Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 05:53 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
A 2000 square foot basement?

A really, really, really big dehumidifier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
No dehumidifier is needed if the house has an HRV unit (air exchanger). I imagine that such an expensive basement would include ventilation. VictimoGM has some good ideas, but what I would do since I am loaded with money-is it to figure what present to buy depending on what the receiver wants, not just depending on what I want to give. Every person has a difference sense of decoration.
Here, let me adjust the original post for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
A 2000 square foot basement?

A really, really, really big dehumidifier.
It was a joke...I thought that the "really, really, really" would have clued everyone in on it, but I guess not....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2022, 10:29 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Stripper pole.
Rose gold faucet for the bathroom.
Wine glasses https://www.amazon.com/Josephine-Whi...dp/B08LVWBFK9/
They are semi religious so no stripper pole. That will be for mine

Old 10-09-2022, 06:26 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
I don't understand why you have to give them anything at all? So they remodeled their basement? Really all they did was replicate their last basement?

Why is this a gift giving occasion?

Old 10-09-2022, 06:40 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I don't understand why you have to give them anything at all? So they remodeled their basement? Really all they did was replicate their last basement?

Why is this a gift giving occasion?
It's a 'basement warming'.

But I agree. Somebody that just spent $150k on the basement isn't going to go over-the-moon gaga when you bring them a new Yankee Candle.

Old 10-09-2022, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
It's a 'basement warming'.

But I agree. Somebody that just spent $150k on the basement isn't going to go over-the-moon gaga when you bring them a new Yankee Candle.

So just another gift grab event. Good grief. Surely they can have a basement warming party without expecting people to bring gifts.

Old 10-09-2022, 08:01 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Did they say gifts were necessary or is the OP just a nice person? Nothing in the original post says anything about gifts being required. It says the OP would like to bring a gift. So they're just nice people.

Old 10-09-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Did they say gifts were necessary or is the OP just a nice person? Nothing in the original post says anything about gifts being required. It says the OP would like to bring a gift. So they're just nice people.

Ok, that's a good point. Sometimes invites will specify "no gifts please", especially in a situation like this, but maybe this one didn't. Of course, gift giving isn't always about being "nice" either.

Old 10-09-2022, 12:39 PM

3,140 posts, read 1,595,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Not envious at all. DH and I retired in our mid-fifties (twenty+ years ago) and have travelled the world several times.

IMHO, gathering new experiences whilst travelling beats sitting in a basement drinking booze and watching movies. Plenty of time for that when I get old!
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Who says they don't travel just because they finished their basement?
Touche.

Some people get a lot of enjoyment out of entertaining friends and doing so in their finished basement makes it an easy gathering place.

When you get old, some of those friends may be dead.

Gift Idea: A humorous apron for the bartender or personalized with friend's name.

Last edited by Maddie104; 10-09-2022 at 12:49 PM..

Old 10-09-2022, 02:57 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
The liquor is always appropriate if they have a bar - someone would always be able to use it - even if they don’t need it themselves.

How much would you like to spend?

There are rare liquors which makes a classy gift which won’t be a useless “thing”.

You know your friends - you should be able to find something that would impress them and maybe even give them some bragging right - making you a hero.

https://www.whiskyflavour.com/blog/o...rare-whiskies/

If they drink wine: order a great year wine case from a great appellation?

You could present a short description of the wine/vineyard with the card explaining when the wine will be delivered

An expensive bottle of champagne is always appropriate as well. They do celebrate the New Year, etc?
Some may come with a fancy gift accoutrements even

If you are not familiar with champagnes or short on cash - below are somewhat ordinary and affordable but still appropriate as a hostess gift.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/le...mpagne-brands/

They are your friends, they want to impress you with their new entertainment “cave” - just come well dressed and happy and have fun enjoying your friend’s accomplishment - don’t think they want you to ruminate and get frustrated looking for a gift for an occasion.

Booth is always appropriate if people have a bar at home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House