Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 06:15 PM

28 posts, read 13,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, first of all just take the door off (six screws, or two hinge pins) and live with it that way a while. Like it? THEN you redo the trim; don't like it? put it back.

Easy peasy.
I'm not living there. I might have my contractor start renovation work on the house before I get there. Better to do the construction type items before the house fills up with furniture. We're in the process of building a quote for all the work and I need to decide if I'm going to include removing the framing and refinishing the door in the quote. So I kind of need to make a decision now in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
Personally I would not want any guests to see the inside of my messy closet, so I (and my wife, equally messy) keep the walk-in closet doors where they can be closed.
there wouldn't be any guests roaming around my master bedroom and bath to even get close to seeing my closet

Old 09-22-2022, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I would remove the door and see if you like that, no need to reframe it, necessarily. Store the door in the garage, mention it to whoever buys your place next.

As for moisture.... a closet door isn't going to prevent moisture in the closet, though occasional steam may take the wrinkles out of your clothes! More importantly, closing it would prevent good air circulation and probably cause mold, more than prevent it. If you create a lot of steam in there, use the fan(s) a lot. Make sure it's opened up for the best ventilation.
personally I don't like the look of a doorway if it's framed for a door and there isn't one. I prefer clean smooth drywall finish on a doorway with no door.

I'm having my contractor install a exhaust fan near the shower. Right now the exhaust fan is across the room in the toilet closet.

I believe there are ones that will turn on automatically if it detects too much humidity in the room.

I thought about the closet having better air circulation by keeping the door open. But I do believe there is an air vent in there so there is air flow.

Old 09-22-2022, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
^^^ This. The whole idea of a closet in such a moist environment makes no sense to me. About the only way I would accept it is with a dedicated dehumidifier in it. I've seen lots of house plans with them, and all I can think is that the couple that sleep in bed together don't want to see each other nekkid.
I agree with you about the closet location. My preference is to have a closet off of the bedroom. I'd rather not walk through a bathroom to get to my closet. Every place I've ever lived in life had a closet off of the bedroom and that's what I'm used to. But I wasn't going to not buy the house just because of the one closet location.

Based on my research it seems it's almost 50/50 split between people who prefer the closet off of the bathroom and those who prefer the closet off of the bedroom. Seems like a lot of couples prefer it off of the bathroom so one person can get ready in the morning without disturbing the other.

Old 09-22-2022, 08:22 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,396,492 times
Remove it and get a bi-fold or Z-fold door; louvred or flat. They fold out of the way.
A standard door there might have been to help keep the clothes from absorbing household smells like cooking, smoke from a wood-burning fireplace etc.

Old 09-23-2022, 03:58 AM

4,881 posts, read 3,303,769 times
In our last house the master walk-in was inside the bathroom. I found it odd at first, but preferred it immediately over opening into the bedroom. If I was building (designing) new, I'd have a small 'hall' area with a door to the bathroom and one to the closet... and perhaps a door to the closet IN the bathroom as well. And enough room for a bench to sit on for dressing.

Old 09-23-2022, 05:07 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,369,474 times
Our closet is accessed through the bath. The door is closed unless we are using the closet. The closet is over the garage so is large. Moisture has never been an issue.

Old 09-23-2022, 05:11 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,609,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
That seems like the best option to me. The problem with leaving the door open (and with en-suite closets generally) is that that allows for so much moisture in the closet. Previously, I had one closet where stuff got mildewed even though it was not in the bathroom. I hate to imagine how horrible it would have been if the closet were actually IN the bathroom. My main closet is on the other side of the bathroom and there is no real issue with it.

Moisture was my thought too. What a weird set up, the clothes closet in the bathroom. I wouldn't like that at all.

Old 09-23-2022, 05:34 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,505,512 times
What a weird set up, the clothes closet in the bathroom. I wouldn't like that at all.
-I have a walk in closet in my master bedroom bathroom,as the bedroom has no closet,so where do you keep your clothes?
This is the way the homebuilder gave us,what can you do?
There are some families which use it as a bedroom for kid

Old 09-23-2022, 07:55 AM

4,571 posts, read 2,710,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arubaflower View Post
I'm not living there. I might have my contractor start renovation work on the house before I get there. Better to do the construction type items before the house fills up with furniture. We're in the process of building a quote for all the work and I need to decide if I'm going to include removing the framing and refinishing the door in the quote. So I kind of need to make a decision now in advance.
Well, you're not changing framing, you're just talking about removing trim around a door opening and re-doing it in drywall (which, personally, I think is not a good idea. There's a reason why openings typically have trim around them - for one thing, painted trim protects from hand marks.

So, you could easily have a painter/drywall guy come in at pretty much any time; pull off trim, change corners to drywall; tape bed texture and paint that small area. You'd want to have drop cloths and maybe cover the clothes in the closet with same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House