Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 06:46 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times

Advertisements

I bought a plug in hybrid last year and am now looking at putting in a level 2 charger. I'm doing some research on things to be concerned about. I have pretty much decided to install a NEMA 14-50R receptacle instead of direct wiring the charger to the circuit.

I have seen a few articles and some have expressed concern with using standard residential grade NEMA 14-50R outlets for car charging. they say that because car chargers run high loads for long periods of time compared to the shorter duty cycles of clothes dryers, stoves and similar appliances. This has caused some problems with the receptacles overheating and either melting or catching fire. They recommend using a commercial grade receptacle, which is (of course) more expensive,sometimes greatly so.

Should I go to the extra expense of installing the larger and heavier duty commercial receptacle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2023, 08:18 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
https://wattlogic.com/blog/nema-6-50-vs-14-50/

We had our electrician install a 14-50 for our ChargePoint HomeFlex that we use to charge our VW ID.4.
Not commercial grade.

Old 02-25-2023, 07:21 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Are you hiring an electrician to do the install?
Is it going to be permitted?
What does the AHJ require? That should be your answer.
As a secondary thought- what does your insurance co. say/require regarding your home policy?

Old 02-25-2023, 07:41 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I bought a plug in hybrid last year and am now looking at putting in a level 2 charger. I'm doing some research on things to be concerned about. I have pretty much decided to install a NEMA 14-50R receptacle instead of direct wiring the charger to the circuit.

I have seen a few articles and some have expressed concern with using standard residential grade NEMA 14-50R outlets for car charging. they say that because car chargers run high loads for long periods of time compared to the shorter duty cycles of clothes dryers, stoves and similar appliances. This has caused some problems with the receptacles overheating and either melting or catching fire. They recommend using a commercial grade receptacle, which is (of course) more expensive,sometimes greatly so.

Should I go to the extra expense of installing the larger and heavier duty commercial receptacle?
To observe the risk, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDp9...nnel=MunroLive

Old 02-25-2023, 07:49 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:

I'm going to tell you that heavying it up to commercial grade is the way to go. You might even have to once you look at the Electrical Code more (although my sense is that the Code is lagging a bit).

Old 02-25-2023, 08:13 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
The NEMA 14-50R receptacle is rated for 50 amps and if you have the circuit appropriately grounded and the right breaker in use... you should have no problem. Now, are there things you can do to keep the circuit safer? Yes. First make sure the charger is UL "certified" not just listed. When using the NEMA outlet redo all connections with electrical compound to ensure proper/best connection. Take your multi meter and measure the resistance of the outlet ... .02 ohms or less. Mitigate all issues you might have.

I use a NEMA 50 for a Class A RV and if the power is out I can use the NEMA 50 to back feed my panel with my 10KW PTO generator. I've taken temperature checks... goes about 20-25* over ambient at 48 amps. I'm good.

My NEMA outlet is outside.

Old 02-25-2023, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You should. I did.
I am very comfortable working with 110 volt, 20 amp circuits. Adding/replacing switches/lights.
But, I am not going to touch 240 volt, 50 amp.
I was vey happy to hire an electrician and when he said "sh_t" during the install, I was even happier.

Old 02-26-2023, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Is it going to be permitted?
What does the AHJ require? That should be your answer.
As a secondary thought- what does your insurance co. say/require regarding your home policy?

Yes I am hiring a very experienced well regarded local electrician to do the work.
I have always believed that local regulations are a minimum standard.

Hadn't thought about insurance but I can't see a problem with it being done to at least current code by a licensed electrician.

Old 02-26-2023, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You should. I did.
I am very comfortable working with 110 volt, 20 amp circuits. Adding/replacing switches/lights.
But, I am not going to touch 240 volt, 50 amp.
I was vey happy to hire an electrician and when he said "sh_t" during the install, I was even happier.

Those are my thoughts. I will do 110 volt ( I did aircraft electronics and ran computer rooms and networks for 25+ years but have no desire to fool with 240 volt). 'A man should know his limitations'

I have sent an email to my electrician asking his opinion on the subject also

Old 02-26-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I have sent an email to my electrician asking his opinion on the subject
My electrician installed our EVSE in December.
When he installed our neighbor's EVSE in February he commented that almost 100% of his residential work is now installing EVSEs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House