Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 03:02 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times

Advertisements

This stems from a discussion with a couple friends where everyone had a different answer = if you had to choose exactly three pots/pans to stock your kitchen, which would they be? I went for:

1. 10" stainless steel skillet
2. Medium sized stainless sauce pot
3. Enameled cast iron dutch oven

I know there are some hardcore cast iron folks, but the stainless steel skillet can do everything the cast iron can do (although some things not as well) while also handing acidic foods/sauces and recipes that require more precise temperature control. The dutch iron can sub for lack of a large stock pot while also doing braising, stews, act as a casserole dish in the oven, etc.

So curious what you guys would have?

As an aside we also did same with three utensils (me = stainless steel slotted fish turner, silicone spoonula, and tongs) and knives (Chinese cleaver, paring knife, serrated bread knife). Everyone else had chefs/paring/serrated for the knives but I think a Chinese cleaver can do everything a chef's knife can do but I like the way since taller can keep your knuckles on it easier, plus can scoop up what you sliced using the knife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 04:03 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
How do you debone a chicken with a cleaver?

Old 10-20-2022, 04:07 PM

1,264 posts, read 665,727 times
I like your angle on cooking and agree with most everything you would use except I prefer a carbon steel pan and a chef's knife over the stainless pan and the clever. It's just personal choice but I do get what you said about the clever and have used one occasionally and like its functionality, but I guess I've used a chef's knife for so long it would be hard to change especially when trying to be fast. If I was taught using a clever long ago that would be my choice.
Nice thread too!

Old 10-20-2022, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
How do you debone a chicken with a cleaver?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgaUEPKNZQo

I think either chef or cleaver would be fine as the cornerstone of the cutting arsenal, but with only three I can't imagine using a slot for a boning knife or slicer.

Old 10-20-2022, 05:39 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
I am particular to my Santuko 10 inch. Three of the same are in the knife drawer.

Old 10-20-2022, 05:57 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Mine are all stainless steel w/copper core, and these are the three I'd pick if pressed to choose:

5-quart stock pot that doubles as a Dutch oven
10" "skillet"; it has two small handles instead of one long one
2-quart saucepan

Knives:

6" chef's knife
Bread knife
Small sharp paring knife

Other small utensils:

vegetable peeler/scraper
silicon spatula
metal spatula/pancake turner

Old 10-20-2022, 06:19 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
This stems from a discussion with a couple friends where everyone had a different answer = if you had to choose exactly three pots/pans to stock your kitchen, which would they be? I went for:

1. 10" stainless steel skillet
2. Medium sized stainless sauce pot
3. Enameled cast iron dutch oven

I know there are some hardcore cast iron folks, but the stainless steel skillet can do everything the cast iron can do (although some things not as well) while also handing acidic foods/sauces and recipes that require more precise temperature control. The dutch iron can sub for lack of a large stock pot while also doing braising, stews, act as a casserole dish in the oven, etc.

So curious what you guys would have?

As an aside we also did same with three utensils (me = stainless steel slotted fish turner, silicone spoonula, and tongs) and knives (Chinese cleaver, paring knife, serrated bread knife). Everyone else had chefs/paring/serrated for the knives but I think a Chinese cleaver can do everything a chef's knife can do but I like the way since taller can keep your knuckles on it easier, plus can scoop up what you sliced using the knife.
There are no right or wrong answers, just better choices for the way you cook.

10" SS dry pan with at least 2" sides is my basic choice
2 quart sauce pan
4 gal tin pot

The pot can be used with sous vide, and it handles bulk cooking for freezing. I just finished making a dozen servings of chicken noodle soup in mine, and I often use it to make goulash.

Tongs, spatula, 8 oz ladle or maybe a fine mesh spider

Small fish filleting knife
Chef's knife
Kirby vacuum knife - 14" long. deeply serrated on one side, the other side looks like a tree saw and is used for deep cutting and cutting frozen foods. My wife was proud that she listened to the entire spiel of a Kirby salesman who used the knife as a sales hook, smiled at him and said no thanks but thanks for the knife. He sputtered but she held her ground. That was back when she was first taking back her power from those who were abusing it.

Old 10-20-2022, 06:28 PM

7,521 posts, read 3,231,998 times
I'm keeping everything that I have fit into that section of my cupboards. But, if forced at gunpoint to take three pans with me I would choose a 10" skillet with lid; a 4 quart sauce pot with lid and, an 8 quart stock pot with lid (all stainless steel).

Old 10-20-2022, 06:32 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Fun game, so I can only have 3 pot and pans..wow. Imagining boarding a ship to get out of
a disaster area and that is all I am allowed.
OK
1. my Pressure cooker! Can, of course, be used as a regular big pot! Don't need a Dutch oven anymore.
2. my biggish, wok style pan with a handle, lid, I love for stir fries.
3. Hmm, hard one - since the wok type pan serves many ways, cooking meats,
sauces, frying eggs, bacon ...
would a tea kettle count as a pot? Then that! I would miss my tea kettle!

Old 10-20-2022, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
3. Hmm, hard one - since the wok type pan serves many ways, cooking meats,
sauces, frying eggs, bacon ...
Clever!

That is the weakest link in my setup. I know one can make eggs on stainless steel but you have to be really spot on with the temperature, I prefer to have a cheapo nonstick pan just for eggs since so much more forgiving and less fat needed, but this would have to be a game of at least 7-8 slots for that to make the rotation.

For some reason I never thought of a wok for eggs, aside from Chinese omelette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I am particular to my Santuko 10 inch. Three of the same are in the knife drawer.
Yep, hot switch when on a roll chopping and one gets dirty.

Last edited by lieqiang; 10-20-2022 at 06:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House