Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 06:15 PM

10,304 posts, read 6,837,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This won't solve the problem if, as the OP wrote, the streaks appear to be on the glass inside the sealed units! If the units are taken apart to expose those inner panels, cleaned, resealed and re-installed, it might.
Usually, that interstitial space has nitrogen gas. N prohibits water/fog or insects to camp in that area. This is why, there are seals. To contain the N.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2022, 07:43 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
I can say that I’ve been having issues with streaking for about a year. No clue what the deal is. I broke down and got some microfiber cloths that are not fluffy. They’re just knit. I have been using plain old rubbing alcohol. Fold up the microfiber cloth into a small tight square, pour alcohol on it, do small circles on the window, follow up right behind it with a clean microfiber rag to dry, no more streaking, no more rainbow film — perfect windows.

It was really driving me crazy in the car. Now the windows are clean. And they stay that way for a few weeks.

Old 12-29-2022, 08:48 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Usually, that interstitial space has nitrogen gas. N prohibits water/fog or insects to camp in that area. This is why, there are seals. To contain the N.
Right
The two panes of glass in a double-pane window are actually separated by a thin interior air pocket. When the windows are manufactured, this pocket is often filled with a non-toxic, insulating gas - like argon or krypton - and then sealed tight.

If your home’s double-pane windows are clouding or steaming up between the two panes of glass, that’s a good sign that the interior air pocket has been breached, the insulating gas has escaped, and that moist air is entering into the gap.

Without its insulating gas in the sealed air pocket, your window loses a great deal of its energy-efficiency.

https://residentialglass.net/blog/double-pane-windows

So, I am not sure about replacing the glass...

Old 12-30-2022, 01:47 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I understand this. However, if the seals on those window units have failed, that's when you can end up with streaking/staining from condensation. To get rid of the streaking you'd need to disassemble the units, clean the glass (shouldn't need to replace the glass panels), re-assemble, seal, recharge with N again, and set them back into the window frames. BTDT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House