Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 05:03 PM

509 posts, read 516,790 times

Advertisements

I am building a fence I'm my yard, but I need a massive gate.
16 feet wide.
I was thinking of 2 8ft gates that open like a barn door.

My only concern, is will this be heavier than hinges can handle? Is there a limit to how long a gate can be do a hinge? Is there a math formula to figure this out?

And thoughts and advice would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2022, 05:57 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
Why do you need a 16' gate? Seriously that is bigger than many commercial gates. You not only need to worry about the hinges but how securely the posts are anchored to take the load.

Old 10-30-2022, 06:37 PM

8,174 posts, read 6,924,107 times
6x6 posts buried 3 feet deep (w/ concrete like a normal fence post) and have heavy-duty gate wheels? (The first place that came up was wayfair) , but I'm sure you could get them cheaper somewhere else, tractor supply maybe?

I don't know. This is just the first thing to pop in my head.
Not sure if it would work for your particular situation or not.

Old 10-30-2022, 06:42 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
For this big of a opening, why not sliding/rolling? I have a 12" gate on one of my properties but it is automatic/powered and slides open.

But as asked earlier - why so wide?

Old 10-30-2022, 08:23 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Build it as big as you want-
The post that will support it will come into play. The hinges- that’s just a matter of using the correct type based on the expected weight of the gate. I think it would be safe to say that a typical strap hinge is not in the cards!

A working gate that slides can be built for less as far as the materials/products needed to support it.

Old 10-31-2022, 08:52 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,361,632 times
Can you use casters to help prevent sagging ? They may also facilitate swinging open and closed easier.

Old 10-31-2022, 10:46 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Depends how often you need to open them. If it's a gate you use frequently, split gates can be a nuisance, as anyone who has ever had to chase the two sides to stay closed at the same time will tell you. If occasional, then split gates will work fine, and you can put a block under them when closed (or a wheel if that works with the setup) so the weight of the gate isn't pulling the posts over when the gates are at rest. That will save you a lot of sagging stress.

The key to strong gates is in braced gate posts, as much as the construction of the gate itself.

Old 10-31-2022, 12:24 PM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRebel View Post
16 feet wide.

My only concern, is will this be heavier than hinges can handle? Is there a limit to how long a gate can be do a hinge? Is there a math formula to figure this out?

Place down the road from me sells post and poles and hardware for serious ranch gates. You can build it any size you want. I'd talk to a fencing company on hardware.

Look at the sizes of some of these gates. Open the pictures and then you can scroll thru them. There's one that is electrically operated but still has the ranch feel to it.

https://www.marks-miller.com/gates

Just an example of wooden post and pole gates, but any good fencing company will have solutions to your needs.

Old 10-31-2022, 12:51 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRebel View Post
16 feet wide.

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense. "Barn door" generally refers to a door with an overhead track, where the door slides on rollers, but is not hinged. If the door is unhinged...

For a gate that size, I would probably dig a trench 32' long and have cement poured with an embedded and slightly raised metal track (old streetcar track would be perfect), then have a couple of double flanged wheels at the base ends of the gate panel, and a couple of roller guides to hold it vertical when rolling. Actual gate length would need to be about three or four feet longer so the thing didn't torque down in any wind when you were opening or closing it.

An overhead track, like a barn door, would limit the height of anything passing through. A couple three bales of hay on a truck gets quite high.

If you want a double hinged gate, then you need a hole in the center filled with cement and with a couple holes for gate pins. The way to handle the weight without stressing hinges or attachment points is to have the gate posts go up ten or twelve feet and use pivoting cable stays from the top of those to the BOTTOM of the open ends of the gates, with brackets to hold them tight where they exit the tops of the gates. Most of the static stress will then be a push pressure on the bottom gate hinge, damage from which could be minimized with a push plate that came up tight against the gate when fully closed.

The cheap way around here for a gate that isn't used much is to just wire together a couple cattle panels.

What you might not consider while thinking about fences and gates is wind load. In Florida, that can be major.

Old 10-31-2022, 03:27 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

A working gate that slides can be built for less as far as the materials/products needed to support it.
This is probably what I'd do. A rolling gate that runs a prescribed track parallel to the fence and that always has ground support would be easier to control. Plus, you wouldn't need to provide clearance for each wing of the gate to swing. You already cleared a path for the fence, right? I have wrestled with more double swing gates than I care to remember; cattle panel, wooden, chain link, wrought iron, metal adjustable arm, etc. If they're properly adjusted and maintained, one or both sides can get away from you in a puff of wind and pack quite a wallop on something passing between them (like your car, a delivery truck, etc). If they aren't, they earn the nickname "shoulder gates". The wider the swing, the more unhappy that shoulder .

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-31-2022 at 04:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House