Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 10:16 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,245,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
I found a company that can design two windows for my house through facebook marketplace. He says that since he has to have the windows custom made, he needs 60% of the down payment before they can get started and the other 40% after the windows are completed. The total charge for both windows are $3,000. I assume that's fair, but he says they do not accept credit or debit cards. He says they only take bank transfer, check in the mail or deposit to one of their bank of america accounts.

He emailed me a design sheet of how the windows will look with all of the details and measurements and he wants me to sign and date the bottom of it for records.

Is this ok to send them the money using these payment methods? I looked up his company on google maps and it's showing an actual company on the street. He has a website. His phone number is attached to the website and business and I've talked to him over the phone.

What should I do in this case? His business is only about 1 hour from my house.
Normally I'd say no, but you never know if someone might have prior experience and is just starting out with their own company. Ask for references and decide from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 08:38 AM

6,414 posts, read 4,908,175 times
Its not worth the aggravation, IMHO. They may or may not be any good, plus a window can have issues down the road with a leaky seal.

Old 01-24-2023, 10:57 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
Yes, they are the radius top casement windows. He went into full detail about how they work when talking over the phone. Their supposed to be "tilt and turn" windows.

His website is professional and the business is showing on google maps, but I don't understand why he lists every payment method but accept a credit/debit card.
Probably because he had people go and dispute the charge after he did the work. Lots of small businesses do not take credit cards for this reason. Fraud goes both ways. I would check to see if he is licensed and ask for references and find out if any complaints have been issued against him.

Old 01-24-2023, 03:05 PM

31,906 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
I found a company that can design two windows for my house through facebook marketplace. He says that since he has to have the windows custom made, he needs 60% of the down payment before they can get started and the other 40% after the windows are completed. The total charge for both windows are $3,000. I assume that's fair, but he says they do not accept credit or debit cards. He says they only take bank transfer, check in the mail or deposit to one of their bank of america accounts.

He emailed me a design sheet of how the windows will look with all of the details and measurements and he wants me to sign and date the bottom of it for records.

Is this ok to send them the money using these payment methods? I looked up his company on google maps and it's showing an actual company on the street. He has a website. His phone number is attached to the website and business and I've talked to him over the phone.

Am late to party but have two words of advice; "he** no"!

You pay this guy with cash and that will be end of things. If stuff does down he'll be long gone with your money. All you can do at that point is chase them down through the courts which will cost you even more money.

Stay away!

Old 01-24-2023, 04:27 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:

Oh hell no. Surely you know better than this.

Old 01-24-2023, 05:06 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,680,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
What state would force a contractor to pay a tax on customer provided items? That's patently ridiculous and beyond belief. You are saying that if I tear my parents old house down, and take the front door to my house and have someone install it, they have to pay a tax on the free door?
LOL, seriously why would they have to pay tax on a FREE door? I owned a construction company for more than 20 years in South Dakota. I had to pay tax on all customer supplied materials. So if you paid for it i had to still pay tax on it just like if I supplied it.

Old 01-24-2023, 06:14 PM

31,906 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Yes, they are the radius top casement windows. He went into full detail about how they work when talking over the phone. Their supposed to be "tilt and turn" windows.

His website is professional and the business is showing on google maps, but I don't understand why he lists every payment method but accept a credit/debit card.
Seriously, not to be unkind but you sound like a naïf.

This guy lists every *CASH* method of payment because once he's got your money there's nothing you can do if work is shoddy or doesn't happen at all. Again your only option at that point is to begin legal proceedings which not only will cost you more money. If successful (and that's not a given) you still have to find this eegit and or at least any assets to get any court ordered judgement satisfied. Good luck with that.

With a CC at least there is a chance of having charges reversed by claiming fraud or similar. Your CC account would be credited with refund leaving contractor and or his bank to deal with that mess.

Oral contracts aren't worth the paper they're printed upon.

Written contracts are better but when payments are made in cash there is no recourse other than courts. Well you could contact "Tony Soprano" to get your money back or force performance but that's illegal.

Old 01-24-2023, 06:14 PM

15,426 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
LOL, seriously why would they have to pay tax on a FREE door? I owned a construction company for more than 20 years in South Dakota. I had to pay tax on all customer supplied materials. So if you paid for it i had to still pay tax on it just like if I supplied it.
That is utterly ridiculous and a huge overreach by the state.

Old 01-24-2023, 06:55 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
That's messed up. To you, any part supplied by the customer is FREE to you. It's really none of your business what they paid.

Old 01-25-2023, 06:33 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,680,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That's messed up. To you, any part supplied by the customer is FREE to you. It's really none of your business what they paid.
LOL, seriously you and every other poster in the US pay many taxes you don't know about. All these extra taxes cause a lot of confusion and beyond silly answers in this section of the forum. Many who have no idea what they are talking about say the contractor is screwing me because their friend knows a guy who will do a repair way cheaper. That is because they are not paying all the taxes a real contractor has to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House