Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 05:20 AM

4,851 posts, read 3,276,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The above are fine, and may work. After that, try warming the glass and applying silicone spray to the paper residue, let rest for a couple minutes to soak in, then using a knife or other implement to scrape off the rest. I've used this technique on items that resisted other methods. However, at some point you may want to ask "Is this worth the effort?"
Goo Gone will absolutely work. Acetone will absolutely work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2023, 05:26 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
So, I have tried the aforementioned soaking method, and that hasn't worked.

Will try the other sugs here, save for the 'Elbow grease and finger nails' sugg.

Thank you all.

Cheers.

Ammonia based glass cleaner will take it off, without much elbow grease at all. And leaves no mess behind.

Old 02-10-2023, 06:46 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
WD40 for anything stuck on. It's the best, and most everyone has it.

Old 02-10-2023, 07:22 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Saturate it with some type of oil, it will get soft and come off easy in a few hours.

Old 02-10-2023, 12:52 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
In fact, just yesterday I pulled some duct tape off a mosaic tiled window seat where I had taped over an electrical outlet I wanted to make sure was kept dry while I kept some plants there last summer. It was awful, all the strengthening strings inside the tape were embedded in the goo, which was stuck for life on those tiles and had been there for 4 months.

Sprayed with WD40 and could just watch as it dissolved the tape and glue and I was able to move my finger around on the tiles and within 30 seconds everything came right off.

Old 02-10-2023, 02:44 PM

8 posts, read 3,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
So, I have tried the aforementioned soaking method, and that hasn't worked.

Will try the other sugs here, save for the 'Elbow grease and finger nails' sugg.

Thank you all.

Cheers.
I can’t believe no one’s mentioned peanut butter yet. Works every time. Plus, most people have it in their pantry already! Smear some peanut butter on the residue, let it sit for a bit (doesn’t take long), then wipe away with paper towel. The glue residue will wipe away easy-peasy. Then wash the dish like normal to remove the peanut butter smell.

It’s similar to the oil mentioned by a previous poster, as that’s what’s essentially working to remove the residue, except less messy and easier to wash off after wiping most away. Regular oil just smears and turns the dish into a slippery little sucker that’s hard to hold onto when it’s time to wash the oil off! Anyway, this trick has been around for a long time and is my go-to when the residue is sticking enough that rubbing alcohol won’t do.

Old 02-10-2023, 06:21 PM

37,615 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterjellytoast View Post
I can’t believe no one’s mentioned peanut butter yet. Works every time. Plus, most people have it in their pantry already! Smear some peanut butter on the residue, let it sit for a bit (doesn’t take long), then wipe away with paper towel. The glue residue will wipe away easy-peasy. Then wash the dish like normal to remove the peanut butter smell.

It’s similar to the oil mentioned by a previous poster, as that’s what’s essentially working to remove the residue, except less messy and easier to wash off after wiping most away. Regular oil just smears and turns the dish into a slippery little sucker that’s hard to hold onto when it’s time to wash the oil off! Anyway, this trick has been around for a long time and is my go-to when the residue is sticking enough that rubbing alcohol won’t do.
What a waste of peanut butter. And absurdly messy. No thanks. Goo Gone is the best.

Old 02-13-2023, 09:26 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover.

Old 02-16-2023, 11:32 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
GOO GONE. How does anyone not have this in their home? I've had the same container for probably 20 years, and it still does the job.

---------------------------------
yeah, seriously, I agree.

It also comes in a spray bottle now, I had just bought it for the office, since people stick labels and sticketrs on the files cabinets and it looks terrible so, it sprays right on where I need it to go.

"Goo Gone" is the greatest invention ever, and yes, I too have had the same bottle in my home for what seems like an eternity, and any time I ever needed it, it worked fine.

Old 02-16-2023, 11:41 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,407 times
Any type of solvent like paint thinner or Varsol will work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House