Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2023, 11:20 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,518,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Move the sensors from 6" from the floor, to 6" from the ceiling. (Or 2" like I did.)

Or, try reed303's plan.

Or both.
I was considering this, but having looked at how the two components are fastened to the framework, I'm not sure I can move them. I assumed they were bolted on, but it actually looks like they're simply clamped on in some way I can't quite figure out. There doesn't seem to be any kind of release mechanism that I can find. Also, there's what appears to be a tiny rivet, but nothing on the other side that could conceivably loosen anything. What's more, the thin wires leading to the sensor and light source themselves seem to be bolted or stapled to the metal; again in a manner I don't understand. They look like copper staples.

I should probably go with reed303's plan. I've already established that the light beam can be detected through a TP core; probably something a little longer like a paper towel core, positioned on the side where the shadow comes in, would eliminate the problem. Also, the safety feature would still work, and that's necessary. I wouldn't want a pet to get injured by a closing garage door. We don't let our cats in the garage, but there are other cats who occasionally wander around the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2023, 11:54 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,097,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Moving the senors to the top of the door will negate the 'safety' aspects, no?

I think that was his (hopefully tongue in cheek) intent.

Old 05-01-2023, 03:04 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
It's not the shadow that's tripping the sensor, otherwise the garage door wouldn't close at night. It's the sunlight hitting just right on the receiving sensor, basically blinding it to the laser emitter at the other side of the door.

I've had the same problem with my own garage door. I can block the sun with my body, and then use the garage door remote to close the door.

The cardboard tube is a really good idea.
This happens to mine at a very specific time of year when low angle sunlight crosses the beam just right. It was frustrating and took time to figure out what was going on. Nothing blocking the beam across the doorway or inside the garage itself. The problem had nothing to do with shadows. I watched very carefully when the door misbehaved and marked the sun's location. I stood in various spots (and used the remote to close the door) or moved a large box along the edge of the driveway to find out where to block the light. Then I planted a large bushy shrub in that spot. Solved the problem.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-01-2023 at 04:29 PM..

Old 05-01-2023, 09:47 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,852,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Moving the senors to the top of the door will negate the 'safety' aspects, no?
"Safety" is simply transferred. From your ankles/knees to your forehead. Might even be preferable after a coupla hits...

Old 05-02-2023, 07:02 AM

25,748 posts, read 12,832,402 times
Shine a flashlight on each end of the sensors, and try to close the garage using a remote. Worked for me. I just kept the flashlight handy nearby.

Old 05-02-2023, 07:05 AM

1,711 posts, read 808,760 times
Swap the two sensors.

Old 05-02-2023, 05:42 PM

7,602 posts, read 3,260,039 times
I still vote for "buy a new one."

However, I realized I also have a "shadow" problem in my garage. The neighbors across the street have an ex-feral cat named "Shadow" and she will run into my garage given the chance.

Old 05-07-2023, 06:49 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Don’t know if this works on all openers, but on some you can push and hold the button down to “override” the tripping/reverse travel.

Old 05-08-2023, 02:08 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,758,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Don’t know if this works on all openers, but on some you can push and hold the button down to “override” the tripping/reverse travel.
I found this out last week. I was frustrated after having the door move down, stop and go back up multiple times. I was trying to block with my shadow etc., and found holding the button down overrides it. This is the first year we’ve had this happen. We have seen it at our son’s house and so knew what was going on when it happened at our house.

Old 05-08-2023, 02:16 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Haven't had much luck trying this with the openers on my previous and current garage doors. Must be nice. One was an older model. The current one is more sophisticated but holding the control bar down on either the remote or the wall panel still won't override the trip/reverse travel issue. Had to solve the problem another way. The solution was very low tech...planting a bush in just the right spot worked!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House