Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 10:17 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

Wife’s health and mobility is making us consider a bidet attachment to our toilet. There is no electrical outlet for the electric models and no hot water connections either. Two types of options. The first option is an entire toilet seat/bidet all in one in the $100 range. The second option is a bidet kit that mounts under the hinge section of your existing toilet seat. One model I’m looking at would require the additional purchase of seat risers to make the seat balanced instead of leaning forward. The price of the attachment is roughly half the price of the whole seat/bidet.

Have any of you tried either of these versions? I’m leaning towards the bidet attachment for two reasons. First is price and second is if anything goes wrong (like a leak or not satisfied) then we will still have the original seat we’ve grown accustomed to with the soft closing seat and lid. The seat/bidet combo would probably be better built and there’s even one put out by the same company that made our toilet, American Standard, a reputable brand.

Wife’s spine and hip pain is making things more difficult for her. She likes the idea that the seat (in either version) would be slightly raised making it easier for her to stand up from the seat (she had both knees replaced before the age of 50 and she’s 54 now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 10:34 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Is there an electrical outlet or light switch anywhere near the toilet? For our bidet the electrical outlet was added to the circuit for the light in the closet containing the toilet.

Old 07-01-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Is there an electrical outlet or light switch anywhere near the toilet? For our bidet the electrical outlet was added to the circuit for the light in the closet containing the toilet.
The nearest is in the next room over. Light switch is 10 feet from toilet and there is no electrical outlet in the bathroom at all (built in 1973).

Old 07-01-2022, 01:43 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Some of the bidet attachments that go under the seat are so thin (but sturdy) that you don't need any seat rises. Actually none of those I ever purchased needed any.
I live in Texas so even my "cold" water is warm most of the year.
Is there is any way to connect the bidet hose to a warm water line in your sink?
This option was used in one of my rentals and works great.
One of my favorite models is
https://www.amazon.com/LUXE-Bidet-No.../dp/B00P2XZIP2
I have it in a guest bathroom and it's working great for over 10 years now. No leaks or any other problems.

Old 07-01-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Some of the bidet attachments that go under the seat are so thin (but sturdy) that you don't need any seat rises. Actually none of those I ever purchased needed any.
I live in Texas so even my "cold" water is warm most of the year.
Is there is any way to connect the bidet hose to a warm water line in your sink?
This option was used in one of my rentals and works great.
One of my favorite models is
https://www.amazon.com/LUXE-Bidet-No.../dp/B00P2XZIP2
I have it in a guest bathroom and it's working great for over 10 years now. No leaks or any other problems.
Sink is opposite from the toilet. You face the sink when sitting. Nearest hot water is the shower but that would require cutting into copper pipes to make a connection.

Old 07-02-2022, 07:23 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
1. Call an electrician and get a cost estimate for an electrical outlet behind the toilet.
Bidet seats with electricity make their own warm water.
2. Toto makes excellent seats, but not cheap.
3. We have had our Toto toilet + washlet seat for 2.5 years and we are very happy with it.

Old 07-02-2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Call an electrician and get a cost estimate for an electrical outlet behind the toilet.
Bidet seats with electricity make their own warm water.
2. Toto makes excellent seats, but not cheap.
3. We have had our Toto toilet + washlet seat for 2.5 years and we are very happy with it.
I’ll talk with the wife about the electrician option. I don’t make large purchase decisions without speaking with her first.

Old 07-02-2022, 10:18 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,193,305 times
Sorry for the details, but who is going to keep an eye on making sure that bidet is clean if your wife is having difficulty maintaining her cleanliness?

Nothing really is “self-cleaning” no matter what the sales/marketing pitch says: where there is a water - mold, mildew, other nasties is thriving in nooks and crannies- plastic is the worse.

She might be better off filling a light weight pitcher of warm water placed next to the toilet on occasion she uses it. She could even add a bit of soap - when she couldn’t use the shower.

Pour it down on her front to back while sitting - the height of the pitcher determines how forceful or gentle the stream is.
Simple, cheap, effective.

Spend money on toilet bars instead: floor or wall mounted, etc; the choices are endless according to the best fit for your house and your wife ability to pull herself up from the toilet - it is safer for her too to avoid injury and fall.
https://www.amazon.com/TZUTOGETHER-B.../dp/B09GMDK3Q8

Last edited by L00k4ward; 07-02-2022 at 10:27 AM..

Old 07-02-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Sorry for the details, but who is going to keep an eye on making sure that bidet is clean if your wife is having difficulty maintaining her cleanliness?

Nothing really is “self-cleaning” no matter what the sales/marketing pitch says: where there is a water - mold, mildew, other nasties is thriving in nooks and crannies- plastic is the worse.

She might be better off filling a light weight pitcher of warm water placed next to the toilet on occasion she uses it. She could even add a bit of soap - when she couldn’t use the shower.

Pour it down on her front to back while sitting - the height of the pitcher determines how forceful or gentle the stream is.
Simple, cheap, effective.

Spend money on toilet bars instead: floor or wall mounted, etc; the choices are endless according to the best fit for your house and your wife ability to pull herself up from the toilet - it is safer for her too to avoid injury and fall.
https://www.amazon.com/TZUTOGETHER-B.../dp/B09GMDK3Q8
We already have rails by the toilet and in the tub/shower. We considered other options to toilet seat mount bidet. She’s on some seriously strong pain killers that cause constipation. She takes fiber laxatives and eats a variety of fruits. Problem is when the “dam burst” it can happen at any time so prepping warm or hot water isn’t a viable option. In those situations she has to get in the shower. I do some housework cleaning. She wants to try to do as much as she can so she doesn’t feel useless (her words, not mine). I regularly tell her if she wants something done but doesn’t feel up to it then she can ask me and I’ll do it for her. Few days ago it was cleaning the floors. I also do dishes, my own laundry, yard, and high dusting.

Old 07-02-2022, 02:07 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Miralax may be better in her case than the fiber laxatives. Have her discuss with her doc, with the reminder that colonoscopy prep is now almost always the PEG in Miralax and the generics. Miralax, oatmeal, and coffee, one right after another, can keep things moving. Also, some meds may affect magnesium balance, so a minimal dose of MOM from time to time may help.

Bidets are no more hard to clean than toilets. Depending on the type, the nozzle may need to be extended to brush it, or it may be a simple matter of using the toilet brush on it while cleaning the main part of the toilet. Also: many toilet brushes are not all that great at cleaning. Go to a dollar store and get a handled scrubby used for dishwashing that has a soap reservoir. Skip filling the reservoir and put it next to your regular toilet brush for scrubbing.

To answer an earlier question, in your climate zone there is no need to go to the expense of heating water for the wash. The nerves in that area are not particularly temperature sensitive, and water from the fill hose of the toilet tank will be just fine. I'm further north than you and my second bidet attachment was similarly too far from an easy outlet, so I tried one out. It cleans about equally well, but without any bells and whistles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House