Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 11:37 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times

Advertisements

I live in a mobile home co-op with 200 units, and increasingly, people are adding security lighting to the front of their homes, and given many of the houses all but front the street, they put in these security lights, and when you walk by at night, I feel like I'm being shot at, and blinded. One of the residents, who despises them as much as I do, said if you walk really, really slow by one, it won't go off! Haven't tested that yet.

I complained to the Board, urged a moratorium on more security lights, to no avail. IMO, it comes under the heading of Invasion of my Privacy.

In Tucson, we have a big telescope on top of one of the mountains here and, as a result, Tucson tries hard to minimize light pollution. Surrounding my mobile home community, radiating outward are residential streets with no street lights. When walking there I run into people carrying flashlights, and of all places, you'd expect to see a plethora of security lights. Nope! Just porch lights! How interesting, as we have street lights in our mobile home park.

So I'm curious if security lights are restricted, in particularly, in the many HOA communities across the country, or any regular neighborhoods.

And I'm not referring to security surveillance cameras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2023, 12:08 PM

22,596 posts, read 47,698,122 times
No restrictions, HOA or non-HOA... security lights are the property owner's prerogative.

Old 05-06-2023, 01:51 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Security lights are encouraged in our HOA neighborhood. Most homes here have them, no complaints as long as they're aimed correctly.

Old 05-06-2023, 09:11 PM

6,820 posts, read 11,553,688 times
No restrictions with any HOA I’ve ever lived in, and I would take a hard pass on any HOA who had such rules.

Boats and RVs parked in driveways, storage sheds, and fencing - that’s more our style.

Old 05-06-2023, 10:18 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Security lights are encouraged in our HOA neighborhood. Most homes here have them, no complaints as long as they're aimed correctly.
And do some of these homes still get burglarized?

A couple summers ago, being a night owl, walking around the community at 2am I ran into a bicyclist with a backpack, emerging from the patio area of a home here, which was floodlit in front. Apparently, those lights didn't scare him the least.

Old 05-06-2023, 11:55 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And do some of these homes still get burglarized?
There hasn't been a burglary in over 18 years in our area. And that one was the first one in over 10 years prior.

Old 05-07-2023, 05:30 AM

1,421 posts, read 756,867 times
Quote:
One of the residents, who despises them as much as I do, said if you walk really, really slow by one, it won't go off! Haven't tested that yet.
I once worked for an alarm/monitoring company and we used to have a lot of fun in the office trying to defeat the various motion and heat sensors.

What worked well on both was a large sheet of cardboard. Hold it between you and the sensor and slowly walk right by.

Old 05-07-2023, 05:45 AM

45,430 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Some of the security light/motion sensor issue is one that feeds on itself.

When we first started to get a lot of migration from the inner DC suburbs thirty or so years ago signs denoting various houses had a security system popped up like dandelions in the Spring.

People would come down and see those signs and assume that the area was a crime ridden hellhole (now it didn't stop anyone from buying a house for a lot less not to mention a lower overall tax load) when it wasn't. The signs made it seem so.

What happened was that people brought their lifestyle, if you will, down from where they'd lived before. The same for the demand for sidewalks and streetlights on country roads.

Old 05-07-2023, 05:47 AM

34,093 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
I live in a mobile home co-op with 200 units, and increasingly, people are adding security lighting ...
Like real houses?

Quote:
So I'm curious if security lights are restricted...
Beyond using common sense? I doubt it.
When the houses are so close there probably shouldn't be ANY individual lights.

Old 05-07-2023, 07:51 AM

6,812 posts, read 4,254,250 times
I remember security lighting back in the day being fairly useless because (1) it often would go on just from someone walking on the sidewalk or even cars driving by (2) wild animals would set it off too, and it wouldn't even need to be deer, a bird would be sufficient. As a result people got totally desensitized to it and wouldn't pay much attention to it going on.

I suspect technology has changed in that regard sufficiently that this stuff can all be customized now easily by app.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House