Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 05:50 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times

Advertisements

When I had my current house built, I told the builder not to build in any obstacles. It's a small two bedroom, two steps up to the front door, two steps down from the deck to yard. Levers instead of doorknobs. A walk in small shower.

Everything on one floor. I think it will stand me in good stead in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2023, 08:06 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,026,013 times
We are looking around our one-story home to see where it can be improved for age as husband turns 75 next month.
Here's my suggestion: make sure there are places to stay active both inside and outside your home.

We have a small garden from previous owner but it's not super accessible to work in since it's on a 30 degree slope. I made some wood plant boxes and use plastic bags of soil inside. These are on the back patio and in good weather we have tomatoes, herbs, beans and other veggies growing.

Some people have exercise equipment inside but we bought a ping-pong table because we both like chasing balls with paddles lol. It's a lot of fun. We also have a nice hilly neighborhood for walks. These hills may be too much when we hit 80 but right now it's good exercise.

I've been reading about healthy 100 year olds in the Blue Zones books and staying active (not sitting watching the TV and internet all day) is very important.

We decided not to get another dog (both allergic to cats) but will look into volunteering as a dog walker at animal rescue.

A sibling is an avid bike rider to stay fit after a heart attack. We don't have safe places to ride bikes but if you do that's a suggestion.

Old 02-17-2023, 03:40 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
We are looking around our one-story home to see where it can be improved for age as husband turns 75 next month.
Here's my suggestion: make sure there are places to stay active both inside and outside your home.

We have a small garden from previous owner but it's not super accessible to work in since it's on a 30 degree slope. I made some wood plant boxes and use plastic bags of soil inside. These are on the back patio and in good weather we have tomatoes, herbs, beans and other veggies growing.

Some people have exercise equipment inside but we bought a ping-pong table because we both like chasing balls with paddles lol. It's a lot of fun. We also have a nice hilly neighborhood for walks. These hills may be too much when we hit 80 but right now it's good exercise.

I've been reading about healthy 100 year olds in the Blue Zones books and staying active (not sitting watching the TV and internet all day) is very important.

We decided not to get another dog (both allergic to cats) but will look into volunteering as a dog walker at animal rescue.

A sibling is an avid bike rider to stay fit after a heart attack. We don't have safe places to ride bikes but if you do that's a suggestion.
That's exactly why we bought the home we did.

My husband loves to walk our dog every morning. Gets him up, and moving, and he enjoys chatting with the occasional neighbor along the way. Our home is on a road that rarely gets any non-resident traffic, so it works out well.

I love to garden. Love eating from our gardens. Love giving away sacks of tomatoes and handfuls of basil. Our home is on an acre and we've been setting up raised garden beds and trellises with the idea of one and done. We will need to add compost every year, but no tilling, no putting up and taking down tomato cages, etc. I would encourage you to make the 30 degree slope work for you. Perhaps terraced raised beds with level pathways in between?

I hadn't thought about the ping pong table. Thought of parcourse stations in the back yard. Grandsons want a zip line. But need to think of something inside. Hmmm?

I agree that staying active is the key here. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 02-17-2023, 04:09 AM

A year ago, we moved to a one-level home in a location that we love.

We looked at homes set up for elders, and though ramped entries and grab bars were appealing, the lack of room to garden was a deal breaker. Also, "open concept" doesn't do it for me. I refuse to spend my remaining years on this earth holed up in a bedroom while the TV chatters on in the only other room in the house. Yeeesh!

I tried to think of what would support our physical, mental, and emotional health going forward. We have been working towards this time our whole lives. I don't want it to be just a slow descent into infirmity and dementia. Want it to be a good time.

I think we've found a pretty good place for us. We live on a quiet road, with grocery stores, and hospitals a few miles away. We are modifying things so that we can manage as our physical abilities became more limited.

Wondering if there is more we should be doing that we haven't thought of.

Old 02-17-2023, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
When I had my current house built, I told the builder not to build in any obstacles. It's a small two bedroom, two steps up to the front door, two steps down from the deck to yard. Levers instead of doorknobs. A walk in small shower.

Everything on one floor. I think it will stand me in good stead in the future.
Levers instead of doorknobs. Good idea. Thanks.

Old 02-17-2023, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
In at least one bathroom, a handheld shower attachment so that you can sit down on a bench to take a shower.

We had the Delta shower faucets where the center can be used as a handheld. Seems to be working well.

Good reminder about the bench. Hubby used one when he broke his hip in a bike accident. It was a bench that slid across the tub. Worked well.

Old 02-17-2023, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Soft edges on furniture. Coffee tables are the worst. With reduced circulation, bumping into sharp edges is not good. Cabinets designed with slide-outs or other easy reach.
Good idea.

We've installed several slide-outs in the kitchen. Need to install a couple more.

You're right about the coffee tables. We've used ottomans and padded benches for years. Easier on the shins and the grandsons.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 02-17-2023 at 04:32 AM..

Old 02-17-2023, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
OP: good thinking. Having cared for 5 people; Advance preparation is important.

Our condo was built for a age-in-place facility but then opened to all ages.

don't recommend tall toilets because they don't help the bowels although they may help you get up. But your purpose is to poop and and grab bars are more important that toilet height....Use grab bars and standard height (or accustomed toilet height).
Oval toilets. Preferably Toto..
Get heated water washlet bidets.~$250-$450 with water flow pressure control.
Goose neck faucets in the bath sinks.
Bathroom sinks should be as as wide as possible-a lot of splashing. Possible one at wheelchair height.
Love Toto toilets. We installed ones with the smooth sides. So much easier to wipe clean. I like the tall ones. So much easier on the knees. I could pull over our grandson's step stool if I need to get my feet up higher to help out.

Have been thinking about adding a washlet to at least one of the toilets. Had one years ago and didn't care for the blast of cold water. Heated would help.

Grab bars are where it's at. It's been fascinating figuring out shape and placement.

Old 02-17-2023, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Interestingly, that was a consideration when my wife and I were looking at homes back in 2005 -2007 and a significant factor in why we ended up with a manufactured home. All on one level, much of it already compliant, and no hinky small doors or passageways that were an afterthought. With large open areas, it was accessible and not claustrophobic, even with her limited mobility.

I was in charge of ADA compliance at the last theatre circuit I worked for, and I worked in a state hospital many years before, so I knew what worked and what wouldn't. For those about to dive off into such waters, the idea that manufactured housing is not considered as valuable, and depreciates in value, is a secret plus. It means lower taxes and insurance, less of a pressure to "get them out of that place" from offspring looking to inherit, and other benefits.
In addition to all one level/accessible homes with decent layouts and storage, there are a number of mobile home retirement communities in our area with amenities geared to retirees -- community centers, workout spaces, pools, walking paths, ...

Affordability, convenience, easy ways to get to know the neighbors, ...

Minor worries that our offspring will be pressuring us to move out. They are all doing much better than we ever have, and a move to an ALF would deplete any inheritance within a few years and leave them stuck with pitching in for our nursing home fees. It is in their best interest that we stay right where we are until we keel over.

Though lots of opportunity for walking the dog, hardly any room to garden in a mobile home community. So that was out.

Set up on a large lot would work. We just didn't run across one where the location and the lot worked, and didn't explore setting up such a home.

Ran across a few modular homes set up on decent lots, but there did not seem to be much difference in asking price, if any, and none were in the locations we wanted.

Old 02-17-2023, 08:33 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Levers instead of doorknobs. Good idea. Thanks.

Do remember that eager dogs can jump up and move the levers! I only adopt seniors so not so eager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House