Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 07:13 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times

Advertisements

It costs several thousand (last time I looked) to cut down a tree; I doubt if anyone would do it just to be "nice."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 07:21 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Good luck with that The guy behind me let 2 trees grow between his shed and fence. Except they grew into the fence and are now pushing it over. I keep patching the fence (which is not mine). I've spent hundreds over the years paying people to trim the overhanging branches when it got too tall for me to reach. I've tried to talk to the neighbor but he will never get back to me. I actually had someone willing to remove the tree a few years ago so I could put up a new fence but I couldn't get the guy to talk to me to get his ok.

I saw him glaring at them last summer and have my fingers crossed that he takes it down.

I know someone else going through the same thing, but his neighbor died and he's taking her boundary trees down before her house is sold. He had a lot of damage to his property because of them.

Old 01-23-2023, 11:29 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
My parents neighbors had huge elms trees. One dropped a branch that was about 1 1/2 feet thick onto a driveway. If it had landed on a car it would have crushed it. The limb fell during a time that there was no high winds, the tree seemed to be otherwise healthy. Some of the branches extended over their neighbors home. The neighbor contacted their insurance company because they were worried if a branch that big fell on home it would have crushed half the house and possibly kill them. The insurance company suggested they have a letter written to the neighbor who owned tree requesting that they be removed because they were creating a hazard, because of the large branch that had fallen as proof. That made the owner in notice that they were a hazard. The owner of trees contacted their insurance to find out if they would help with the cost of removal, nope. It was expensive, probably about*6,000 to remove the trees but the liability would have been worse.

Old 01-24-2023, 04:58 AM

They "had a letter written"... Do you mean a "lawyer letter"?

Old 01-24-2023, 07:11 AM

246 posts, read 120,355 times
This is your next door neighbor, why don't you simply walk over and let him know his tree is a nuisance to you?

Let them know you are not a complainer (if you aren't) , and invite them over for a drink and a look at what the tree has already dropped on your property.

The worst they can say is no. Then you can start daydreaming about buying a chainsaw and stuff. LOL

Old 01-24-2023, 08:53 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
They "had a letter written"... Do you mean a "lawyer letter"?
If you’re concerned send a certified letter explaining your concerns. That costs in the $4.00 range. Save the proof that you sent it later on.

I have a dozen old oaks on my lot. IME they lose a lot of twigs and moderate size branches when we have storms and whatnot. Signs of a fungal infection like the trunk rotting out and being hollow, the tree shedding bark on the trunk, significant dead branches on the tree, are potentially more serious.

This link has sample verbiage. Remember that this advice is free and worth what you paid for it.
https://www.neighborcutmytree.com/sa...or-about-tree/

Old 01-24-2023, 08:55 AM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
It overhangs my yard and part of my house and constantly drops small twigs and sometimes branches, and now I find a good-sized limb. What is protocol and how do I proceed? I've accumulated quite a stack of wood that I'm not sure what to do with and am tempted to just toss it all over the fence and back into his yard. There's also the ever-present threat of something falling on me or my house. I realize I have the legal right to trim anything infringing on my property, but as the tree abuts the fence/property line, that would be a major expense for me that I'm not willing to pay.
Instead of tossing the wood over (which could really escalate past what you'd wish) maybe find out where you know who from the other thread lives and have her neighbor come pick it up and use it for firewood.

As has been already mentioned a couple of times, if the tree is healthy (and if you read my previous links there are many trees which have the habit of dropping limbs for a variety of reasons) you really can't do much to force your neighbor to cut it just because you don't like it. My investor neighbor filed a complaint against me many years ago for having "too many" trees (none of which endangered her property. She shut up when one of her VRBO guests commented in a review how beautiful the cherry trees were when they stayed there (the trees were in bloom).

Don't do something stupid like going out at night and hitting the roots with gasoline (I'm somewhat surprised no one has suggested that yet) or otherwise trying to kill it.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:48 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Do healthy trees constantly drop twigs, branches, and limbs? But it does leaf out in the spring and summer, so who knows? I'm not going to pay an arborist, however, for his professional opinion. I'm just going to continue to try to move... I'm not even sure who owns it without consulting the PVA; it sold and is now yet another AirBnB.
I have to pick up branches before I can mow my grass. It is a never ending battle. Luckily, I have a fireplace and a fire pit in the woods behind my house so I don't have a problem getting rid of them.

Old 01-24-2023, 02:01 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Coming into your yard, bite the bullet and hack them down.

In theory, the party who has the trees on their property should take responsibility
and do the proper maintenance.............but, haha, we know how that goes!

Old 01-24-2023, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I have to pick up branches before I can mow my grass. It is a never ending battle. Luckily, I have a fireplace and a fire pit in the woods behind my house so I don't have a problem getting rid of them.
I've actually considered buying a fire pit just for this purpose, but I don't really have a sheltered area in which to thoroughly dry out the wood.

And don't think I don't like neighborhood trees; I'm their biggest champion! But this is a nuisance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House