Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 08:46 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times

Advertisements

Daughter has a a condo that has a second bedroom but really is pretty small. A Murphy Bed would be too expensive and a hideabed would be rather heavy and take up too much room for most of the time when there is no company. Is anybody familiar with these new air mattresses that have a pump and you can then deflate and put away when not in use? We would prefer a queen size as that what we have here at home. What to look for or avoid. Thanks for your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 06:14 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
I got a cheap one and it was perfectly fine for sleeping on, but I'm old enough that it's a chore to get up off it. Young folks might not have that problem.

Old 08-30-2022, 06:17 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
My son bought one at Walmart a few years ago. He was moving cross country and waiting for his furniture to arrive. A few guests also used it. It blows up quickly with the built-in pump. The biggest issue is that it can be kind of bouncy. I slept on it. It was comfortable. I'm guessing if a king would fit in the room, it would be less bouncy with two people given the additional space.

The one he bought was high enough that getting up and down wasn't an issue.

Old 08-30-2022, 09:55 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Our work bought some for hurricanes. When a hurricane approaches most of maintenance and boiler room employees have to stay for a day or two before and after the storm at the hospital. We have the small mattresses with the built in air pump. Good for a temporary guest sleepover. The bosses bought themselves an actual air mattress similar to the one in the link below. It sits higher but can be prone to sagging in the center depending on model. I don’t know the brand nor model they bought. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Beautyres...Pump/657938746

Old 08-30-2022, 10:46 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Look up SoundAsleep. I have hade one of them for about 9 years I think? I have used it as an extra place for guests to sleep in NYC and Dallas now. Multiple moves, many years, many guests and it still is very comfortable and holds air well. More than one of our guests have bought one for themselves after staying on it. Before thought I went through at least 3 air mattresses that all failed in a year or two even with just guest use like this. And this thing is still going strong. We have the Queen. I think I spent $100 9 years ago but looks like they are about $150 currently.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:56 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
We bought one from either Sam's or Costco- don't recall the brand

Queen size with a "built-in" headboard (kinda)- makes a huge difference versus one w/o. It's very comfortable, and is up or down in a matter of 3-4mins. Well worth the money.

Old 08-30-2022, 01:14 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
I have a "queen" inflatable bed (Serta?) that has a double mattress arrangement. It is VERY comfortable, inflates with a built-in pump in just a few minutes, and has a device which adds air when/if it starts to deflate a little bit. It is of very good quality. Came from Gander Mountain, which unfortunately went bankrupt/was bought out by Camping World. I am sure if you shop around you'll find a comparable piece. I think i paid $119 or so a few years back. Probably close to $200 or so these days, but nice to have when all three kids show up and need a bed for the night!

Serta Raised Air Mattress with Never Flat Pump

Old 08-30-2022, 04:32 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
I ended up going through several airbeds for a job that I wasn't confident would last long (long story short, it didn't, so glad I ended up NOT getting an actual bed). A few of them were at Walmart and were relatively flat (about 1 or 2 feet tall) and also quite affordable. They sprung a leak. A Costco one, Coleman brand, that was 4' tall, had an internal chamber rupture causing one portion to "swell up" (the air was distributed unevenly there due to that). A Sam's Club one (also Coleman) ended up working out well. My parents have a bed for the living room in case we get overflow of guests. Doesn't happen often, but nice that it's there, and it can be deflated and put away into a closet.

The latter ones had a built in pump and power cable. Earlier ones had the pump and cable as a separate thing.

Old 08-30-2022, 09:01 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
Thanks to all of you. I repped you for your answers. :-)

Old 09-04-2022, 10:09 PM

223 posts, read 144,343 times
When I first moved into my home, I purchased queen size Intex Dura-Beam Deluxe 22in air mattress from Walmart. I planned on using it until I purchased a regular bed. It's been 4 years now, and I still use it. I later purchased a queen size 4 in memory foam mattress topper for my fitted sheets. I love it. I do have to add a little air to it every 3 or 4 months. It's still cheaper then buying a real bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House