Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 12:02 PM

17,348 posts, read 16,480,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Agreed (other than the "rug rat" LOL - my kid was never much of a mess). I'd never have a dog (or a cat - anymore) in my house - I just cannot abide the dirt and hair. And it just kills me to see the nice rugs in my BF's house, all covered with dog hair. You can't even vacuum that sh** up. And the dog drool from the water bowl...scratches from nails on the floor. Nope nope nope. But if you must, yeah carpet is NOT the way to go. Cheap vinyl flooring would be best.
We have 2 dogs now, we used to have 3, and our hardwoods are holding up nicely. The biggest problem is, that our wood floors show every piece of fur along with any dirt that gets on them. We are constantly vacuuming because dirt/fur/dust is so visible. The bedroom carpet is a light multi tone beige and nothing shows up on it - that isn't necessarily a good thing, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2023, 12:27 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
I wouldn't replace new, good quality carpet with hard flooring. However, a lot of the "new carpet" is often the 50 cents per sq ft variety that will wear out after several years.

I prefer carpeted bedrooms and stairs.

Old 01-21-2023, 12:29 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
We have 2 dogs now, we used to have 3, and our hardwoods are holding up nicely. The biggest problem is, that our wood floors show every piece of fur along with any dirt that gets on them. We are constantly vacuuming because dirt/fur/dust is so visible. The bedroom carpet is a light multi tone beige and nothing shows up on it - that isn't necessarily a good thing, lol.
Lucky you because my dog has scratched the heck out of the wood floor, and it is a hard wood too.

I'd do wood look tile if I were to start over.

Old 01-21-2023, 01:00 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
I wouldn't replace new carpeting, but would wait until it needed to be replaced.

Carpet is fine in my house because I take care of it. it doesn't work well in my rentals because tenants do not take good care of it.

For my own house, I prefer hardwood floors and area rugs. I've got some nice Persian carpets, which I take good care of and which can be removed and cleaned when they need it.

Mid color wood floors work the best. Really light woods and really dark woods tend to show footprints. Roomba takes care of my wood floors. Daily vacuuming keeps them nice and clean and looking good with very little effort on my part. But that is also true of the carpeted areas of my house..

Old 01-21-2023, 01:06 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
"Who else thinks carpeting is better than hard flooring?"

No one who has pets.

Old 01-21-2023, 01:12 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
Pretty nice if you are willing to properly maintain them...........but yeah, many times that does not happen.

Old 01-21-2023, 04:29 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,936,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Love my hardwoods. I have area rugs which are easy on the feet.

I do have some installed carpeting in the bedrooms and it is going to need to be steam cleaned and pulled soon, if not outright replaced. If I had it to do over again, the bedrooms would have been hardwoods, too.
The fact that people with hardwood use area rugs proves thepoint that carpeting is better. They are basically installing carpeting on top of hardwood with rugs. You wouldn’t need a rug if hardwood was better.

Old 01-21-2023, 04:32 PM

23,249 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Don't see why the carpet vs hard flooring topic needs to be rehashed again. Try a forum search. You'll find more than enough debate about it so you can read to your heart's content. It's your house. Install whatever you want.

Old 01-21-2023, 04:33 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
We have carpet in most of the house, and for an area with seasons, I like it when it's cold. I have a dog, so I shampoo them every spring.

When we lived in a tropical climate, we had all hard floors, and I liked that, though it was hard on my feet. I had "house" flip flops that I wore.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-21-2023, 04:58 PM

17,348 posts, read 16,480,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Lucky you because my dog has scratched the heck out of the wood floor, and it is a hard wood too.

I'd do wood look tile if I were to start over.
I was really nervous about dog nails doing a number on our flooring but we have a hardwood composite that is apparently scratch resistant. If our hardwoods were scratched up then I would be looking at those wood look tiles, too, and likely extending them into the, now, carpeted bedrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House