Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 07:32 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,512,757 times

Advertisements

The front of my house faces slightly south of due northeast. On sunny days, beginning in mid spring and lasting through summer, the late afternoon sun casts a shadow across the entrance to the garage and the safety sensor prevents the door from closing.

This puzzles me. I understand that the safety mechanism consists of a light source on one edge of the opening that's detected by a sensor on the opposite side, and if a person or object blocks the light beam from reaching the sensor, the door won't come down. But why would a shadow on the ground trip the safety mechanism? It's not blocking the sensor beam. And I've confirmed that the alignment of light source and light sensor is correct.

Short of nailing up a board to prevent the shadow boundary from crossing the garage entrance, what can I do to fix this?

Last edited by Those Who Squirm; 04-30-2023 at 08:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2023, 08:11 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
One idea.

Take the paper tube from a roll of toilet paper or paper towels, and tape the tubes to the sensors such that the beam passes thru the tubes, and the tubes shade the opening on the sensor. That might block whatever (shade ?) is causing the problem.

Old 04-30-2023, 08:55 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Move the sensors from 6" from the floor, to 6" from the ceiling. (Or 2" like I did.)

Or, try reed303's plan.

Or both.

Old 04-30-2023, 09:27 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,512,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
One idea.

Take the paper tube from a roll of toilet paper or paper towels, and tape the tubes to the sensors such that the beam passes thru the tubes, and the tubes shade the opening on the sensor. That might block whatever (shade ?) is causing the problem.
It sounds like a good idea. We're back to cloudy days for now, but I'll try this at the first opportunity.

Old 04-30-2023, 10:59 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
One idea.

This happens to my mom when the sun is hitting her place. I will tell her to do this. This has been happening for years and we couldn't think what to do. She even got talked into getting a new door and it still happens.

Thanks for the idea!

Old 05-01-2023, 04:56 AM

8,408 posts, read 7,402,622 times
It's not the shadow that's tripping the sensor, otherwise the garage door wouldn't close at night. It's the sunlight hitting just right on the receiving sensor, basically blinding it to the laser emitter at the other side of the door.

I've had the same problem with my own garage door. I can block the sun with my body, and then use the garage door remote to close the door.

The cardboard tube is a really good idea.

Old 05-01-2023, 05:30 AM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
I had my sensors replaced and they work way better. It was cheap as I was having the garage door serviced anyways. It's very inexpensive to just get new ones and it's one of those annoyance factors that makes life suck.

Old 05-01-2023, 05:47 AM

4,831 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Move the sensors from 6" from the floor, to 6" from the ceiling. (Or 2" like I did.)

Or, try reed303's plan.

Or both.

Moving the senors to the top of the door will negate the 'safety' aspects, no?

Old 05-01-2023, 08:53 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Fighting the Sun God Ra is difficult

Get new sensors.
Realign the current sensors.
We did both. Realignment of new after a few years worked.

Buy a new house.

Old 05-01-2023, 11:02 AM

5,954 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Moving the senors to the top of the door will negate the 'safety' aspects, no?
Correct... unless a Wilt Chamberlain look-alike were to walk into your garage. Moving the sensors that high totally negates the reason for having them. If some kid were to be injured by the garage door closing on them after you had moved the sensors to the top of the opening, then the kid's parents would have a strong case for suing you for wilfull negligence.

Additionally, you might even damage your own car if someone accidentally bumps the closer button while you're entering or exiting the garage with your car. Far better to put a sun-shade over one of the sensors. I did that with my previous garage door opener. Just took a piece of cardboard, some scissors, and some tape and fashioned a shade for the sensor that the sun hits. The shade only needs to extend an inch or so out over the sensor that is in the sun unless it is an early morning or late afternoon problem. My newer garage door opener has the sensors slightly back further and I don't have the same problem with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House