Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 10:12 AM

2,071 posts, read 1,678,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ Well, l travel a lot and need to control my thermostat remotely.

Honest question, why? When we go out of town I just set the thermostat to whatever temp is appropriate and call it good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2023, 07:55 AM

4,564 posts, read 2,706,649 times
Remarkably enough, when I travel I set the thermostat before I leave.

If it's summer I'll set it on 85 or so. If it's winter I'll set it at 45 or 50.

Why would I need to change it from afar? If I were going to be gone for 10 or 12 months, I'd ask the neighbor that has a key to go in, once, and change it.

Old 02-21-2023, 08:50 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,410,886 times
one of the reasons i like the wifi thermostats, is to change the setting several hours before i go to the location. i travel a lot and have 4 different thermostats on one app (sensi by emerson) and it is very convenient to control them all from one location, my phone. (some of these are work locations)

but, back on topic, i have bought several places with smart locks, thermostats, alarms, garage doors, cameras, etc and the change over to something that works for me is not always easy. sometimes it is easier to just replace and start over. but, i do make sure that any system that somebody else had control of is reset with new passwords or completely changed out.

Old 02-21-2023, 11:43 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,331,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
These "so-called" smart devices usually leave a backdoor way to get into your mainframe computer. There, a criminal has access to everything you have on your mainframe. Do online banking? Not anymore you don't! LOL.

Sometimes, being a luddite has it's advantages.
Sometimes being a luddite means you don't know what you're talking about. If a criminal can access your "mainframe" (nice, calling your personal computer a "mainframe") through the 128bit encryption of the router using your thermostat, then they can do so at any time without any smart devices. BTW, do you have proof of your assertation?

And worrying about controlling your AC if the power goes out? Doubt your AC would be working even with a old style thermostat. Oh, you have a generator for that situation? Then your wifi router would be working and you can still control it with the smart thermostat. My ecobee smart thermostat was supplied by my electric company and anything needed for a new owner would be a quick call to them.

Yes, home sellers should not only disclose the smart devices, but give the instructions on setting them up on a new network. I have smart light switches throughout the house so that they can be controlled by voice commands. But the switches also work without the network so if the internet goes down, the lights still work. And the alarm system is run by the local alarm company, so if anyone needs to reset it when buying this house, it's a simple phone call away to either set it up or remove and replace with their security system of choice.

Old 02-22-2023, 08:32 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,410,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Sometimes being a luddite means you don't know what you're talking about. If a criminal can access your "mainframe" (nice, calling your personal computer a "mainframe") through the 128bit encryption of the router using your thermostat, then they can do so at any time without any smart devices. BTW, do you have proof of your assertation?

And worrying about controlling your AC if the power goes out? Doubt your AC would be working even with a old style thermostat. Oh, you have a generator for that situation? Then your wifi router would be working and you can still control it with the smart thermostat. My ecobee smart thermostat was supplied by my electric company and anything needed for a new owner would be a quick call to them.

Yes, home sellers should not only disclose the smart devices, but give the instructions on setting them up on a new network. I have smart light switches throughout the house so that they can be controlled by voice commands. But the switches also work without the network so if the internet goes down, the lights still work. And the alarm system is run by the local alarm company, so if anyone needs to reset it when buying this house, it's a simple phone call away to either set it up or remove and replace with their security system of choice.

i have noticed in the past few years, all the new alarm systems don't use your home wifi, but have a cell unit for signal distribution. (with battery backup)

Old 02-25-2023, 09:41 AM

20,093 posts, read 20,897,502 times
No use for smart tech in my home.
I purposely have a dumb house.
The only thing I have is the router/internet.
I don’t even have a doorbell.
By design, I wanted simplicity, low maintenance living.
The less junk I need to fix, repair, reboot, address, the better.
I designed and built my place all by myself, to suit my needs and be low maintenance.

Old 02-25-2023, 09:55 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,667,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
No use for smart tech in my home.
I purposely have a dumb house.
The only thing I have is the router/internet.
I don’t even have a doorbell.
By design, I wanted simplicity, low maintenance living.
The less junk I need to fix, repair, reboot, address, the better.
I designed and built my place all by myself, to suit my needs and be low maintenance.

I have a dumb apartment, and am perfectly happy.
I don't need to start filling my bathtub up while I'm driving home, it is just as easy to turn the water on with my hands when I get home, or turn a light switch on as well.

Old 02-27-2023, 03:44 PM

61,834 posts, read 87,292,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Honest question, why? When we go out of town I just set the thermostat to whatever temp is appropriate and call it good.
Because l am living overseas 6-7 months of a year. Sometimes longer. So, l need to adjust the thermostat accordingly but at the same time optimal to the local temperatures. It saves money.

Old 02-27-2023, 03:49 PM

61,834 posts, read 87,292,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
i have noticed in the past few years, all the new alarm systems don't use your home wifi, but have a cell unit for signal distribution. (with battery backup)

ALL??? I don't think so. It is still difficult to find a home security camera that doesn't require WiFi. Many of the popular models require an Internet connection in order to function properly.
But yes, there are FEW options:

https://reolink.com/blog/solutions-f...ternet-access/

Old 02-27-2023, 04:35 PM

4,513 posts, read 5,062,588 times
I too have a 'dumb' house. Every month the electric company sends out a usage report. It compares 92 houses around me with approximately the same square footage. And EVERY month my report says that I use less electricity than my most efficient neighbors and a lot less than the average neighbors. We set the heat at 73 in Winter and don't touch it. Set the AC at 80 in the Summer and don't touch it. I grew up without AC and for heat we chopped wood all Summer and burned it in the Winter. Managed to get to a ripe old age without AI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House