Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 04:23 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times

Advertisements

You would be surprised how they put the furnace,A/C control unit and water heater up there.
Last year 2 guys came and removed the old heater and put up the new one in the fall .
5 years ago,2 guys went up there and install a new A/C in the summer.

My water heater was leaking water,lucky I checked early,a local dentist did not pay attention,the water overflow from the catch tray and ruined his bedroom ceiling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 04:24 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
Personally I would rather have them all in the garage .

Old 09-21-2022, 05:48 PM

15,429 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Personally I would rather have them all in the garage .
The garage would not work for us, it's 30 feet away from the house. Our HVAC is in the attic, as that's where all the ducts are. My parents house has the HVAC on the second floor because thy have a cathedral ceiling, and there's nowhere to put anything. Their water heater is in the garage, on the opposite side of the hosue from the kitchen, so it takes quite a while to get hot water there.

Our water heater is a tankless gas unit installed on the outside back wall of the house. If we had a bigger house, I would probably have two tankless units outside.

Old 09-21-2022, 05:50 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
My townhouse had the water heater and the furnace in a closet on the ground floor. I have never seen any situations where a water heater was installed in an attic, but--obviously--that bizarre type of installation must exist.
My second house built in 1946 had the electric water heater in the attic. At the time I didn't think it was weird, but I certainly wouldn't have one now. I believe my 1927 bungalow also had an active one at one point, because there was an abandoned one in the attic. It was there when I bought the house and still there when I sold it 16 years later. I have no idea how anyone managed to get it up the very narrow attic ladder, but I sure wasn't going to mess with it.

Old 09-21-2022, 07:10 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
My second house built in 1946 had the electric water heater in the attic. At the time I didn't think it was weird, but I certainly wouldn't have one now. I believe my 1927 bungalow also had an active one at one point, because there was an abandoned one in the attic. It was there when I bought the house and still there when I sold it 16 years later. I have no idea how anyone managed to get it up the very narrow attic ladder, but I sure wasn't going to mess with it.

A childhood friends house had a water tank in the attic that was installed when the house was built in the 1880s. It caught rainwater off the roof to supply the house. It had been used to flush toilets up till the 1950s even after they had plumbing from the well for all the sink and bath taps. I think it was probably about 150 gallon capacity. I know they never ripped it out, I don't know if a future owner did.

Old 09-22-2022, 06:19 AM

24,533 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
During construction it is no problem.

Old 09-22-2022, 06:25 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The only part of this I'd argue with.. These are the attic pull down steps.. In general.. I'd think the plumber would carry a ladder. Set that up, use that instead of the pull down stairs (I never trust those damned things anyway)

The pull down stairs are usually slightly in the way, but you can setup a normal ladder to get around that.

Just seems a.. Complete waste of time to send another plumber out for that.

And.. Dude might want to consider a different line of work or some weight management. Some of these houses the crawlspace isn't all that big. Cabinets you have to crawl under. Things like that.

Plumbers and AC Techs.. Big guys and folks with bad knees are not perfect for those jobs. Though, in a construction environment the problems are minimized.

Electricians.. Color blind is a problem.
Where is there room with pulldown attic stairs to put a ladder in? The man also has to fit through the opening. He was smart to check the weight limit on the ladder. Many people are not comfortable on pulldown stairs. You might have a hard time finding only thin people to be plumbers. Plenty of trade workers and people in general aren't thin. In many areas plumbers don't go into attics often or in crawlspaces. Some areas only have basements.

Old 09-22-2022, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Is having a water heater in an attic common? I've never heard of that before. Is that an E Coast thing like oil heaters?
Definitely not an East Coast thing. It maybe a region or local thing. I've had houses in NY and SC and we have never had a hot water heater in an attic.

Old 09-22-2022, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Good idea,he works for a large company,and came with a company van loaded with parts and tools.
they could easily provide him with an aluminium ladder.
or he should know to have one/
Someone before him broke the lower rungs,it still work but he is rather heavy,he said he weighs 375 lbs,my guess he weighs north of 400.
He called his manager,some one in his company had an accident and was out for 9 months,so his company probably does not want anything happen to him.
They sent a guy who weighs less.
I was looking at attic ladder,it looks like Lowe has a few and they would install and remove the old one=steel,wood or AL
Regardless of his weight, I would not want to use the ladder because it was broken. I'm not interested in breaking my neck, arms, legs, or anything else. As the homeowner, you need to provide safe working conditions. I'd repair/replace those steps immediately before you end up with a lawsuit.

Old 09-22-2022, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Most of the new houses built in the last housing boom have water heater,furnace and the A/C stuff in the attic.
Maybe where you live, but this is definitely not the case everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House