Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 05:42 PM

17,600 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

The show, South Park, did a whole episode on the Japanese toilets. I could never justify the cost of one of these devices. We do have an adapter under our existing toilet seat for a bottom bidet wash. Using this, we’ve greatly reduced our toilet paper use. For those who are interested in trying a fresh water wash, there are affordable options instead of spending hundreds, thousands, or tens of thousands of dollars for high feature electronic devices.

Portable bidet-these can be as low as $10. Simply, they’re a flexible bottle you fill with water, attach lid, aim spray nozzle to area with bottle upside down, squeeze bottle to spray. Some people use these when traveling since they’re small, light, and affordable to replace if lost.

Hand held sprayer-these are the most versatile of the affordable options for the home. It’s simply a water hose with a wand type spray nozzle. They can easily be installed in a DIY project that only takes a few minutes. The wand on the hose means the ladies can use it for both front and back rinse.

Bidet attachments-this is what we went with. It’s a thin device that mounts under your existing toilet seat and connects to your toilet’s water supply. Our was about $20.

Bidet seats-these can be cheap or go up to hundreds of dollars depending on features. They can give you most of the features of a Japanese toilet without spending thousands of dollars.

Bidet toilets-the most expensive option. Some people cannot justify the cost unless included in the home building or remodel budget. Some full feature models can cost over $10,000 just to purchase and require a GFIC electrical outlet nearby. The low end models can be in the range of $500 which is the range for high end bidet toilet seats with heated seat features.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2023, 06:18 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
When anyone says “Japanese toilet”, there is only one toilet that comes to mind…
You have to have been there to understand!

Who the Hell watches South Park!???
Attached Thumbnails
South Park Japanese Toilet episode-331fbc5b-8724-48d2-8130-e29a3e15cedd.jpeg  

Old 03-03-2023, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
When anyone says “Japanese toilet”, there is only one toilet that comes to mind…

Saw those in parts of Italy and Saudi Arabia in the 90s.

Old 03-04-2023, 10:13 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,248,713 times
KLB's picture reminds me of one of my first business trips to Taiwan many years ago. The office building had a public bathroom with the squat over "toilets". First time I used the "toilet", went in maybe in a hurry and when done, looked for toilet paper. All I could find was a two gallon bucket with a toilet cleaning brush. I thought to myself.. wow, very tough people! Using the squat toilet is odd enough but using that brush for personal cleanup is just too much.

Turns out the bathroom just didnt stock toilet paper, you had to know this and just bring your own.

Funny when one of the US visitors would be there for the first time and they would come back from the bathroom wearing only one sock LOL...

Old 04-09-2023, 08:33 PM

7,705 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

At least that one flushes. I've been to very old Japanese homes where the interior toilet does not flush at all. They are more like outhouses, except that they are indoors in separate little closets. That was in the 1980's, so I hope they have been modernized since then.

Old 04-09-2023, 09:50 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
We have https://www.totousa.com/nexus-washle...toilet-128-gpf
Highly recommended.
Expect to pay $2200.

Old 04-10-2023, 09:47 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,665,635 times
When we built our house we had electrical outlets put in every bathroom where we thought we might need a bidet. I think the cost was <50 per outlet ,and well worth it.

We just bought nice standard toilets from Costco and then ordered toilet seats with the bidet attachment from Costco. I think it was $199 after $100 off. Easy to install, connect to the water pipe coming into the tank and plug the electrical cord to the outlet. Can adjust the toilet seat temp, heat of water used for bidet and hot air blower. Adjust the jet set and direction and has a spray function that cleans front to back and vice versa. And it comes with a remote.

I think a roll of toilet paper lasts me 3 months.

Old 04-10-2023, 01:00 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,231,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
When we built our house we had electrical outlets put in every bathroom where we thought we might need a bidet. I think the cost was <50 per outlet ,and well worth it.

We just bought nice standard toilets from Costco and then ordered toilet seats with the bidet attachment from Costco. I think it was $199 after $100 off. Easy to install, connect to the water pipe coming into the tank and plug the electrical cord to the outlet. Can adjust the toilet seat temp, heat of water used for bidet and hot air blower. Adjust the jet set and direction and has a spray function that cleans front to back and vice versa. And it comes with a remote.

I think a roll of toilet paper lasts me 3 months.
I think I might have a similar toilet seat/washlet that I bought from Costco circa 2012 when my wife and I bought our first house. There was already a GFCI outlet about a foot above the toilet tank reservoir and replacing the toilet seat seemed like a good idea when you're buying a pre-owned house. I think it set me back about $300 then but the I love the heated seat/water/air feature during the winter time. My wife took a few years to appreciate the seat warmer. My theory is that females typically sit each bathroom visit and in a public restroom a warm seat implies that someone recently used it and let's just say that's off-putting. Males typically sit less when using the restroom and we tend to loathe the feeling of an ice cold surface on our cheeks.

My wife loves South Park and we got a good kick out of Randy Marsh's reactions because they were all too familiar. Our houseguests loved trying it out and about half of them converted their toilet setups afterwards. We use far less TP, feel cleaner, and had no problems during the run on TP during the early days of the pandemic. Our Persian friend (Weeb) feels validated by both the South Park episode and our toilet seat. He's lived in Japan, speaks the language, and has reverse culture-shock when he returns to the States after a visit to Japan.

Stand up to Big Paper!

Old 04-10-2023, 01:10 PM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Sheesh.

I buy the thing to poop in. It needs to flush. It ought to use standard innards (flapper, fill valve) so I can replace parts as needed with the stuff from the local plumbing supply house.

All done!

Just because you CAN have an all-singing all-dancing electric terlit doesn't make it a good idea.

Old 04-10-2023, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I think I might have a similar toilet seat/washlet that I bought from Costco circa 2012 when my wife and I bought our first house. There was already a GFCI outlet about a foot above the toilet tank reservoir and replacing the toilet seat seemed like a good idea when you're buying a pre-owned house. I think it set me back about $300 then but the I love the heated seat/water/air feature during the winter time. My wife took a few years to appreciate the seat warmer. My theory is that females typically sit each bathroom visit and in a public restroom a warm seat implies that someone recently used it and let's just say that's off-putting. Males typically sit less when using the restroom and we tend to loathe the feeling of an ice cold surface on our cheeks.

My wife loves South Park and we got a good kick out of Randy Marsh's reactions because they were all too familiar. Our houseguests loved trying it out and about half of them converted their toilet setups afterwards. We use far less TP, feel cleaner, and had no problems during the run on TP during the early days of the pandemic. Our Persian friend (Weeb) feels validated by both the South Park episode and our toilet seat. He's lived in Japan, speaks the language, and has reverse culture-shock when he returns to the States after a visit to Japan.

Stand up to Big Paper!
Look up the episode titled “D-Yikes”, season 11 episode 6. They do a parody of the movie 300 with the “Persians” coming to take over the lesbian club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House