Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 07:19 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post
Well I'm 5'11 and 175 pounds and have absolutely no issues standing/walking on hard surfaces in my home or even after a long day of touring a city on foot (i.e. on concrete sidewalks).

The point being made was that hard surface floors in the home, per se, don't automatically mean aches/pains, but perhaps some people have physiological issues that may be aggravated by such.
That's great.

Actually, fatigue/ache is common hence the invention of "anti-fatigue mats".

And my point was that it may not be "other physiological issues" (including weight) that play a part in why hard floors cause aches. I am not overweight and I don't have any such ailments.

I also never said that I have issues walking on hard floors. i don't think anyone mentioned having issues walking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 06:56 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,203,545 times
I regret getting rid of carpet! I just can't afford to get rid of perfectly good hard floor that isn't even damaged.

Old 02-09-2023, 05:13 PM

253 posts, read 122,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
That's great.

I also never said that I have issues walking on hard floors. i don't think anyone mentioned having issues walking.

Lighten up! The original comment to which I responded included this: "I have seen people crippled up by walking on hardwood and ceramic for years."

Old 02-09-2023, 06:00 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Well, I don't mind wood floors in Alaska, or even marble floors in Greece, but my wife prefers rugs, and my dog does too. A happy wife and happy dog make me happy. They outnumber me, too

Old 02-10-2023, 10:09 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I think that the majority of people who are adamant about not having carpet have "rug rats" or pets, or both. For a couple who are conscientious about not tracking mud, dirt, etc into their house, carpeting is very suitable for the reasons that the OP mentioned.

We don’t have “rug rats” or pets, but I still hate carpet. We don’t have it anywhere & new homes don’t install it. I don’t even think cheaper homes do or maybe they do because of cheap cost only. Dust mites don’t come up with vacuuming & it’s just disgusting to think about what collects IMO.

Quote:
Some people may claim that carpeting is bad for their allergies, but if so, it would seem that upholstered furniture, bedding, drapes, and clothes hanging in the closets would also be bad for their allergies.

But it’s true carpet is bad for allergies. Bedding is so much easier to keep clean AND with furniture, they can use microfiber, leather or a performance fabric if they have allergies.

Quote:
Heck, pollen and other allergens can and do exist in the air and on hard surfaces too, so simply getting rid of carpeting doesn't solve the allergies problem... unless it was a mental problem to begin with.

It doesn’t eliminate it but it reduces it A LOT. Dust mites & allergens aren’t mental problems.^^

Old 02-10-2023, 10:55 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Lighten up! The original comment to which I responded included this: "I have seen people crippled up by walking on hardwood and ceramic for years."
Thanks, but I was feeling just dandy when I'd typed that.

Old 02-10-2023, 11:15 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
The original comment to which I responded included this: "I have seen people crippled up by walking on hardwood and ceramic for years."

If they have ortho problems or they are older, they should be wearing more supportive shoes for around the house. It’s got more to do with being barefoot & age than hardwood OR carpet.

Old 02-11-2023, 03:22 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
We have 3 cats and they looove our bedroom carpets. It has become a giant scratching pad. lol I will eventually replace it with LVP and just put in an area rug.

Old 02-11-2023, 03:29 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Went from wall to wall carpeting (a light berber) to the laminate. So much nicer. Looks better, easier to keep clean (and yes, we have pets. In fact, I foster medical needs Scottie dogs, most who are too old to find forever homes) and accidents are an occurrence. They ARE part of the family and as pack animals NEED their family, Shuttering them off in some other room at night is cruel IMO.

from

to:

This was before we put the bookcases and Pax wardrobes in. The subfloor is insulated, so the laminate stays warm. Don't even need area rugs to have warm spots to walk on.
That's laminate? Its very pretty. Also, is that a dog in the background?

Old 02-11-2023, 05:30 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,066,501 times
We have three Yorkies, our downstairs is all wood look hand scraped tile. It’s easy to care for and clean. I have had hard woods, and it showed dust , I was constantly cleaning. After our house burned, we decided to make things easier, with all tile the robot vacs and mops clean daily.

We have carpet on the stairs only. Upstairs its a laminate with a cushioning underlayment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House