Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:24 PM

177 posts, read 471,366 times

Advertisements

So we purchased a house and went to paint some rooms only to discover there is some black mold in one of the corners! I can't believe the inspector did not see it! Makes me feel like what did I pay this guy for and we tipped him too! I am really upset but I think it's too late to do anything about it other than the obvious.....remove and fix it! I'm angry though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 10:22 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,803,065 times
Damn, I hate mold! I sure hope that you don't find yourself overwhelmed by trying to keep up with the spores, as they creep through your sheetrock.
Sometimes, when we awaken the wall, to inspect the interior surfaces, we find ourselves hopelessly bashing out a patch at a time, of the walls of the "castle"
which seems to be the house that we bought only a few years ago. Don't go crazy replacing wallboard or chasing the builder or the seller or for that matter,
the inspector, we tend these days to getting no more than that which we've paid for. It might be a moisture problem combined with sub-grade building products,
perhaps Chinese sheetrock. Unless you have deep pockets and can "pick-up" and vacate the place for another house, I suggest that you look at the mold as one
of those problems which sit at the bottom of your list of things acceptable or those, not.

In a day where one can look at a wall and say that they own the wall, the condition notwithstanding, it is time to give thanks for just owning that wall,
no matter what shape it is in. I'd suggest a spray bottle of pure Clorox. No, it will not end your problem but the chlorine will certainly diminish the toxic potential
of whatever those spores may carry as released in the ambient distribution of airborne particles. Only after determining that you'd prefer to live out your existence,
there in your home, should you put too much credence into shortening your life and those of whom you love and live with, by allowing yourself to be consumed by
a patch of black mold there on your kitchen wall.

I truly understand your anger and the indignation that must burn across your face, as the one who paid a good sum of money to get that home which you
are now sharing with mold spores. Like you must feel, I too wish that there was an avenue of recourse. I've got a ceiing leak that has gone beyond the stage of
mold, cautious birds are starting to peek out and chirp at me from the growing hole in my ceiling but I refuse to let it bother me, it's almost the least of my problems.
I'm sincerely sorry for your situation. I wish that my capacity for sorrow in regard to others would surpass my own self-sorrow but hell, self-pity is as fullfilling as self
abuse and we're all susceptable to whatever passing indulgence comes along and as creatures given to impulse, we succumb.

I'd be a happy guy if mold was the biggest problem in my life. Be glad that (if it is), the greatest problem in your life. The walls of our country are eroding by the
hour and America is by far a bigger domain that any wall in any house. But, I really hope that you get the results that bespeak your willingness to work toward whatever
your particular outcome is. One day or another, we shall all be rendered as mold.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:25 PM

142 posts, read 265,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Damn, I hate mold! I sure hope that you don't find yourself overwhelmed by trying to keep up with the spores, as they creep through your sheetrock.
Sometimes, when we awaken the wall, to inspect the interior surfaces, we find ourselves hopelessly bashing out a patch at a time, of the walls of the "castle"
which seems to be the house that we bought only a few years ago. Don't go crazy replacing wallboard or chasing the builder or the seller or for that matter,
the inspector, we tend these days to getting no more than that which we've paid for. It might be a moisture problem combined with sub-grade building products,
perhaps Chinese sheetrock. Unless you have deep pockets and can "pick-up" and vacate the place for another house, I suggest that you look at the mold as one
of those problems which sit at the bottom of your list of things acceptable or those, not.

In a day where one can look at a wall and say that they own the wall, the condition notwithstanding, it is time to give thanks for just owning that wall,
no matter what shape it is in. I'd suggest a spray bottle of pure Clorox. No, it will not end your problem but the chlorine will certainly diminish the toxic potential
of whatever those spores may carry as released in the ambient distribution of airborne particles. Only after determining that you'd prefer to live out your existence,
there in your home, should you put too much credence into shortening your life and those of whom you love and live with, by allowing yourself to be consumed by
a patch of black mold there on your kitchen wall.

I truly understand your anger and the indignation that must burn across your face, as the one who paid a good sum of money to get that home which you
are now sharing with mold spores. Like you must feel, I too wish that there was an avenue of recourse. I've got a ceiing leak that has gone beyond the stage of
mold, cautious birds are starting to peek out and chirp at me from the growing hole in my ceiling but I refuse to let it bother me, it's almost the least of my problems.
I'm sincerely sorry for your situation. I wish that my capacity for sorrow in regard to others would surpass my own self-sorrow but hell, self-pity is as fullfilling as self
abuse and we're all susceptable to whatever passing indulgence comes along and as creatures given to impulse, we succumb.

I'd be a happy guy if mold was the biggest problem in my life. Be glad that (if it is), the greatest problem in your life. The walls of our country are eroding by the
hour and America is by far a bigger domain that any wall in any house. But, I really hope that you get the results that bespeak your willingness to work toward whatever
your particular outcome is. One day or another, we shall all be rendered as mold.
Well, damn....

Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,343,087 times
Speaking of black mold.... now that I have a leak on my kitchen ceiling because of the ice dams outside.... should I be worried about black mold forming inside the ceiling ?
How do the mold testing diy kits work ? any recommendations ?

Old 01-18-2011, 05:27 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,555,237 times
If the leak is cleaned and dried within 48-72 hours you should be fine.

Just because the mold is black, does not mean its toxic. If its a small amount and on the surface, it can be cleaned with a bleach based cleaner. If there is water damage to the sheetrock, it could be a bigger issue.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:32 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,555,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Speaking of black mold.... now that I have a leak on my kitchen ceiling because of the ice dams outside.... should I be worried about black mold forming inside the ceiling ?
How do the mold testing diy kits work ? any recommendations ?
Air sampling is the best method of testing. How large is the mold in sq feet?

Old 01-18-2011, 08:42 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,343,087 times
No, we do not see any mold from the kitchen at all, but maybe the water leaking thru' the ceiling creates a atmosphere conducive for mold on the inside ??
I have to climb up the attic and take some picture. I will post it soon.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:54 AM

456 posts, read 1,430,074 times
Remember, every home has mold in it, it's just a fact since it's in the environment. If the problem looks bad, it's likely the result of moisture in that location. You might be wise to open up that wall and make sure it's not a likely pipe or something. Perhaps a roof leak was repaired at some point and mold resulted from it at the time. I wouldn't panic. My house was pretty bad with the mold and mildew when we bought it as a fixer upper. One more bathroom to go, and the house is done and mold appears to be under control. Just make sure to keep the humidity down to 50% or less if possible.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:05 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,693,011 times
clorox & water solution removesit

Old 01-18-2011, 07:30 PM

177 posts, read 471,366 times
It's just a little in the corner. We'll try the clorox and water and my husband will probably remove the sheet rock and out up new sheet rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House