Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 08:05 AM

11,197 posts, read 19,369,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Shower heads in the US are restricted to 2.5 gallons per minute with California limited to 1.8 gallons. You can do the math at how much you'll save.

Thank you! Does it matter which setting is used? The quantity of water I mean. When I bought my house the shower head was this huge plate sized thing, fixed in place. It was WONDERFUL, but I needed a hand held because there is no bathtub so no bathtub faucet for things like filling a bucket.

Plus it did seem like it used a LOT of water, I mean the circumference of it is 5 inches across. (I still have it) and the pressure was great. The pressure is not as great with the one I use now, I assume because of having to come up through the hose first, but all in the interest of conservation, both water and cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2022, 12:47 PM

9,785 posts, read 7,054,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Thank you! Does it matter which setting is used? The quantity of water I mean. When I bought my house the shower head was this huge plate sized thing, fixed in place. It was WONDERFUL, but I needed a hand held because there is no bathtub so no bathtub faucet for things like filling a bucket.

Plus it did seem like it used a LOT of water, I mean the circumference of it is 5 inches across. (I still have it) and the pressure was great. The pressure is not as great with the one I use now, I assume because of having to come up through the hose first, but all in the interest of conservation, both water and cost.
With so many different showerheads on the market, it's impossible to answer your question.

As for the plate sized head, it too used only the same amount of water. The manufacturers have done a great job engineering the nozzles to a satisfying bathing experience while meeting the restrictions.

Old 09-11-2022, 07:25 PM

10,143 posts, read 6,590,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I always knew there was one setting that stops the flow. I knew I guess that's so you can stop the flow while using the shower, but not have to worry about finding the right pressure and temperature again.

But is it actually okay to use regularly? Would it be bad for the plumbing? Is there a limit on how long to keep the flow turned off?

I get cold in the shower so like to keep the water running. I don't take long showers, about 5-6 minutes, but the cost of water is going up.

How much water would it save even, to stop the flow while I'm soaping up or whatever?
Not enough to really worry about. Usually, we waste more water, waiting for the hot water to arrive at the showerhead.
Anyway, if you shave in the shower, it's a lot easier to move the showerhead to "dead slow" so the water doesn't wash the soap off yer gams before you can shave. This will help you maintain the temperature and it won't bother the plumbing, one iota. (You can let it trickle down yer back, in the Winter.) This really helps reduce goose bumps.
It's also good to throttle down after you rinse your hair, then condition. Let the condition sit in your hair, then suds up the rest of you. During this time, the conditioner will be doing it's job, making your hair silky smooth. When done soaping/shaving, throttle UP your water to final rinse. BAM, yer done!

Tomorrow, we talk "How to wax!"

Old 09-11-2022, 07:37 PM

11,197 posts, read 19,369,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Not enough to really worry about. Usually, we waste more water, waiting for the hot water to arrive at the showerhead.
Anyway, if you shave in the shower, it's a lot easier to move the showerhead to "dead slow" so the water doesn't wash the soap off yer gams before you can shave. This will help you maintain the temperature and it won't bother the plumbing, one iota. (You can let it trickle down yer back, in the Winter.) This really helps reduce goose bumps.
It's also good to throttle down after you rinse your hair, then condition. Let the condition sit in your hair, then suds up the rest of you. During this time, the conditioner will be doing it's job, making your hair silky smooth. When done soaping/shaving, throttle UP your water to final rinse. BAM, yer done!

Tomorrow, we talk "How to wax!"

LOL I haven't had to shave in years. No hair on my legs at all any more. But that's what I was thinking. Even five gallons a shower would be a savings, but I'll have to see if it causes me too much discomfort.

Especially in winter.

The hot water comes faster to the shower and bathroom sink than it does to the kitchen. It takes EIGHT CUPS of water to get the hot up in the kitchen. It drives me insane. This is a tiny house and the kitchen is not much if any any further from the water heater than the bathroom.

Old 09-12-2022, 10:57 AM

3,603 posts, read 7,859,556 times
Your shower head has settings?

Old 09-12-2022, 11:55 AM

5,669 posts, read 3,508,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Your shower head has settings?
Very common. My shower head in the master bath has about 10 settings... and my wife doesn't like any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House