Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 02:31 AM

776 posts, read 741,114 times

Advertisements

I live less than 300’ from gas service on my street. I called the gas company and they said they would service our address. They will provide the first 100’ and it’s $1.50/ft after that. I’m curious if the gas company would just extend the gas main in front of our house or just run a service branch to our home. We live in a subdivision.

Last edited by weaverra; 01-01-2023 at 02:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2023, 05:06 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,508,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
I’m curious if the gas company would just extend the gas main in front of our house ...
Ask WHEN they expect to do that (on their own dime).
In my case the house was 12 years old when my wide spot in the road area was annexed...
then the City ran water and sewer lines but it took another 10 years* for the Gas Company to do theirs.
Quote:
We live in a subdivision.
Your developer rogered every one of you.
You need to get X neighbors to ALSO request gas (ask the gas Co how many add'l meters they need).
*Their willingness to go gas will reflect the level of need to replace old HVAC equipment.

Old 01-01-2023, 06:03 AM

4,689 posts, read 3,126,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
In my case the house was 12 years old when my wide spot in the road area was annexed...
then the City ran water and sewer lines but it took another 10 years* for the Gas Company to do theirs.
You need to get X neighbors to ALSO request gas (ask the gas Co how many add'l meters they need).
*Their willingness to go gas will reflect the level of need to replace old HVAC equipment.
?? I lived in a development that was all electric by design, and specified in the CC&Rs. I'm not at all sure anyone could have brought gas in without legal help, but if they could, I'm not sure why they would expect the gas company to pay 100% for the installation.

And for what it's worth, I think $1.50/ft is quite reasonable!

Old 01-01-2023, 06:15 AM

9,346 posts, read 13,938,700 times
Many people in your situation just get a propane tank if it’s for minor uses like cooking and fireplace.

Old 01-01-2023, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I lived in a development that was all electric by design, and specified in the CC&Rs.
I feel bad for you then.

Before Heat Pumps ... they would have designed around using fuel oil (Hate 'em but still better than HP's).
If gas service was near enough to be a viable choice ... you were rogered too.
Quote:
I think $1.50/ft is quite reasonable!
I hadn't considered that end of the question.

Old 01-01-2023, 06:50 AM

4,689 posts, read 3,126,444 times
No reason to feel bad for me. Whether it was close enough or not, it wasn't an option. If I was stuck on wanting gas, I would have bought somewhere else. [shrug].

Old 01-01-2023, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
If I was stuck on wanting gas, I would have bought somewhere else.
Like me. I've done exactly that. Selected this house and one other over other choices because it was here.
(The detached garage, fenced yard and daylight basement ... all came into the equation too)

Forced WARM air heat? Best. Cooking? Best. Hot water? Even in a storm.
You can't beat natural gas... $$/btu alone is reason enough.

Last edited by MrRational; 01-01-2023 at 07:16 AM..

Old 01-01-2023, 09:12 AM

776 posts, read 741,114 times
Quote:
My phase of the neighborhood was put in about 12 years prior. The gas is actually part of the newer portion. My home was built in 92. The gas company said they would do it. They told me it would be about 2 months out. Our HVAC was replaced in 2017. I could just replace the furnace inside. Im willing to spend the money to switch over to gas appliances. The house is in constant use due to homeschooling 4 kids.

Old 01-01-2023, 11:29 AM

4,525 posts, read 12,343,461 times
Quote:
Forced WARM air heat? Best. Cooking? Best. Hot water? Even in a storm.
You can't beat natural gas... $$/btu alone is reason enough.
True that!

And that's why here in San Diego they have banned all new installations of natural gas, and in 12 years they are going to force existing users to rip their natural gas piping out and convert to all electric.

I can't afford the conversion, estimated at $35,000 per household, and at our high rates ($.54/kWh for generation and delivery combined), I can't afford to power all of these other uses, cooking, heat, clothes dryer, with electric.

People, don't come to California. It's bad and getting worse.

Old 01-01-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
I'm willing to spend the money to switch over to gas appliances.
The house is in constant use due to homeschooling 4 kids.
Is your basement (or crawl) unfinished?
Do you have easy access to the floor joists? The various points of use?
Go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House