Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 04:31 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,235,559 times

Advertisements

We bought our first house about 10 years ago and have been saving up for future repairs and the thought of a major remodel. I decided to have a plumber send a camera down our vent pipes (from the roof) since I suspected we might have a sewer line leak. Lo and behold we have at least one large chunk of ceramic pipe section missing about 6 ft from the front of the house. Since it's approximately another 60' to the city's main sewer line, the plumber estimated a pipe liner could be installed for just under $10K.

I did some Google searches and typically both the liner and a modern sewer line should last about 80 years. My question is should I go with the liner at $10K or consider replacing the entire sewer line and pipes to the house when we do a remodel (which should be in the next 2 years)? Our house is well under today's code: the walls are not insulated, the ceiling is ~85% insulated, and the 3" slab with no vapor barrier is cracked in several places. I suspect the sewer line has been leaking for over 15 years. It explains why there's so much vegetation growing under our front deck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 06:42 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
New line!

How old is the house? I’ll assume Santa Ana-

Old 08-10-2022, 09:13 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
We bought our first house about 10 years ago and have been saving up for future repairs and the thought of a major remodel. I decided to have a plumber send a camera down our vent pipes (from the roof) since I suspected we might have a sewer line leak. Lo and behold we have at least one large chunk of ceramic pipe section missing about 6 ft from the front of the house. Since it's approximately another 60' to the city's main sewer line, the plumber estimated a pipe liner could be installed for just under $10K.

I did some Google searches and typically both the liner and a modern sewer line should last about 80 years. My question is should I go with the liner at $10K or consider replacing the entire sewer line and pipes to the house when we do a remodel (which should be in the next 2 years)? Our house is well under today's code: the walls are not insulated, the ceiling is ~85% insulated, and the 3" slab with no vapor barrier is cracked in several places. I suspect the sewer line has been leaking for over 15 years. It explains why there's so much vegetation growing under our front deck.
Did you purchase sewer line insurance with your home owners policy? It's a rider which you pay extra for and might be helpful now.

Old 08-11-2022, 03:08 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post

How much was the estimate to replace the line?

Old 08-11-2022, 08:14 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
New line!... I’ll assume Santa Ana-
That makes the digging easier and shallower than in a lot of other places.
(My 1969 work runs under what was the edge of a ginormous oak)

Old 08-11-2022, 08:46 AM

1,867 posts, read 843,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
How much was the estimate to replace the line?
i dont know what prices are now but 60 feet, thats three pieces, not long ago, that be $800.

bring in mini hoe, three hours later, done

Old 08-11-2022, 09:41 AM

304 posts, read 782,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
Found this part funny...sorry!

Old 08-11-2022, 11:15 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
My sister is in the Bay Area and I think she paid about $15K to replace her line recently. The distance from her house to the street is less than mine (which is 35’), so I don’t know how much she actually had to get. Nonetheless, I think the frost lines in CA are pretty minimal, so I can’t imagine too much difference in how much people have to dig.

It seems like it would make sense to get an estimate. If it isn’t going to cost much more to replace, go ahead and do that instead of the lining. It may not be as much as the OP thinks since I doubt they are that far underground. It would make more sense here in IL where the pipes are like 4’ deep.

Old 08-11-2022, 11:28 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
My sister is in the Bay Area and I think she paid about $15K to replace her line recently. The distance from her house to the street is less than mine (which is 35’), so I don’t know how much she actually had to get. Nonetheless, I think the frost lines in CA are pretty minimal, so I can’t imagine too much difference in how much people have to dig.

It seems like it would make sense to get an estimate. If it isn’t going to cost much more to replace, go ahead and do that instead of the lining. It may not be as much as the OP thinks since I doubt they are that far underground. It would make more sense here in IL where the pipes are like 4’ deep.
A certain amount depends on what (where) they actually have to replace. If "replacing" means tearing up the house, then relining would likely make sense. But if the replacement is just out in the front yard, then it's likely cheaper to dig it up.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:38 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
i dont know what prices are now but 60 feet, thats three pieces, not long ago, that be $800.

I could do something along those lines, since I live in the country and permits are either nonexistent or easy to get. There is a "Robin Rents" that rents out such equipment, and I'm comfortable working with backhoes. In a California city, I would want to do some serious investigation on codes, utility marking, permits, and such before beginning any dig.

When doing such a job, I might also consider running a couple runs of cheap poly pipe for later landscape lighting or other circuits, or irrigation.

I've no idea on California pricing, but around here it would be steep. A company that installs septic tanks might give a better price, since this would be about an eighth of what is involved in setting a leach field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House