Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 05:33 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

I just had Truly Nolen over to investigate these little bugs I've seen occasionally in my house, and they identified them as German Cockroaches, which are much more difficult to eradicate. The regular roaches are much easier to eradicate.

They told me that these roaches are attracted to vacant houses (I have one next door) and they can travel from house to house.

He tells me they're much more prominent on the East Coast
He cautions me that if you bring boxes into your house, to take the items out of the box, then throw the box away.

At first I thought my ferret had something to do with it as I let him roam the entire house and I put papers down in every corner of the rooms so he can pee and poop. I noticed that there were these bugs that would gravitate to some of his fresh poop, so I thought it was the ferret poop doing it. Not so, says Truly Nolen. I've had 8 ferrets over 30 years, all roaming my house freely, pooping and peeing on the papers, but it was never an issue until now.

One of my friends just bought a vacant house in my community and it was infested with German roaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2022, 05:44 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Please. Read the sticky at the top of the forum, or at least the first few posts. German cockroaches ARE the common cockroach. I wrote the initial sticky post to stop people from buying into the BS of the pest control companies and solve the problem on their own - cheaply and permanently. Your tech was handing you a line. When I was in business in theatres, that would have been the last time he walked in the door.

Old 12-29-2022, 08:44 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
I believe there are many German cockroaches on Italian beaches in August.
At least, that is what the Italians claim.

Old 12-29-2022, 08:59 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Combat Roach Killing gel gets rid of roaches.

Old 12-29-2022, 09:36 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Combat Roach Killing gel gets rid of roaches.
I have to be careful with my Ferret running loose around the house.

Old 12-30-2022, 07:15 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Fully remove all food/water sources.

Get a 1-gallon pump-sprayer and do a bi-weekly treatment of trouble-spots and the home perimeters with a long-acting pesticide designed to kill filthroaches.

Get a bunch of roaches-tablets and stick them in nooks, crannies and voids........they last a LONG time and filthroaches gobble them up like hotcakes. Put them in the voids of switch-boxes and electrical-outlets.

Old 12-30-2022, 07:18 AM

130,331 posts, read 12,105,905 times
There is also a gel that sterilizes them. Put it behind appliances so the ferret can't reach it. Stopping the reproduction really helps. We moved into an apartment that had them, after we were evacuated, I was so glad to leave that place. The entire complex was infested.

Old 12-30-2022, 08:08 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

At first I thought my ferret had something to do with it as I let him roam the entire house and I put papers down in every corner of the rooms so he can pee and poop. I noticed that there were these bugs that would gravitate to some of his fresh poop, so I thought it was the ferret poop doing it. Not so, says Truly Nolen. I've had 8 ferrets over 30 years, all roaming my house freely, pooping and peeing on the papers, but it was never an issue until now.
That is DISGUSTING. No wonder you have roaches.

Old 12-30-2022, 08:41 AM

840 posts, read 773,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I have to be careful with my Ferret running loose around the house.

Of course you do! I have cats, & used to have dogs,

and neither of them have ever been bothered by this method of pest control:

Diatomaceous Earth: Non-toxic Pest Control for Home and Garden
https://learn.eartheasy.com/articles...ome-and-garden/

About the Author . . .

Jessica Dawe Jessica Dawe owns a garden center and has been practicing integrated pest management and permaculture since graduating in 1995 with a degree in horticulture.

Old 12-30-2022, 02:08 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I believe there are many German cockroaches on Italian beaches in August.
At least, that is what the Italians claim.
Got me confused too. I thought that this was a coy reference to Operation Barbarossa, Eastern Front, 1941... and was wondering why the thread hadn't been moved to the History forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House