Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 08:24 PM

36,347 posts, read 15,952,905 times

Advertisements

Yes, I would get someone bi-weekly to come in and clean and let your Mom know what's going on.

I can neglect baseboards, ceiling walls and corners for cobwebs. After retiring a few months ago, I realized how I had been 'surface' cleaning and not those things that we don't do every week. So paying more attention to those things. When my daughter comes, once a year (CA to NC) she points out those things. She's OCD about cleaning. Not trying to live up to her standards but need to do better for myself.

Just tell her you realize she may not be able to do or see the things you do and would like someone to come in and do those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2022, 09:12 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,342,794 times
Be grateful your Mom is alive and willing to house sit. Could it be you are obsessing over unrealistic cleanliness?

Old 09-17-2022, 09:14 AM

37,463 posts, read 45,685,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I fall into this category. I'm extremely neat and tidy, almost OCD about organization, but dust and dirt don't really bother me. I was raised in a super clean house (yes, my mother even washed the walls) and helped clean the house myself as one of my chores, but I guess got out of the habit when I had two pets, one with health problems, and decided to heck with it, I'll just hire a professional deep clean before selling it. As Quentin Crisp once famously quipped, "After five years, the dust doesn't get any deeper." Some are bothered by such things and others are not. What would drive me crazy is clutter, however clean.

Of course I do the essentials: dishes, laundry, trash, sweeping. But otherwise, no biggie.

The logical solution is to hire someone to come in and clean on whatever schedule you all agree to. Who pays may be something you have to thrash out unless it's worth it to you...
I assure you, after five years, the dust absolutely gets deeper. That’s pretty disgusting. Eek!

Old 09-17-2022, 09:33 AM

48,356 posts, read 34,485,139 times
Wait.... doesn't everyone wash walls?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-17-2022, 12:46 PM

61,233 posts, read 86,123,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Be grateful your Mom is alive and willing to house sit. Could it be you are obsessing over unrealistic cleanliness?
This crossed my mind....

Old 09-17-2022, 12:51 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,007,614 times
Make a list of what needs to be done and let your mom pick from the list. Cleaning the refrigerator is no easy task either. Maybe you do some of the "harder" jobs. You may avoid the pushback then.

Old 09-17-2022, 12:56 PM

48,356 posts, read 34,485,139 times
"Clean" is subjective. It's his house, he defines the term.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-17-2022, 02:06 PM

6,893 posts, read 4,358,639 times
I find some of these posts disgusting. I can’t live in a dirty house. I would have a cleaner come in monthly.

Old 09-17-2022, 02:38 PM

36,972 posts, read 40,972,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Some people just do not see the dirt.
This may literally be true. I had a very nice, conscientious lady who cleaned for me once. Unfortunately, there came a time when she was not getting all the dirt. I finally had to talk to her about it and she broke down and confessed her vision was failing and could not be fixed. She had to quit working altogether and move in with her son.

OP, how old is your mother? Could she have vision problems?

Old 09-17-2022, 05:00 PM

6,320 posts, read 4,793,919 times
Quote:
while my house was never dirty also wasn't **** and span.
Seriously, software censor, you're asterisking that?

The product has been around for 90 years and is available on Amazon if not in stores.

https://www.amazon.com/****-Span%C2%...s%2C555&sr=8-2

I suppose our "cancel culture" will eventually force a good product off the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House