Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 10:01 AM

564 posts, read 1,720,564 times

Advertisements

We are considering purchasing a Home Warranty plan with one of the better known companies. We've been in our home 5 years now, but would appreciate having our home repairs addressed with one phone call, while, ideally, spending less overall. We've never had a home warranty plan, so here's what our current understanding is:
1. A yearly fee is paid upfront (or through a payment plan).
2. For every repair needed, big or small, there is a flat fee of about $100 plus or minus - that varies, depending on the company
2. Some companies cover pre-existing conditions (for example, we now have a leaking toilet and the water pressure valve needs adjustment)

Questions:
1. Is our understanding correct? Anything else we should be aware of?
2. Do these types of home warranty plans save you money overall on home repairs? Are they worth it?
Because repairs can be expensive if one handles them one by one.
3. Which companies have you had experience with, and are there some that are better than others? A Forbes comparison of home warranty providers lists Select Home Warranty and Choice Home Warranty as top choices, with AFC Home Club coming close behind the top two.

Anything that you can offer to help us make a decision on getting one or not, it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2022, 11:50 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I'd post your question under the House or Real Estate subforums. Do a forum search first. Warranties have been discussed there multiple times. IIRC, a few people found they could provide a benefit for a newly purchased home when some major unexpected problem an inspection didn't detect comes to light (something much more significant than a leaking toilet), but over time they weren't a great deal. Most find they're better off creating a dedicated account to fund home maintenance and repairs for themselves. Among other things, the fine print often restricts you to using their network of repair companies and they'll do whatever is most convenient that costs them the least. They might be the least desirable regional companies to deal with.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-25-2022 at 12:08 PM..

Old 11-25-2022, 07:56 PM

564 posts, read 1,720,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I'd post your question under the House or Real Estate subforums. Do a forum search first. Warranties have been discussed there multiple times. IIRC, a few people found they could provide a benefit for a newly purchased home when some major unexpected problem an inspection didn't detect comes to light (something much more significant than a leaking toilet), but over time they weren't a great deal. Most find they're better off creating a dedicated account to fund home maintenance and repairs for themselves. Among other things, the fine print often restricts you to using their network of repair companies and they'll do whatever is most convenient that costs them the least. They might be the least desirable regional companies to deal with.
Thanks, I did post there as well.

Old 11-27-2022, 10:35 AM

743 posts, read 875,129 times
Some people love them, I think they suck. We had the seller pay for a home warranty. After 2 months, the pool pump went out. Well, too bad for us because the so called warranty had a 90 day waiting period before it kicked in. Then we had another issue. They send out "their" repair people to check it out. That cost $100. This repair person was pretty bottom of the barrel in my opinion and didn't solve the problem. So we were out $100.

To each his own, but I wouldn't buy one again or have a seller pay for one either. What a waste of $500. If I would've just taken the $500, my expenses would've only been $200. Instead I had to buy a pump (650) and a new part for the other problem (50).

Old 11-27-2022, 12:41 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
OP waste of money. Put that $100.00 monthly warranty fee away into a repair fund at the bank for future repairs. You'll save in the long run.
These warranty company's use sub par contractor's who in many cases have no idea what they're doing using shoddy repairs and sub par replacement parts.
One of our neighbors got talked into a warranty service and it was a nightmare. They ended up after a hassle finally getting to cancel out. They had an air conditioner problem that the warranty people sent out someone to fix it. It was a simple repair but the contractor di not know what he was doing and It ended up worse than before and the neighbor ended up having to buy a new system.

Old 11-27-2022, 02:55 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
Some people love them, I think they suck. We had the seller pay for a home warranty. After 2 months, the pool pump went out. Well, too bad for us because the so called warranty had a 90 day waiting period before it kicked in.
Wanna bet that "waiting period" is imposed so the warrantor doesn't have to pay for some larger problem the buyer's home inspection didn't find? Major ones probably come to light pretty quickly after the purchase.

Old 11-27-2022, 07:33 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Ever heard that sayin’-

“Ain’t worth the paper they’re written on!”????

Old 11-28-2022, 08:52 AM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Think on the following questions and you will find the answer.

1) Are "home warranty" companies charitable enterprises, or businesses that require profit to continue operating?
2) What are the major sources of income for such businesses?
3) What are the major expenses for such businesses?
4) Does Profit = income - expenses?
5) What will the average consumer's experience therefore turn out to be?

Old 11-28-2022, 05:41 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
Do a search on the topic. We get tired of trying to stop you from wasting your money.

Old 11-29-2022, 05:46 AM

337 posts, read 448,298 times
I'd rather run through hell with gasoline underwear on than purchase a home warranty if that clearly shows which side of the fence I am on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House