Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2022, 08:55 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times

Advertisements

My housemate recently bought one of these, and I finally tried to bake something using the oven feature. It did not work out well. Of course, the microwave is fine. The air fryer is just OK, but the baking oven so far is a fail. Anyone have any experiences to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2022, 09:03 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Doesn't seem to make much sense. Microwaves are so cheap that buying a standalone one separates the microwave function (which does not involve heating elements or thermostats) from the oven/broiler/convection functions, which are all about heating elements (below for oven, above for broil) and thermostats. I'm no expert on microwaves but I'd not be surprised to find that the design factors that make a good microwave make a bad oven and vice versa.

As a user of various tools both personally and professionally, single purpose tools almost always outperform multi-purpose tools by a very wide margin.

Old 11-08-2022, 12:19 PM

Yes, the jury is still out on the oven. I need to read the manual and make sure I didn't make a mistake somehow. All I did was push the oven button and then choose the temp and time. Should have been enough, but I guess not. The manual might also say something about what to bake in there. I tried to bake corn bread and it took 3 times as long to get done. Too crusty on the edges.

The air fryer is OK, it's just that again, it takes twice as long to fry something as in our very small air fryer.

Old 11-08-2022, 04:58 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
With almost any oven, there are two main caveats:

1. The temperature reading of the thermostat can be off by as much as 40 degrees F. An oven thermometer is needed.

2. Ovens take about 20 minutes to fully heat and stabilize. It may SAY the temperature has been reached, but that is for newbies reheating pizza.

You can also us something like a pizza stone or a few blocks of quarry tile to even out the temperature fluctuations in just about any oven. Some of them really benefit.

Old 11-08-2022, 05:00 PM

Awesome, thanks. I will try that.

Old 11-09-2022, 10:22 AM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Doesn't seem to make much sense. Microwaves are so cheap that buying a standalone one separates the microwave function (which does not involve heating elements or thermostats) from the oven/broiler/convection functions, which are all about heating elements (below for oven, above for broil) and thermostats. I'm no expert on microwaves but I'd not be surprised to find that the design factors that make a good microwave make a bad oven and vice versa.

As a user of various tools both personally and professionally, single purpose tools almost always outperform multi-purpose tools by a very wide margin.

"Specialty" devices kinda suck all around. I didn't even know such a thing as OP is talking about existed..

The problem I'd see with it.. Microwaves are disposable for the most part. They basically have one part to fail, the magnetron.. It goes.. you toss the microwave and buy a new one, because it's non-economical to replace.

But, once it's a part of another device.. That all changes.

Same thing with those 'mounted' microwaves. By the time you've been in your house for 5 years.. That thing isn't being made anymore. So, half the time, not only can you not get parts for it.. but you can't replace it with the same or similar model... And now you have a mismatched microwave. Which is a trigger for some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House