Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2023, 05:42 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times

Advertisements

That's a great stacking job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2023, 10:56 PM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times
She’s a tough lot that gal of mine.

Old 03-08-2023, 05:43 PM

Getting close to finishing tear out.

Gotta finish tearing out the flooring in the old kitchen area. A full wall will go where the breakfast bar used to be- to that bend in the sublayment. So it will be a wide opening into the kitchen, but walled off.

Old 03-09-2023, 06:01 PM

New wall framed. Discovered a couple of wrinkles to our plan, but nothing that can't be overcome.

The old vinyl floor is out and SURPRISE! The particle board underlayment is not only screwed down, it's stapled AND glued to boot!

My GC is bringing in a younger and dumber back to tackle that one, lol. All my old cabinets and countertops (except the butcher block) were sold before demo. The guy buying them picked them all up and hauled them off.

My flooring guy came out today to take a look at the moisture content. Next week should be good to go. Super nice guy- he's been doing flooring for 30 years. Really well respected older gentleman. He's higher than a lot of others, but I don't mind paying more for a guy that's got the experience. He's done this lumber mill circle sawn stuff many, many times and he knows the right kind of finish to use to end up with a durable top.

Last edited by Threerun; 03-09-2023 at 06:16 PM..

Old 03-10-2023, 06:49 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Great thread - I love these!

Love your kitchen appliances too. Alas, the closest I could come was a mint green retro-LOOK mini-fridge/freezer for my bar area. (I guess the biggest hint that it's NOT really retro is that it has a separate freezer!)

I look forward to watching your progress! I remember your garage/workshop/potting shed thread -- that was very fun to follow (and I was very jealous of your wife for that potting shed, LOL!).

Old 03-10-2023, 07:38 AM

2,342 posts, read 613,926 times
Looking great!

Old 03-10-2023, 09:58 AM

The young man (29yo) showed up promptly at 8a.m. this morning to finish the tear out of the underlayment in the kitchen, laundry, front entryway and the powder room. 6'4" ish- wild red hair and a strong grip.

He knew me and I recognized him. I remembered him as a wiry kid from Boy Scouts! I met him several times at camporees and other local Scouting events from 10-13 years ago. He's an Eagle and has his own business. Great guy.

Over the 40+ years I've had in Scouting I managed to acquire a lot of old Scout knives and hatchets- things from the 50's-70's. I gift them to young men (and now women) who attain the rank of Eagle as I meet them along the way. This young man did reach Eagle, so I gave him his hatchet, well deserved. He was really blown away.

This made my Friday!

Old 03-10-2023, 02:06 PM

537 posts, read 445,178 times
Be careful with those fir floors. It's a very soft wood and not the best wood for flooring.

I have Pella windows in my lake house, and to replace those windows would cost more than it took to build my entire house. I've never had a minute's problem with the windows other than their being very easy to break into.

Pella changed their locking mechanism a few years ago and replacement parts are no longer available. I ended up locking all the windows down for security's sake.

I would purchase a more mid price window than a Pella if I had to do it again. They're making so much better windows today out of fiberglass. My windows are wood with aluminum cladding and of course double panes.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
Be careful with those fir floors. It's a very soft wood and not the best wood for flooring.

I have Pella windows in my lake house, and to replace those windows would cost more than it took to build my entire house. I've never had a minute's problem with the windows other than their being very easy to break into.

Pella changed their locking mechanism a few years ago and replacement parts are no longer available. I ended up locking all the windows down for security's sake.

I would purchase a more mid price window than a Pella if I had to do it again. They're making so much better windows today out of fiberglass. My windows are wood with aluminum cladding and of course double panes.
I don't intend to be careful with my fir wood floors. Our home is not a 'fancy' place. Circle sawn fir from our local mill is used extensively around here, and due to their texture- mars, scratches or imperfections really don't shout out. Our floor will show all the imperfections of the wood- knots, mineral streaks- you name it. That's the beauty of the floor. Many commercial tap rooms, restaurants, bars have this flooring. Even multi-million dollar homes. I guess its a western thing, most people elsewhere wouldn't understand.

My Pella rep is a good friend, and I've had Pella windows before. They're good windows and doors and I get a discount. Plus they are eligible for the new tax credit that rolled out. We're doing windows and doors in stages over the course of a number of years to take advantage of the maximum annual tax credit of $1,200.

And we don't really have a security issue where I live. 4 German shorthair pointers and a 12ga is plenty secure.

Old 03-10-2023, 03:29 PM

The day is done.

Re-routed wiring

What it'll look like from the living room

This is the texture of circle sawn floors. It's all Montana fir, milled 20 minutes from our house.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House