Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2022, 10:33 AM

613 posts, read 1,010,131 times

Advertisements

Probably most people have taken care of this, but I'm a little slow as a homeowner.

I just made and installed one of those insulating boxes for my attic access in the hallway ceiling. It's made the world of difference. My hallway used to feel like a sauna; now it's cool like the rest of the house. I got the idea from some youtubes demonstrating how to do it.

I used some insulating sheets - they're ~1/4 inch-thick, 2X4-ft styrofoam panels. I cut sections and taped them together with metal tape. I made sure to tape all seams. The result is a 1/2 inch thick half box that fits in the access doorframe in the attic floor. I can just push it out of the way if I need to go up there. The pull-down stairs fold up inside the box. It's a miracle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 12:49 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,523,520 times
1/4" is better than nothing, but provides little to no R value (R-1+/-). Now that you have a nice template, make another one out of 2" rigid foam board and you can get up to R-16.

Old 08-30-2022, 01:06 PM

28,575 posts, read 18,596,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Alison View Post
Probably most people have taken care of this, but I'm a little slow as a homeowner.

I just made and installed one of those insulating boxes for my attic access in the hallway ceiling. It's made the world of difference. My hallway used to feel like a sauna; now it's cool like the rest of the house. I got the idea from some youtubes demonstrating how to do it.

I used some insulating sheets - they're ~1/4 inch-thick, 2X4-ft styrofoam panels. I cut sections and taped them together with metal tape. I made sure to tape all seams. The result is a 1/2 inch thick half box that fits in the access doorframe in the attic floor. I can just push it out of the way if I need to go up there. The pull-down stairs fold up inside the box. It's a miracle!
That's not much in terms of insulation, but there should be some worthwhile effect in cutting airflow between the attic and the hallway.

Old 08-30-2022, 01:36 PM

I did double the sheets so it's 1/2 inch thick. It makes a big difference in the temperature of the hall, but I'll consider adding more, since there's space for it. Thanks!

BTW, I wonder if there's such a thing as an insulating blanket for this purpose? That would be far simpler, but would probably cost.

Old 08-30-2022, 01:43 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,371,893 times
A couple years ago I bought a product on amazon that does this, it's sort of like a reflective blanket. Not a ton of R-value but it seals nearly perfectly; it's definitely more focused on the air leakage than the insulation. You have to zip it open and closed when you go in and out of the attic.

Agree with you- made a huge difference in that hallway both in the summer and in the winter.

Old 08-30-2022, 01:51 PM

17,424 posts, read 65,620,496 times
I did something similar-

1" polystyrene box, then covered it with 4" rockwool. More importantly- weatherstrip the pulldown door around the edge.

Old 08-30-2022, 02:55 PM

NYC, that sounds like a Star Trek thing; I approve.

K', it had weatherstripping but it was a measly little piece and I don't think it was very beneficial. So I might beef that up, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House