Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2022, 03:42 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times

Advertisements

We're looking at replacing an old( 30 years) cast iron oil burner. The major issue is the coil plate is pretty badly corroded and the oil delivery system needs code updating. The house is 1100 sq. ft., hot water radiators. Recorded efficiency is 85% so that's still okay.
We were quoted over $11000 installed which is extremely high, IMO. I realize that right now prices on many things have jumped up 50% this past year which might explain it, but still. I'm getting another estimate but is that the going rate? Or should we spend a fraction of that if we can just get it repaired? There's no way this will pay for itself in under 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2022, 03:53 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
We're looking at replacing an old (30 years) cast iron oil burner.
We were quoted over $11000 installed which is extremely high, IMO.
On what basis did you choose the thief who quoted $11,000 ??
(to install a $600 external component) LINK

Q1) Your fuel oil company should have installers. Did you ask?
Q2) Who do your neighbors use for service? Did you ask?

Old 10-04-2022, 04:42 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
I had a new oil furnace installed in April. Small house, one floor, forced hot air baseboard registers. It cost $4900 including removal of the old. That was the lowest estimate. I had a grant and did not see the other estimates, just the final bill of work.

The first furnace they brought was too big to get down into my basement, the stairway is very narrow and the doorway is tiny. They brought a smaller model, same price. It's wonderful! And the filters are a lot cheaper too.

My furnace (came with the house) was over 50 years old and reeked of oil every time it kicked on. I went through two winters with it, I bought the house in summer 2020. It was not fixable.

Wish I could afford to have the ducts cleaned.

Old 10-04-2022, 04:45 AM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I'd replace it, you have a thirty year old unit which is about ten years past its life expectancy. The heat exchanger will be the next to go.

The price, without knowing where you are, is in the ballpark. I replaced my oil furnace about six years ago and it was $7500 without the ancillary work you mentioned.

I see you've already had the "I can do it for $10" crowd chime in.

Old 10-04-2022, 06:52 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,392 times
I purchased an Energy Kinetics System 2000, oil burner in December of 2010. It was $9,800 back then. The house is a little over 2000 square feet. It is still running well. I have it serviced every year.

Last winter a natural gas line was ran in our area, so I had them change out the burners with a conversion kit and now I have it running on gas. The cost to change it out was around $3,000. Natural gas boilers are supposed to last longer so I am hoping to get at least another 10+ years of service out of it.

I would like to add that I was very happy with my Oil burner. And I kept the oil tank and and parts to convert back to oil if it becomes more worthwhile.

Old 10-04-2022, 09:18 PM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I thought it was a very high price, but things have gotten pretty insane this past year with inflation and home prices going through the roof. So i gave them the benefit of the doubt that maybe a 50% price increase over what I'd estimated was ballpark. I'm getting another estimate next week. The installer works for a company that delivers our oil, which was bought out by a bigger company recently.
Could the coil and coil plate be repaired and then for how much? I can live with a $1000 or $1500 repair bill with the new tiger loop thing being added in.

Old 10-05-2022, 09:36 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
I thought it was a very high price, but things have gotten pretty insane this past year with inflation and home prices going through the roof. So i gave them the benefit of the doubt that maybe a 50% price increase over what I'd estimated was ballpark. I'm getting another estimate next week. The installer works for a company that delivers our oil, which was bought out by a bigger company recently.
Could the coil and coil plate be repaired and then for how much? I can live with a $1000 or $1500 repair bill with the new tiger loop thing being added in.
Tiger loops aren't expensive, but they aren't repairable. Anyway, I live in Fairbanks, Alaska and can have a 4-zone Carling boiler delivered to my house for under $3,700 with a Carlin burner (sold both sold as a unit or kit). Things are more expensive in Alaska than in most places. Parts and labor would cost me around $6,000 (the entire boiler and work) since the tiger loop on the boiler now, and the burner (Rhiello F-40), and also the boiler's manifolds can be reused-if they are made of copper. One of the manifolds is where the zone valves are mounted on.

What you want to do is to get a couple of estimates from reliable "heating" companies. Sometimes cheaper is not better. Maybe you can ask your neighbors, at least the ones who have had boilers replaced within a year or two?

Old 10-06-2022, 06:51 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
We're looking at replacing an old( 30 years) cast iron oil burner. The major issue is the coil plate is pretty badly corroded and the oil delivery system needs code updating. The house is 1100 sq. ft., hot water radiators. Recorded efficiency is 85% so that's still okay.
We were quoted over $11000 installed which is extremely high, IMO. I realize that right now prices on many things have jumped up 50% this past year which might explain it, but still. I'm getting another estimate but is that the going rate? Or should we spend a fraction of that if we can just get it repaired? There's no way this will pay for itself in under 20 years.

One pipe or two pipe system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House