Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2022, 06:36 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,325 times

Advertisements

Hey all! Just moved into a new apartment and noticed the dryer smells like onions. It doesn’t transfer to the Landry thank goodness! Is there something I can do to get rid of the smell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2022, 07:35 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,380,234 times
Did you bring your own washer and dryer to your apartment or do you use a communal laundry room? It's probably not the dryer itself but a gas leak (seals failed or there is a crack in the line) or carbon monoxide leak. Make sure the exhaust pipe isn't blocked with lint etc. It can catch on fire.

Ask maintenance. Get yourself a gas detector and carbon monoxide detector. Best to be safe than sorry.

Old 11-25-2022, 07:44 PM

17,472 posts, read 65,994,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Did you bring your own washer and dryer to your apartment or do you use a communal laundry room? It's probably not the dryer itself but a gas leak (seals failed or there is a crack in the line) or carbon monoxide leak. Make sure the exhaust pipe isn't blocked with lint etc. It can catch on fire.

Ask maintenance. Get yourself a gas detector and carbon monoxide detector. Best to be safe than sorry.

It’s probably electric!

Old 11-26-2022, 06:04 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,325 times
It is electric and supplied by the complex- I put a sachet in there yesterday after Iran a load and I’ll check tomorrow to see if I still smell anything. I may put some essential oils on my dryer balls tomorrow when I do laundry and see if there’s still an odor.

Old 11-26-2022, 06:56 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,153,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
It is electric and supplied by the complex- I put a sachet in there yesterday after Iran a load and I’ll check tomorrow to see if I still smell anything. I may put some essential oils on my dryer balls tomorrow when I do laundry and see if there’s still an odor.
Essential oils? Keep in mind that most oils are flammable, and there is an electric coil that can turn red hot inside the dryer.

https://www.themiracleofessentialoil...ils-flammable/

Old 11-26-2022, 07:06 PM

5,951 posts, read 3,703,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
Hey all! Just moved into a new apartment and noticed the dryer smells like onions. It doesn’t transfer to the Landry thank goodness! Is there something I can do to get rid of the smell?
I don't know much about doing laundry, but I think I would try some scented dryer sheets. Personally, I can't stand those scented things, but you might like it.

Old 11-26-2022, 08:20 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,462,437 times
may be charcoal

Old 11-27-2022, 06:10 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,663,649 times
Is there lint stuck in the machine? There are usually cheap kits you can get to clean out around the lint trap. Another thing to keep in mind is that smells can come into the dryer from wherever it vents to. If there is an oniony smell coming out of someone else’s vent, it may end up permeating into your dryer.

Old 11-27-2022, 06:03 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,350,712 times
Smells can smell differently to different people. Do you mean the smell of fresh onions (tear inducing acrid) or rotting onion (similar to sewer gas)?

There are some insulations used on wires that give off a smell when overheated. Since the thing is electric and it is communal, my first thought is a lint clog in the ductwork or stack, causing a general overheating within it and some damage to wiring or circuitry. UL approved appliances can stand a certain amount of such nonsense safely.

A pleasant written notice to the property management company, noting the smell and that it is a concern to you, requesting a maintenance man check out the appliance and ductwork is prudent. It may be absolutely nothing, but if there is a fire you now have documentation and a way forward. If the maintenance guy does discover a clog and you have been polite and professional, you may have just earned points.

Old 11-28-2022, 05:01 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,552,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Smells can smell differently to different people. Do you mean the smell of fresh onions (tear inducing acrid) or rotting onion (similar to sewer gas)?

There are some insulations used on wires that give off a smell when overheated. Since the thing is electric and it is communal, my first thought is a lint clog in the ductwork or stack, causing a general overheating within it and some damage to wiring or circuitry. UL approved appliances can stand a certain amount of such nonsense safely.

A pleasant written notice to the property management company, noting the smell and that it is a concern to you, requesting a maintenance man check out the appliance and ductwork is prudent. It may be absolutely nothing, but if there is a fire you now have documentation and a way forward. If the maintenance guy does discover a clog and you have been polite and professional, you may have just earned points.

This. Don't do anything yourself. Report it to the building manager in writing. Follow up with a call, and another written complaint, if nothing is done. Keep copies of all communication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House