Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 02:15 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
I've decided to look elsewhere for my windows. The company doesn't have a single review anywhere and I just don't feel comfortable trusting someone like that with that amount of cash.
Call a couple of the local lumber/hardware stores. Not the big box stores, but the real deal. They will tell you real quickly if he is known, has a good reputation, pays his bills on time, and is generally an all-around reliable contractor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 02:17 PM

5,991 posts, read 3,731,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Know how I know you've never run a small service business?
BINGO! The small business person doesn't have the time nor the resources to be chasing down deadbeats all the time to get paid for his work. The small business person is not a bank. If a person wants to buy the windows from a window company and hire a contractor to install them, there's nothing at all wrong with that, but you can expect to pay "up front" for custom windows regardless of whether you buy them from the vendor or buy them through a contractor.

Old 01-23-2023, 02:22 PM

5,991 posts, read 3,731,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
I've decided to look elsewhere for my windows. The company doesn't have a single review anywhere and I just don't feel comfortable trusting someone like that with that amount of cash.
Wait til you decide to have an all new kitchen installed or a new roof put on your house if you think that $3,000 is a lot of money to put up.

Old 01-23-2023, 02:25 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Wait til you decide to have an all new kitchen installed or a new roof put on your house if you think that $3,000 is a lot of money to put up.

But the op isn't having those things done. He's having a window put in. They aren't comparable really.

Old 01-23-2023, 02:55 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Call a couple of the local lumber/hardware stores. Not the big box stores, but the real deal. They will tell you real quickly if he is known, has a good reputation, pays his bills on time, and is generally an all-around reliable contractor.
Nah...........they will say "never heard of him"

Nobody goes to those old fashion hardware stores anymore in the trades, they are too expensive!

Old 01-23-2023, 03:04 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
BINGO! The small business person doesn't have the time nor the resources to be chasing down deadbeats all the time to get paid for his work. The small business person is not a bank. If a person wants to buy the windows from a window company and hire a contractor to install them, there's nothing at all wrong with that, but you can expect to pay "up front" for custom windows regardless of whether you buy them from the vendor or buy them through a contractor.
The homeowner doesn't have the time or resources to be chasing down deadbeat contractors all the time to get them to correctly do the work they were paid to do. Too bad the homeowner can't simply file a lien against the contractor's business the way a contractor can file a lien against the home.

Old 01-23-2023, 04:48 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,866,838 times
How about you have him order the windows, then you pay the window place Even if he flakes out you have the windows and can hire someone else to install.

My husband used to order what he needed, then hire people to do the work if it was something he couldn't handle

Old 01-23-2023, 07:16 PM

15,437 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I would have run away from that contractor. You got lucky because that is how most scammers work so nothing is in their name.

Also in my state you would have had to give the contractor your receipt(or copy) because even though you paid for the product the contractor still has to pay excise tax on ALL the materials used.
We were protected if the contractor didn't complete the work. We had the windows, and the window supplier was paid, so no chance of a lien for non-payment. Us paying for the windows was our idea to begin with. How is it a scam when the windows were delivered to our house, and sold to us?

What excise tax on all materials used? We paid the sales taxes on the windows, and our contract specifically stated the contractor would install the customer provided windows. We didn't pay sales tax on the labor for the installation, as that's not required in Texas.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I have no idea about the mechanic installing a transmission. I can guarantee that a real licensed tax paying contractor would have to pay excise tax on the door you bought that they installed.

So a lot of times when unknowing customers say they are having a contractor ridiculously marking up prices they are talking out their rear end. They don't understand/know the contractor IS paying more through extra taxes they have to pay.

As a contractor I would charge people more if they bought the materials because it made it a PIA for me. Especially if something was wrong with anything they bought.
What state would force a contractor to pay a tax on customer provided items? That's patently ridiculous and beyond belief. You are saying that if I tear my parents old house down, and take the front door to my house and have someone install it, they have to pay a tax on the free door?

Old 01-23-2023, 07:25 PM

Quote:
When we had our roof replaced and new Hardi siding installed, we didn't pay a dime up front. We paid all 90% on job completion, and the other 10% a month later.

When we had our kitchen renovated, we paid the first installment when the demo work was done, another one when the materials were delivered, and other payments as work progressed. We also bought all of the appliances ourselves and the contractor installed them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House