Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 02:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times

Advertisements

I would think that a walk-in shower with a $39 seat would be far more practical for the handicapped person.

https://www.google.com/search?q=show...client=gws-wiz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2022, 03:19 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I haven't seen one of them in action, but do remember from advertisements that most have a pump-assisted quick drains, depending on the size of your outlet drain pipe.

It's a two minute problem in most cases, not a 5 minute problem.

https://walkinbathtubsforseniors.com...-in-tub-drain/
That's something positive. I wonder if there's some sort of safety standard? Doesn't really matter as I don't want one but I'm just curious. Suppose I could look it up!

Old 10-03-2022, 03:21 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
I have friends that had this kind of shower installed for 17,000 dollars and I don't think I would pay that kind of money for this shower.

https://www.safesteptub.com/
I wouldn't, but some people have enough money to burn, so they don't care about the costs.
I don't judge them.

BTW: those tubs are installed often for safety reasons, for elderly and disabled. So, there might be a NEED for such bathtub.

Old 10-03-2022, 03:23 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
I would be afraid my Girlfriend would open the door on the tub with water in it and flood the house. She has Dementia.
The door swings IN!
A full tub, with all that pressure against it- yeah! I highly doubt it!
If the water level was to the point of where it could be opened- you might flood the floor with a few gallons of water, but that would be it.

Old 10-03-2022, 03:59 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
A walk in tub (not shower - I have a shower with a flip down teak seat) is on my list. A walk-in tub doubles as a shower btw if you equip and design it right. Important to me is depth of the water. Some walk-in tubs are little more than a foot/leg wash. The one I'm looking at has over 19" between the seat and the overflow. That's the dimension you look for - usually deleted in the description, or hidden. I like to take a nice hot bath but can no longer crawl out of a bathtub without having to call 911.

Prices on walk-in tubs are not that exhorbitant.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 10-03-2022 at 04:41 PM..

Old 10-03-2022, 05:28 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Prices on walk-in tubs are not that exhorbitant.

It’s not the tub itself!
It’s taking out the existing; re-plumbing (permit), install new, and finish work. all of which probably costs more than the tub itself!

Welcome to the real world costs!

Old 10-03-2022, 06:59 PM

10,303 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Had one installed in the assisted living facility I used to work at. It wasn't $17,000 though. (More like $330,000.)

Our first patron, Mrs. O'Keiff tried it out. She can still move pretty good for having 4 strokes (so far.)

Anyway, she gets in and sits down. The water begins to fill the basin. 10 minutes later and she's getting cold because the water is only up to her knees. We wrap a small towel around here shoulders to keep from a chill. Waiting for the water level to come up to waist height took 25 minutes. By then, she was ready to get out. And, she was cold and miserable.

So, after spending a third of a million dollars, the walk-in tub got used exactly once. Nobody will ever use it again, because the water volume takes too long, and you HAVE to be in, when the water takes it's sweet time filling up.

If you want one in your house, be sure you have a BIG water heater, and a 1.5" fill. Figure about 85GPM should be about right. It'll only take a couple minutes to fill, then.

Old 10-03-2022, 07:19 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
I have friends that had this kind of shower installed for 17,000 dollars and I don't think I would pay that kind of money for this shower.

https://www.safesteptub.com/
That seems way overpriced. They are counting on older homeowners being willing to pay for it by borrowing against their equity in their real estate.

Old 10-03-2022, 07:25 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It’s not the tub itself!
It’s taking out the existing; re-plumbing (permit), install new, and finish work. all of which probably costs more than the tub itself!

Welcome to the real world costs!

Well, yeah. It'll cost ya no matter who installs it, etc.

I just had a small-ish bathroom remodeled with enlargement of the shower - nothing too fancy except the Corian shower pan - $18,000 - 5 grand just for the Corian pan (I want a shower floor I can clean like a counter top).

But, heck, its my money, I earned it, and I'd rather I use it on me than let some hapless relative I've never met or talked to in 40 years get it when I go 6' under. I consider my (way overpriced but good, meticulous) contractors as my heirs - taking my money for useful purposes while I'm alive and I can benefit from it.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 10-03-2022 at 07:33 PM..

Old 10-03-2022, 07:56 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Had one installed in the assisted living facility I used to work at. It wasn't $17,000 though. (More like $330,000.)

Our first patron, Mrs. O'Keiff tried it out. She can still move pretty good for having 4 strokes (so far.)

Anyway, she gets in and sits down. The water begins to fill the basin. 10 minutes later and she's getting cold because the water is only up to her knees. We wrap a small towel around here shoulders to keep from a chill. Waiting for the water level to come up to waist height took 25 minutes. By then, she was ready to get out. And, she was cold and miserable.

So, after spending a third of a million dollars, the walk-in tub got used exactly once. Nobody will ever use it again, because the water volume takes too long, and you HAVE to be in, when the water takes it's sweet time filling up.

If you want one in your house, be sure you have a BIG water heater, and a 1.5" fill. Figure about 85GPM should be about right. It'll only take a couple minutes to fill, then.
That's what I gathered from the people I've talked with who had them removed from their recently purchased homes. Thanks for confirming it with real-world info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House