Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 08:29 AM

17,387 posts, read 16,524,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, my Mother constantly pushed a lot of stuff off on me. "I don't care what you do with it, just take it!".....and I am not laughing. If one is a parent and they are not willing to throw it away themselves, please don't push it off on the children because then there is the element of love involved, complicating what they do with it.......assuming they have the time to properly process it, which is another matter.

Like I said first in this thread, are you the kind who cares about the landfills we make on this planet or not?
The furniture in my son's room doesn't owe anyone anything. His bed is literally part of a bunk bed from Walmart - he's got one of the beds and his brother has the other. I bought it for cheap when they were little and those beds have lasted them into and through their college years. We recently replaced the mattresses and they are comfy. It's what they sleep on when they come home.

When the time comes we'll either sell those beds for cheap, either separately or as bunk beds - I think we still have the hardware to convert them. Or we'll toss them. I feel no need to hang onto those beds or haul them around with us when we move nor will I insist that my kids take those beds. My son bought his own King size bed for his new place. I would imagine that in the coming years, my kids will be getting engaged/married and will need a queen sized bed to sleep in when they come home for visits.

We will definitely not be pushing stuff off onto our kids. I will not be the mom who shows up at her kids' houses with a car loaded full of excess crap - "Here! Maybe you can use this!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2023, 09:24 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
My plan for today is to bite off a few more chunks in my closet, like I did yesterday. Hubby’s slacks, and my sweaters, I think. Here in the south, we hardly use either long pants or sweaters, so out they go.

Old 02-07-2023, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My plan for today is to bite off a few more chunks in my closet, like I did yesterday. Hubby’s slacks, and my sweaters, I think. Here in the south, we hardly use either long pants or sweaters, so out they go.
That sounds like a very good plan. Today I am going to start tackling the family room where the kids still have toys. Next week I'm going to work on my other son's room but he's coming home for a visit this weekend so if there is anything he doesn't want me to see...he's going to need to get it outta there, lol.

He'll be coming home for the summer soon and I need to make space for all of his college stuff. Gah.

Old 02-07-2023, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
That sounds like a very good plan. Today I am going to start tackling the family room where the kids still have toys. Next week I'm going to work on my other son's room but he's coming home for a visit this weekend so if there is anything he doesn't want me to see...he's going to need to get it outta there, lol.

He'll be coming home for the summer soon and I need to make space for all of his college stuff. Gah.
It’s so much easier after the kids are gone once and for all. I kept my final kid’s room as he left it, but without any clutter. If at least some rooms are not being used, it’s calming to me to see them always tidy.

Old 02-07-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:
It’s so much easier after the kids are gone once and for all. I kept my final kid’s room as he left it, but without any clutter. If at least some rooms are not being used, it’s calming to me to see them always tidy.
I will admit that it's nice to have their stuff in their rooms even if they are off elsewhere on their new adventures now. It's doubly nice when their rooms are neat and clean.

Old 02-07-2023, 12:30 PM

Today I tackled hubby’s slacks, shirts and shorts. All the odd hangers are gone.
I think I’ll stop for the day, so I don’t get overwhelmed.

Old 02-07-2023, 12:55 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
I find it overwhelming but I do it at a snails pace.

Old 02-07-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Today I tackled hubby’s slacks, shirts and shorts. All the odd hangers are gone.
I think I’ll stop for the day, so I don’t get overwhelmed.
You have to stop and take a break because after awhile it does kind of wear you down.

Tomorrow I'm getting the oil changed on my car and I'm planning to make a stop by Goodwill on the way.

Old 02-07-2023, 01:34 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Depends on what part of the south you are in. Further, long pants are not just about temperature but protecting one's legs from things that brush, too! But, to each their own.

But, the other day......I had come across an old pair of warm up pants, the crotch ripped, and was thinking of regulating it to the conceptual "the old boyfriend's closet" (sort of like how Jamie Lee dressed Dan Aykroyd in "Trading Places").....but they came back to active use when I used them against morning chill in the past few days. Granted, old jeans could have done, leg warmers could have done, but once again, they had a use so they 'done.

Papers and cardboard out, sure. It is things that have a material use, especially if they are to be used for something else I would have to buy or move from elsewhere (ie, I keep old jeans in the cars incase dirty work has to be done out on the road), that it can get complicated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
You have to stop and take a break because after awhile it does kind of wear you down.

Tomorrow I'm getting the oil changed on my car and I'm planning to make a stop by Goodwill on the way.
Good thought but if clothes, might I also suggest the Women's Shelter?

Old 02-07-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Good thought but if clothes, might I also suggest the Women's Shelter?
This round I'm taking a bunch of teen/young men's clothes that my sons have outgrown and Goodwill is on the way.

But I'll keep the women's shelter in mind for the next time. I'll have some clothes to donate there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House