Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 07:43 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,902 times

Advertisements

What do people think about the deadbolt wifi based smart locks? I'm debating to get me a nice cool looking state of the art lock for the door but I know how easily these wifi locks can be hacked. Thinking to go in the middle and get a keypad, keyed deadbolt smart lock that doesn't use wifi. What are you all doing for front door lock systems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2022, 07:52 PM

61,733 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09T6...pa_mw_detail_6
Make sure your entry door is thick enough.

Old 12-02-2022, 09:26 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,902 times
Yes but thats like a Chinese model. Not sure how reliable that will be compared to other Home Depot products.

Old 12-02-2022, 09:59 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Talking Just because a lock is "smart" and has some degree of connectivity, doesn't mean thieves are smart enough to hack it.

There's a lot of convenience gained by choosing a powered deadbolt smartlock which knows when an authorized user walks up to the door and retracts the bolt, so you can just hit the lever with your forearm and not have to juggle your groceries, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
What do people think about the deadbolt wifi based smart locks? I'm debating to get me a nice cool looking state of the art lock for the door but I know how easily these wifi locks can be hacked. Thinking to go in the middle and get a keypad, keyed deadbolt smart lock that doesn't use wifi.
There's a wide range of options for "smart" locks, not all of them are built around giving your deadbolt direct Internet access over WiFi. Which is good, as a secondary downside to WiFi smart locks is primarily the extra power consumption of WiFi, meaning battery life is shorter than wireless smart locks using another protocol (Z-Wave, Zigbee, etc)

For example, the "Wyze Lock" package includes their "Wyze Lock Gateway"—a Zigbee hub which plugs into the wall, so the battery-operated lock doesn't need to waste energy on power-hungry WiFi.
Quote:
I know how easily these wifi locks can be hacked.
The average housebreaker is just going to kick in the door, not waste time and brain cells on "hacking" your smart lock.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 12-02-2022 at 10:08 PM..

Old 12-02-2022, 10:20 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Just hope your program isn’t stuck updating when you need to get inside.

Old 12-02-2022, 11:05 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Quote:
What do people think about the deadbolt wifi based smart locks? I'm debating to get me a nice cool looking state of the art lock for the door but I know how easily these wifi locks can be hacked. Thinking to go in the middle and get a keypad, keyed deadbolt smart lock that doesn't use wifi. What are you all doing for front door lock systems?
Yes, they can easily be hacked, as they are never updated with increased protection from hackers. Just exactly like garage door openers and thermostats. Also, since these devices are "dumb," it's very easy to plant malware or a virus. Then, when this virus is on your wifi, it can effect/corrupt any/all devices on your wifi. (Including your cell phones, lap-tops and desk-tops...)

Don't be fancy, just get a dead bolt that uses a key. Locks only keep out your friends, anyway...

Old 12-03-2022, 06:26 AM

61,733 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Just hope your program isn’t stuck updating when you need to get inside.
It has a key option too. Most (if not all) have key lock just in case.

Quote:
Yes but thats like a Chinese model. Not sure how reliable that will be compared to other Home Depot products.
It has great reviews. Where you think the locks at Home Depot come from?

Yes, maybe skilled hacker can hack the software, but most unskilled burglars can open regular locks just in seconds.
Guess who will be rather found at your doors?

But, yes - not only can many smart locks be hacked, but they also are proven to have other vulnerabilities like the ability to be removed with a flathead screwdriver.
Since smart locks often work with an existing deadbolt, this may mean they have the same level of security as traditional locks.

So, your entry door could be "hacked" either way. Wireless locks are just more convenient.

Last edited by elnina; 12-03-2022 at 07:53 AM..

Old 12-03-2022, 10:41 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Unhappy What is your actual threat model? The meth addict who wants your stuff isn't a master hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Yes, they can easily be hacked, as they are never updated with increased protection from hackers. Just exactly like garage door openers and thermostats.
Never updated?

Wyze lock (which is not WiFi) gets regular vendor-pushed updates via their hub and app.

Nest thermostat (which is WiFi, and which I will never use) gets updated 1-2 times a year. Thermostats and other devices from ecobee update themselves automatically, provided they are connected to Wi-Fi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Also, since these devices are "dumb," it's very easy to plant malware or a virus. Then, when this virus is on your wifi, it can effect/corrupt any/all devices on your wifi. (Including your cell phones, lap-tops and desk-tops...)
That's an odd take on malware and viruses. There's never been a malware or virus reported which is capable of running on or spreading via door locks. Not saying it can never be done, but it's not a particularly high-risk vector.

There is a legitimate risk in putting poorly-written "smart" devices on your WiFi network, as they can leak the WiFi password.

All the above is more good reason to go with modern "Zwave S2" devices; these Zwave devices aren't directly internet-connected, do not have an IP address or your WiFi password or malware exposure, rather they go through a hub which does have an IP address, but the hub (if you go with a reputable brand) gets regular updates from the vendor. And unlike a proprietary solution, if the vendor support ceases, you can swap in a different hub and keep using all your Z-wave devices -- your thermostat or lock never needs to know that the company that made it wants you to buy a new one instead of keep using the old one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
not only can many smart locks be hacked, but they also are proven to have other vulnerabilities like the ability to be removed with a flathead screwdriver.
Since smart locks often work with an existing deadbolt, this may mean they have the same level of security as traditional locks. So, your entry door could be "hacked" either way. Wireless locks are just more convenient.
You keep buying cheap c*** from China, you'll keep getting c*** security.

My Fortune-1000 corporate customers spend anywhere from $300-$1200 on door locks. Not total, but per door. Some are contractually prohibited from deploying any security sourced from China. Usually there's very little "smarts" in the lock, just some encryption, a card reader, and a lot of quality steel and brass and maybe a big magnet.

Speaking of ransomware/malware/viruses spreading on door locks, the only public article I can find even mentioning smart door locks in the same sentence was regarding a hotel where ransomeware infected the computer which issued their door key cards -- no locks were directly affected, they all worked fine for the duration, but Seehotel Jägerwirt couldn't generate new keys because they were locked out of their MS-Windows "key making" computer.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 12-03-2022 at 10:54 AM..

Old 12-03-2022, 07:13 PM

19,776 posts, read 22,673,762 times
I’ll take manual locks from Schlage thanks..

Old 12-03-2022, 07:24 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
I use the Schlage Encode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House