Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 01:06 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
We're opting for front-loading washer/dryer sets on pedestals. We also have floor drains in our laundry rooms.

Make sure you ask if it has a pedestal because a lot do not these days. The Maytag I bought doesn't support it. I haven't bought an off brand one yet to see if it will or won't work with the dryer. I need it raised. I also miss having the drawer. I used to keep a lot of stuff in it, not only laundry detergent, I threw socks missing their pair in it so when another got lost, I reached in to grab the singleton lol

IIRC, it's only front loaders that could get one. It made no sense to me that a dryer is a front loader but it didn't support a pedestal.

Lowes sells off branded ones, I want to grab one of those if it's big enough. My hub said he would make me a base eventually. I want a drawer on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Our Samsung front loader is 15 years old. Haven't had any issues with it at all.

Our experience is that our Samsung front loader gets clothes cleaner than any of our top loaders ever did.

I'd read Samsung made great washer and dryers but it sounds like that is in the past. If you go to Lowes or Depot to read reviews people are having all sorts of issues with appliances. Fridges too. The Lowes sales guy said he gets more people complaining about their Samsung appliance then any other brand. I was heart broken because I really wanted their large capacity washer that was out of stock in 2021. The actual reviews were mixed, some good, some bad but it seemed that way for a lot of products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Around 2 years ago, we replaced our old set with very basic Whirlpool washer and dryer. Top load washer, regular frontload dryer. The washer doesn’t have an agitator, which I seem to remember we didn’t a lot of choice in that matter. I really don’t like it, as it seems the darn thing always goes off balance just a bit, no matter how carefully I load it.

And the dryer dries way too hot, even on extra low. Only way to get less heat is to put it on air fluff, which doesn’t dry a regular load at all.

Have to say that Maytag washer I have does not have many issues with going off balance. It seems like it is self leveling to where I'll see through the glass lid when it starts spinning a bulky clothes load, the drum will **** to one side. It immediately catch it, the drum spins perfect.

Having said that, if I load a comforter and maybe two bath sized towels, it does not like that, I will have to reach in, put the clothes in better, then let it go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2022, 04:54 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
We have a Maytag, it says commercial on the top. Top loading, but huge capacity. I can wash a comforter in there. Also Maytag dryer. They are work horses. No complaints.

Only problem is they are in the basement, and won't fit in the closet upstairs.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 10-18-2022 at 05:41 AM..

Old 10-18-2022, 05:36 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Have you tried Haier?
Thanks for the suggestion.

These would fit in the space, dryer has the vented option, and washer has the largest capacity I've seen for a 24" washer.

Reviews on the Haier website were positive except for a couple that mentioned problems including a squeaky dryer. Haier responded to the complaints. Always a good sign.

Has anyone had any person experience with Haier?

Old 10-18-2022, 10:37 AM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Make sure whatever you get has a second rinse option. I long for the days of simple washers that let a person set the water level and open the lid to add things at the last minute. I'm not a fan of front loaders, but I am not short, either.

One thing I learned from a news article was that it's not necessary to use the amount of soap recommended by the soap manufacturer. Most of us are not getting our clothes that dirty. Of course for pod users that's not doable.

Old 10-18-2022, 10:46 AM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I hate my washer (it came brand new with the house). It has all the bells and whistles but I long for something simple. I want a dial that lets ME decide whether I want low, medium, or high water level.

Right now, if I were to put two bras, three panties and a t-shirt in the washer, it will give me high water level. If I put four bath towels in, it'll fill up to an inch over the towels and slosh them around, same for the rinse unless I set it on the Godzilla's Sleeping Bag setting, which means it'll wash for what seems to be an hour.

Any day now, any day now, I'm getting a simple washer (yes, they actually still have them) and selling the fancy one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
We're opting for front-loading washer/dryer sets on pedestals. We also have floor drains in our laundry rooms.
I may not agree on the front loader, but all laundry rooms should have a floor drain - just in case. Kind of like all baths and showers should have grab bars just in case.

Old 10-18-2022, 12:04 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Make sure you ask if it has a pedestal because a lot do not these days. The Maytag I bought doesn't support it. I haven't bought an off brand one yet to see if it will or won't work with the dryer. I need it raised. I also miss having the drawer. I used to keep a lot of stuff in it, not only laundry detergent, I threw socks missing their pair in it so when another got lost, I reached in to grab the singleton
Thanks, we've settled on LG washer/dryers... not only do they have pedestals with extra storage, they even offer pedestals with mini-washing machines built in. It's not something we need, but I imagine there are people out there that would find it useful.

https://www.lg.com/us/pedestal-washers

Old 10-18-2022, 12:41 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I got a Speed Queen washer a little over a year ago when my old Whirlpool reached the end of it's life. I was lucky to find a place that had 2 in their warehouse and I would have bought a matching dryer too but those were out of stock. I'm glad I just got the washer and I really like it, but I like the design of my dryer, with the door that opens down, better than the side open doors of the SQ dryer. This is the best set up for me and one that I'll keep in the future. Even if this dryer becomes unrepairable I'll probably just look for something cheaper than the SQ dryer

Old 10-18-2022, 12:45 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Can't tell you what's great on the current market, but I bought Fisher&Paykel Ecosmart in 2000 and never ever had any issue with it. No repairs, no maintenance other than every 20 washes or so, I drop in a descaling tab and run cleaning cycle.
Best ever product to me.
I know, it's 22 years old, but it works like a charm and clothes are super clean (using Persil powder).

Most of my appliances are made in Australia/NZ and they are superior quality in my opinion. (Breville never disappointed either).

Old 10-18-2022, 09:07 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
If/when the washer decides to throw a fit, I want its water/soap/unfinished soggy load to stay conveniently contained inside the machine, not end up all over the floor. Top load for me.
It does...I have a front load and if I stop it for whatever reason I can open it without water coming out. It's designed to do that.

Old 10-18-2022, 09:12 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I give up. What brand is HG? Would it have killed you to spell it out?
Maybe they meant LG?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House