Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 08:45 AM

522 posts, read 343,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
You are very kind, but you did nothing wrong. In good faith you called him back assuming nothing had changed. He should have technically informed you things had changed as you aren’t a mind reader. I’d either just forget about it or tell him you like his work and appreciate his pricing but can’t use him without the required insurance as the liability is too great. Then again the workman’s comp isn’t always required depending on the size of the company, it’s his liability insurance that’s important.
He had the insurance cert on his estimate (it was an online thing) but did not see it until after he came out. Maybe I'll just forget it unless he reaches out again. Just didn't want him to think I was screwing him around. It was a couple weeks before he was able to come out and he did specifically ask if I was still interested so we're not wasting our time.

His company is really small but I figured WC was needed anyway? From the research I've done, a company with at least one employee needs it but there are exceptions. Unclear if the homeowner is on the hook if something were to happen tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2023, 10:16 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Every state is different-
Small “ companies” maynot require WC… it usually depends on the number of “employees”. Keyword- “employees”! It’s quite possible that his laborers are cash workers, or on a 1099.

GL would be my main concern- especially if the trees being cut are in close proximity to the house.

Old 04-28-2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Every state is different-
Small “ companies” maynot require WC… it usually depends on the number of “employees”. Keyword- “employees”! It’s quite possible that his laborers are cash workers, or on a 1099.
Yeah it could be that he has less employees now, or they could very well be cash or 1099. If that is the case and one were to get hurt then who's responsible?

Quote:
GL would be my main concern- especially if the trees being cut are in close proximity to the house.
The trees are not near the house so no issue there.

Old 04-28-2023, 12:39 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
...and he said it would no be necessary for me to be there.
I concur.

Quote:
He has liability coverage plus umbrella but not WC.
Call YOUR insurance agent.

Old 04-28-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I concur.

Call YOUR insurance agent.
I did....they said they would not cover an incident if the company does not have WC.

Old 04-28-2023, 01:50 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,209,798 times
I would not have even thought of any of that tbh.

Old 04-28-2023, 02:02 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
Should I let him know why I'm turning him down or just forget about it unless he reaches out and asks?
I'd tell him why you can't use him. It's not about being mean, it's actually to his benefit so he realizes the impact of his decision, that it actually does matter.

Old 04-28-2023, 05:41 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'd tell him why you can't use him. It's not about being mean, it's actually to his benefit so he realizes the impact of his decision, that it actually does matter.

He could be operating within the law of the state- so, what exactly “matters”???

Old 04-28-2023, 05:52 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
He could be operating within the law of the state- so, what exactly “matters”???
That it's costing him business, duh.

Old 04-28-2023, 07:21 PM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
I might sound heartless, but 9 times out of 10, most contractors ghost tons of people all the time, always with the excuse that they are so busy or just are crap at managing/bookeeping. And never with a second thought.

If you only used him once and have no real personal connection, I wouldn't worry about it or send a gift card unless you want to use him in the future for something else. A gift card might earn you some goodwill and a quick callback in the future, but even that's a gamble. Contractors prioritize the biggest jobs and money and usually that's it.
9 times out of 10? Over exaggerate much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House