Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 07:55 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,303,084 times

Advertisements

I need to replace a bunch of 4' florescent lights. Upon research, I found that many LED lights are designed so that the tubes are FIXED to the lighting fixture. The claim is that the light tube will last 10 years; when the time is up, the whole light needs to be replaced.

Is this 10-year durability claim true or not? My experience is tubes can go out any time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2022, 08:04 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
In my experience, the LED lights durability is overrated. I still use them but I make sure the units are still easily replaceable. Example, I paid a little extra for outdoor string lights that are still have standard sockets; LED light bulbs screwed in.

Old 10-08-2022, 08:24 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,724,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I need to replace a bunch of 4' florescent lights. Upon research, I found that many LED lights are designed so that the tubes are FIXED to the lighting fixture. The claim is that the light tube will last 10 years; when the time is up, the whole light needs to be replaced.

Is this 10-year durability claim true or not? My experience is tubes can go out any time.
I replaced the 4' florescent light fixtures in my kitchen and "hobby room" with LED light fixtures. I also replaced a bunch of decorative incandescent light bulbs in our bathroom with individual LED bulbs. The LED light bulbs cost more initially, but they use MUCH less electricity in operation plus the fact that they give off much less heat.

I figure that the LED fixtures and bulbs will pay for themselves in energy savings in about a year. After that, the savings are like free money. And this doesn't even consider the fact that the LED lights offer much better lighting than the florescent or incandescent lights.

I haven't had any of the LED lights in use for more than a couple of years, so I can't tell you if they will last for 10 years or not, but, IMO, they've already paid for themselves plus provided better lighting.

Old 10-08-2022, 08:53 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Why not just use the 4’ LED tubes???
No need to replace fixture-

Old 10-08-2022, 09:16 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,303,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Why not just use the 4’ LED tubes???
No need to replace fixture-
I attempted that already. The LED light has little dots that lit up, but just barely; I only see a row of white dots. What do you think is the issue?

My handyman said something needs to be replaced (is it the ballast?). My handyman is kind of incompetent so I have little confidence is what he tells me. I thought it's easier if I just replace the whole fixtures which are maybe 40 years old. Time to bring them into 21 century.

Old 10-08-2022, 11:10 AM

294 posts, read 235,464 times
Yeah, the first things that go out on fluorescents are the bulbs, next come the ballasts. I agree, replace the whole thing, whichever LED fixture you prefer. Look for things like brightness and color temperature, and whether they light up instantly or have an annoying delay.

Old 10-08-2022, 12:00 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I attempted that already. The LED light has little dots that lit up, but just barely; I only see a row of white dots. What do you think is the issue?

My handyman said something needs to be replaced (is it the ballast?). My handyman is kind of incompetent so I have little confidence is what he tells me. I thought it's easier if I just replace the whole fixtures which are maybe 40 years old. Time to bring them into 21 century.

The "21st century"???
You just need to upgrade the "light"!

There are two different types of replacement LED tubes- those that work with the already installed ballast- and those that work w/o a ballast (those are just a matter of doing a little "re-wiring- by-passing the ballast).

Make sure you have the right one for the condition.

Old 10-08-2022, 02:02 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
I really, really try to choose fixtures with replaceable LEDs, but it takes careful shopping. The idea of replacing the entire fixture when its built-in LEDs fail may seem convenient, but it is also unsustainable. Energy saving or not, you're tossing a lot more into a landfill than the LEDs themselves. It's still wasteful; just in a different way.

Old 10-08-2022, 08:30 PM

15,427 posts, read 7,482,091 times
I saw a farm video where they used these guys to replace their shop lights with LEDs. It might be worth calling them and asking what they recommend. The install lights on 30ft and taller ceilings, so they have to be reliable. https://www.nwlightingsystems.com/our-products/

This video shows the installation of the lights the farm guys chose for their shop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBeyLUcgi0M The guys are young and act like it sometimes, but their work is good. I've been impressed with the stuff they've done for repairs and fabrication.

Old 10-08-2022, 08:31 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I really, really try to choose fixtures with replaceable LEDs, but it takes careful shopping. The idea of replacing the entire fixture when its built-in LEDs fail may seem convenient, but it is also unsustainable. Energy saving or not, you're tossing a lot more into a landfill than the LEDs themselves. It's still wasteful; just in a different way.
With an all-in-one fixture and bulb, you also have to pay an electrician to replace the entire fixture in 10 or fewer years. I would buy a fixture with replaceable bulbs. I can replace light bulbs without an electrician's help.

When LED bulbs were new, I had more than a few go bad in less than a year. The ones being sold today seem more reliable but I'm still not betting on 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House