Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 04:05 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,383,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I don't want to invest in a smoker my wife doesn't really like smoked meats but I do. I seen those $15 smoker boxes on amazon has anyone tried them in a gas grill. I would turn on one burner put the smoker box over it other 2 burners would be shut off the racks would go to the right away from the burner and smoker box.
Did it this way for years.
I prefer to use pecan wood when smoking any kind of pork - just makes it taste amazing.
Mesquite for smoking chicken/fish, and oak for beef.
For a pork-butt, I just smoke just 2hrs on grill, then wrap with foil and into oven for 6-8hrs at 225. Moist/smoky/pull-apart delicious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2022, 11:38 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Did it this way for years.
I prefer to use pecan wood when smoking any kind of pork - just makes it taste amazing.
Mesquite for smoking chicken/fish, and oak for beef.
For a pork-butt, I just smoke just 2hrs on grill, then wrap with foil and into oven for 6-8hrs at 225. Moist/smoky/pull-apart delicious!
I picked up two baby back full slabs of ribs for $23 at Sams club see how it goes that was a good price.

Old 07-23-2022, 10:51 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
I got them on the grill now its a weber 3 burners 2 are off 1 is on. The apple wood smoke packets I put right on the favorizing bars that goes over the burner. I noticed the heat was going up fast I had it on low what happened was one of the smoker packets started to catch fire I got the fire out with little spray bottle and move it some.

Now I'm having a tough time keeping the temp right at the grill on the other side indirect side under 275. I stuck my electronic meat probe in where where you put setup a rotisserie it's reading about 25F higher then the Weber thermometer almost reaching 295F. All the videos I have watched online say should be lower 200's about 230 for 2 hours. I may have to prop the lid open little can't get the single burner any lower. I think this might work better with 5 burner grill but I monitor the temp and try to keep it under 275. I also have 2 tin foil trays with water under the ribs on the side without the burners going keep it moist ill go 2 hours like this then rap them in foil with some butter and other spices idea I got from a video then put the sauce on and 15 min on the grill to caramelize. I bet this could be done easier in the oven if didn't want to bother with the smoke part.

I picked up 2 full baby back racks for $23 at Sams club trimmed the fat off and pulled the membrane on one of them from my YouTube research some say leave it on for BB ribs and pull it off for spare ribs we see how it turns out one with one without. The price was good about 1/3 the cost of what a BBQ takeout smoker place charges now days at $30 a rack.

Didn't realize this got moved over to house don't know why Ill jump over to reddit to talk about cooking

Last edited by kell490; 07-23-2022 at 11:15 AM..

Old 07-23-2022, 12:18 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I got them on the grill now its a weber 3 burners 2 are off 1 is on. The apple wood smoke packets I put right on the favorizing bars that goes over the burner. I noticed the heat was going up fast I had it on low what happened was one of the smoker packets started to catch fire I got the fire out with little spray bottle and move it some.

Now I'm having a tough time keeping the temp right at the grill on the other side indirect side under 275. I stuck my electronic meat probe in where where you put setup a rotisserie it's reading about 25F higher then the Weber thermometer almost reaching 295F. All the videos I have watched online say should be lower 200's about 230 for 2 hours. I may have to prop the lid open little can't get the single burner any lower.

Yeah, I think I mentioned in a previous post that I couldn't get the gas grill to stay low enough. It will be easier and you'll get much improved results with a charcoal grill/smoker. They don't have to be expensive and the improvement is well worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House