Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 11:17 AM

17,587 posts, read 13,367,588 times

Advertisements

No restrictions what so ever. We leave a light on by front door and patio in back 24 hours a day. Plus we have VERY bright motion detector spotlights (blinding bright) front, back and both sides

We are happy and our neighbors are happy (they have same system)

We live in very nice neighborhood, but no one should take chances in today's world!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 03:08 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
All but one of my houses has been in an HOA, but those HOAs were quite hands off. All but one was outside city limits so the covenants were designed to take the place of a few specific city, borough, or county codes that protected property values: trash/sanitation/septic/water quality, home businesses, pervasive noise, livestock, etc. They didn't restrict exterior lighting per se.

My current house has the typical front stoop light, back door light, garage door lights, as well as a couple of small motion sensor lights aimed directly in front of the entrances beneath them. The original idea for those was to switch on a light if my hands were full. Probably hasn't happened more than twice over the years I've lived here. All these exterior lights are left off 99% of the time. If I need to illuminate my way around the property at night I tend to use a keychain light or flashlight. I've never routinely left any exterior lights on at any of my houses...unless someone was due to arrive at the house after dark. Once they do, the light gets switched off. If I will be away from the house for an extended period I leave an indoor lamp or radio switched on but controlled by a semi-random timer so the place appears to be somewhat occupied. I also leave evidence of a dog outdoors; toy or two, water bowl, etc. I've never had any trouble with human prowlers, no attempted break ins or property theft.

Last time I checked, the pattern of burglaries in the communities I've lived in revolve around unoccupied vacation homes or they occurred during the workday, not at night. "Security" lighting made no difference.

One of my current neighbors routinely leaves her house illuminated like an oil refinery. Whether she's home or not. It is totally obnoxious and violates city ordinances. However, maybe in terms of night sky conservation our houses cancel each other out

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-09-2023 at 03:43 PM..

Old 05-10-2023, 03:34 AM

23,224 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post

Last time I checked, the pattern of burglaries in the communities I've lived in revolve around unoccupied vacation homes or they occurred during the workday, not at night. "Security" lighting made no difference.

One of my current neighbors routinely leaves her house illuminated like an oil refinery. Whether she's home or not. It is totally obnoxious and violates city ordinances. However, maybe in terms of night sky conservation our houses cancel each other out
I worked for awhile at the Minneapolis Hennepin County Sherrif's Dept. way back in the early 70's, writing up crime reports, and number of these burglaries were out in the wealthy western suburbs/Excelsior/Lake Minnetonka area, with spacious homes on big lots during the daytime.

So the burglar was probably thinking: To buy a home like this I'll bet both husband and wife are working as well as their neighbors and the kids are at school.

Old 05-11-2023, 12:01 PM

23,224 posts, read 29,056,523 times
I sent the Board a website entitled Tucson and Pima County Lighting Guide, it has 17 pages to it, potential fines, potential violations. And I'm sure there's violations in this community.

Tucson went Dark in 1972 and they've been revising this guide over the years and they want to keep Tucson as dark as possible due to the Telescope atop one of the Catalina mountains.

Most people scouting out Tucson for a move are probably easily deterred, with dark street after dark street, thinking it would be too unsafe to live on a street without even one street light. Myself, being sensitive to light, I find it most refreshing, just make sure you carry a flashlight with you at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House