Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2022, 10:30 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,673,816 times

Advertisements

We just paid $6000 (yes, six thousand) to have our aggregate driveway power washed and sealed. Other bids were even higher. I know that the sealant alone would have cost us $2000. Our driveway is "h" shaped (semi-circle in front of the house, plus a straight part going back to the garage. Had no idea it would need sealed, or how costly it would be, when we bought this house.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2022, 10:46 AM

6,430 posts, read 3,137,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
We just paid $6000 (yes, six thousand) to have our aggregate driveway power washed and sealed. Other bids were even higher. I know that the sealant alone would have cost us $2000. Our driveway is "h" shaped (semi-circle in front of the house, plus a straight part going back to the garage. Had no idea it would need sealed, or how costly it would be, when we bought this house.
How big is your driveway?? Sealer, at Lowe's or Home Depot, is around $35-40/5 gallon pail. You need $2000 worth??

In other words, I highly doubt that sealing your driveway would fall under the "typical" driveway, so your costs wouldn't be a good example.

Old 08-18-2022, 01:26 PM

6,358 posts, read 4,179,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
How big is your driveway?? Sealer, at Lowe's or Home Depot, is around $35-40/5 gallon pail. You need $2000 worth??

In other words, I highly doubt that sealing your driveway would fall under the "typical" driveway, so your costs wouldn't be a good example.
The problem with the latex sealers is that they just sit on the surface and will wear off from the sun and the weather quickly whereas heated oil sealers with penetrate and bond with the aggregate to reinforce the asphalt and seal the surface.

Latex sealer is basically a short term surface coating.

Old 08-22-2022, 09:19 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
Quote:
Have you priced driveway sealer, and considered doing it yourself? My driveway is concrete, now, so I don't have to regularly seal it. However, it was asphalt at one time, and I sealed it 2-3 times by myself. The driveway was 22' wide and 75' long. Took maybe 3 buckets of sealer and about 3 hours to prep the driveway and spread the sealer.
Yes, it takes longer to prepare/clean the asphalt driveway than to spread the sealer. They are different types of sealers too, including emulsion sealer that can be used on asphalt that is not completely dry (not if raining of course). These sealers are usually applied hot. There are construction squeegees made for that purpose, but I have seen roofers using paint rollers to seal roofs with tar sealers. What I like about a squeegee is that one can push the oil into small surface cracks. Large cracks should be filled with a heavy oil first. And what I like about rollers is that one can roll back. Be there, done that long ago in the '70s.

Old 08-23-2022, 08:41 AM

6,358 posts, read 4,179,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Wow, that seems a great deal for me at $340. We had ours done a year ago, and it cost us $600. That was after getting quotes from 4 places, and it was the lowest. Maybe you have a small driveway? Ours is 22'x45'.
Getting our driveway sealed today with hot asphalt and the price is $300 for a 1220 sf driveway.

Much of the cost has to do with the specific location of where the work is being accomplished. This contractor happens to be doing several large jobs within a few miles of our home otherwise the price might have been substantially higher if they were not working in this area.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:57 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,548,500 times
Quote:
Have you priced driveway sealer, and considered doing it yourself? My driveway is concrete, now, so I don't have to regularly seal it. However, it was asphalt at one time, and I sealed it 2-3 times by myself. The driveway was 22' wide and 75' long. Took maybe 3 buckets of sealer and about 3 hours to prep the driveway and spread the sealer.
I’ve done it years ago on driveways at homes I’ve previously owned. It wasn’t too difficult, but it was a mess. Don’t want to do that anymore. I do keep it edged, though. And last summer I got the rope tar and used a torch to fill some cracks. Don’t want to do that again, either.

Old 08-24-2022, 01:00 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
Years back I sealed my own driveway. I first edged it then filled in any cracks. When it comes to sealers, if I recall, there were basically 3 thickness sealers. Thin, medium, and one that was thick as it had sand in it. I always used the sand based ones.
Jetcoat
5-Gallon Asphalt Sealer
Lowes Model #25765

Old 08-24-2022, 02:53 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,088,942 times
Never could see the purpose in painting an asphalt driveway. The State or our town doesn't 'seal' the roads so why should I do it to my driveway which gets less traffic and is made of the same material. I had mine rebuilt about 15 years ago because I wanted to add another parking space, a turn around spot so I don't have to back onto the busy road and widen it so it is a full two cars wide. It is a little grayer than it was when new but no cracks or edges collapsing so why do anything to it?

Old 08-24-2022, 07:52 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I’ve done it years ago on driveways at homes I’ve previously owned. It wasn’t too difficult, but it was a mess. Don’t want to do that anymore. I do keep it edged, though. And last summer I got the rope tar and used a torch to fill some cracks. Don’t want to do that again, either.
I forgot about the mess on your boots. What I did in the past was to wear a set of rubberized overboots that were made for that purpose. Military members years ago were issued these overboots to cover their nice and shiny shoes and boots from inclement weather (mud, rain, and things like that). When doing asphalt work, or sealing road cracks and driveways, I would wear a set of the rubber overboots over my leather boots. At the end of the work I had to use a flat screwdriver to remove the sealer and gravel stuck on the soles.

Old 08-25-2022, 11:43 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
.....When I got the estimate I learned that the price had gone from $140 to $340. Wow. Talk about inflation..........

That must be an awfully little driveway.

I had mine done yesterday and it was over $2,000. Admittedly, it is a very big driveway, hot sealed, licensed contractor.

Petroleum products have gone up steeply in price and what they should be using to seal your driveway is a petroleum derived product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House