Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 12:42 PM

5,866 posts, read 11,922,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If the coil top burners are going off and on, the heat in the smooth top is also going to go off and on because they basically both have the same burners. Just that one has grates over the coil and the other has a sheet of glass.

I've had two different smooth top ranges, one of them a very expensive brand, and I deeply hated both of them. I don't like cooking on them and I hate trying to keep them clean. Every tiny drop of anything spilled or splashed and it is immediately welded on to the glass top. At least with the coil top, the drip pans can go into the dishwasher and drips that land on the enamel top will be easy to wipe off.

I've never cooked on induction so have no opinion. Depending upon where you live, the gas range is maybe about to be outlawed.
The nice thing about glass top induction is that since the surface never gets hot, food doesn’t burn on it. The response time is similar to gas in that when we turn it down or off it stops cooking immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 01:50 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Lengthy thread about induction vs gas ranges. If you search CD, you can find more.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/gree...as-stoves.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
The nice thing about glass top induction is that since the surface never gets hot, food doesn’t burn on it. The response time is similar to gas in that when we turn it down or off it stops cooking immediately.
And yes, you can burn food on an induction cooktop. Heat is produced in the pans, and they can get pretty dang hot even if the stove surface stays cooler compared to a gas cooktop.

Old 02-11-2023, 03:38 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
I need to buy a new stove. I currently have an electric coil one. I am trying to choose between another coil or switching to a smooth top.

I wouldn't mind purchasing another set for the stove however I wonder how you can get help figuring out which ones to buy. I don't think calling places like GE directly will work because they could probably get in trouble for advising someone to replace something now required by law.

Anyone have one of the newer electric coil stoves that could tell me your experiences with cooking on them?

I've had both coil and smooth top. I like coil (Calrod) because the pots are removeable and easily replaced. The smooth tops vary quite a bit in ability to regulate heat. Calrods have been engineered for decades to do so. Smooth tops are OK but choose judiciously. There are different types.

Old 02-11-2023, 03:59 PM

537 posts, read 444,771 times
We have a Kitchenaid 30" electric smooth stove top ($1100) and double convection ovens ($4000). The stove top was replaced last year and we dread ever having to replace those ultra expensive ovens.

What I really like is the GE smooth top electric stove with the full size convection oven and a smaller electric oven on top. We had one at our last house, and loved it.

If such a stove is available with induction cook top, I'd jump on it.

Old 02-11-2023, 05:16 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Induction

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
What I really like is ...[a range] with the full size convection oven and a smaller electric oven on top.
If such a [range] is available with induction cook top, I'd jump on it.
You mean similar to?

https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/aj...n/CHS950P.html

https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/aj...63T8951SS.html

Old 02-11-2023, 05:30 PM

5,866 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Lengthy thread about induction vs gas ranges. If you search CD, you can find more.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/gree...as-stoves.html

And yes, you can burn food on an induction cooktop. Heat is produced in the pans, and they can get pretty dang hot even if the stove surface stays cooler compared to a gas cooktop.
Oh yes, you can definitely burn food - my point was that compared to a regular electric smooth top, the stovetop itself doesn't get burned crud on it like a regular electric stovetop.

Old 02-12-2023, 06:24 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
If you get a glass top the main thing to do is clean it. Don't have something burn on the burner area (and even a pan with a dirty bottom or something on it can char. Boil overs also happen) and then use it without cleaning it.

I use Wieman's cream cleaner but it also comes in a spray and there are other brands.

Even if there's nothing charred on the burner clean it with a sponge and hot water after using it and dry it off.

Old 02-12-2023, 06:43 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,359,230 times
As chief cook and bottle washer, my vote is for glass top....why ?
Ease of cleanup.

We had a nice glass top that I kept spotless with minimal effort...2 minute cleanup after cooking.

Now we have gas...and it's a royal pita to clean. 3 grates to remove and clean, then the burner wells must be cleaned, and grates returned, nooks and crannies to clean....it's now a 10 minute job minimum. Nothing beats a flat surface.

Old 02-12-2023, 06:57 AM

4,842 posts, read 3,270,079 times
My LG is similar to that with the burner controls on the front. Bought it because it looked 'cleaner' without the controls sticking up at the back... but stuff gets spilled down the front panel much more often than you'd think, and it looks like hell. And since it's stainless, a simple 'wipe up' may get the spill gone, but the SS is a streaky mess until the next time you pull all the knobs and do a proper full clean. My panel is angled, and I see on the newer similar model that panel is flat... perhaps in response to feedback?

Old 02-14-2023, 05:31 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,077,765 times
Thank you for your replies. It does sound like the induction stove is a good one but they are way too expensive for me. I decided not to go too expensive because I am not sure how long I will be able to stay in my house. It is getting harder to take care of it myself. Also, I have a feeling whoever buys the house would probably do a kitchen remodel and not even keep the stove.

I believe I will get the electric coil one and hope that maybe I can replace the coils if it gets too irritating cooking with the newer type. People have had success doing that. I don't do a lot of cooking on the stove and since I am making meals for myself I tend to use my toaster oven a lot.

I am also having a problem trying to figure out if my stove hood is ducted or ductless. I want to purchase one and I don't know what to buy. I have asked a few sales people and they don't seem to know anymore than I do. I have a basic under the cabinet one. If I look in the cabinets above I don't see any pipe going through. Then I was told to look outside the house for a vent similar to that for a clothes dryer. I found one so I turned on the hood and went outside to see if there was any air coming out but I couldn't feel any. The stove is on an inside wall and this vent that is outside is located below the level of the stove.

I was reading about the hoods and I really don't see the point of ductless because my understanding is it just vents the air back out into the kitchen. Also, wouldn't a ductless hood have vents across the front? Mine does not.

Any ideas to help me figure this out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House