clothes. He jams them in the washing machine and then puts them in the dryer. I like to wash mine on gentle with extra detergent and dry the load and then iron my work tops.

So, if we both have clothes (would be my workout clothes) together, he starts the washer with our clothes in there and when they are done, puts them in the dryer and I take them out and fold them right away.

If he has a few days of loads of only his clothes, he just leaves his existing clothes that were in the dryer and dumps the new ones in there in addition and dries the whole wad. I call it "recirculating." Already told him that heat from the dryer is not good for fabric. But....he wears his "not so new" looking recirculated (dried over and over again) clothes and it suits him. I don't police his laundry habits.

So it works.

are the original clothes that were left in the dryer wet from a previous wash, or washed then dried but left in the dryer, then more wet clothes are added then starts another dry cycle

I'd think with clothes that were already dried but left in the dryer, why would anyone put then wet clothes in with them and then dry them all over again along with the wet clothes???

did I mis-understand something here, because that sounds ridicoulous.

Old 08-19-2022, 06:22 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,585,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
are the original clothes that were left in the dryer wet from a previous wash, or washed then dried but left in the dryer, then more wet clothes are added then starts another dry cycle

I'd think with clothes that were already dried but left in the dryer, why would anyone put then wet clothes in with them and then dry them all over again along with the wet clothes???

did I mis-understand something here, because that sounds ridicoulous.

I had the same thought. Sooner or later you are going to have to take them all out and put them away.

Old 08-21-2022, 06:56 AM

11,188 posts, read 19,350,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
I had the same thought. Sooner or later you are going to have to take them all out and put them away.

And they will all smell of mold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House