Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 11:02 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,209,844 times

Advertisements

Not sure about all the UV light stuff, but I think some of the responses are indicative of where you live and the climate.

Our house was built in 2020. Last year, the AC stopped working and we called in a tech. Basically, he used a wet vac to clean out the drain line. I had never heard of that needing to be done before! Of course, I've always lived further north.

Suffice to say, it's apparently a thing in at least my part of Florida.

So we bought a wet-vac and are now cleaning that drain line regularly. I've also heard about using either bleach or white vinegar to keep mold and other green stuff from growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 11:29 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Not sure about all the UV light stuff, but I think some of the responses are indicative of where you live and the climate.

Our house was built in 2020. Last year, the AC stopped working and we called in a tech. Basically, he used a wet vac to clean out the drain line. I had never heard of that needing to be done before! Of course, I've always lived further north.

So we bought a wet-vac and are now cleaning that drain line regularly. I've also heard about using either bleach or white vinegar to keep mold and other green stuff from growing.
I had the same issue a few times. Ended up having a power drain installed. Condensation gathers in a collection box and gets pumped out.

Old 05-24-2023, 11:42 AM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
OP this is the same as a car salesman trying to sell you pinstriping for your car or other options you don't need.
Cleaning coils should be part of regular maintenance service.

UV cleaning sounds like a pandemic ploy being used to get people scared into decontaminating their house.

Old 05-24-2023, 12:20 PM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
[quote=lunetunelover;65326092]Not sure about all the UV light stuff, but I think some of the responses are indicative of where you live and the climate.

So we bought a wet-vac and are now cleaning that drain line regularly. I've also heard about using either bleach or white vinegar to keep mold and other green stuff from growing.[/QUOTE]

NO!!! Do not use bleach or vinegar. Those can both corrode the coils and fins. Use these pan tablets instead:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...3cfdbbf9&ei=51

Old 05-25-2023, 07:10 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,209,844 times
[quote=harry chickpea;65326470]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post

So we bought a wet-vac and are now cleaning that drain line regularly. I've also heard about using either bleach or white vinegar to keep mold and other green stuff from growing.[/QUOTE]

NO!!! Do not use bleach or vinegar. Those can both corrode the coils and fins. Use these pan tablets instead:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...3cfdbbf9&ei=51
Thanks for that!

Old 05-25-2023, 10:50 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Too much misinformation- misunderstanding!

Bleach is a common material for cleaning/clearing the “CONDENSATE LINE/PUMP” on HVAC systems. The usual method is pouring it into the vent on the condensate line and/or the pump itself- has nothing to do with the “A” coil.

And for a little more info- most air handlers today will run for 2-3mins AFTER the condenser/compressor shuts down. The purpose is to “dry off” the evaporator of any residual moisture/condensation. Which in-turn limits the amount moisture sitting in the “A” coil pan.

Old 05-25-2023, 11:44 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Too much misinformation- misunderstanding!

Bleach is a common material for cleaning/clearing the “CONDENSATE LINE/PUMP” on HVAC systems. The usual method is pouring it into the vent on the condensate line and/or the pump itself- has nothing to do with the “A” coil.

And for a little more info- most air handlers today will run for 2-3mins AFTER the condenser/compressor shuts down. The purpose is to “dry off” the evaporator of any residual moisture/condensation. Which in-turn limits the amount moisture sitting in the “A” coil pan.
Use of bleach in the plastic drain line may be common (and not be used on the A coil), but it is a temporary measure at best. Give the AC a couple days of operation and all of that bleach will be washed out, leaving some of the residual organics from the snot still in the line. Since the source of the growth is still in the pan, the line then gets growth in it again. Worse, a homeowner is unlikely to be careful and only get the bleach in the line.

If the plastic line is an accordion line or old enough to be brittle, best solution is to just replace it entirely. Cleanout with a wetvac, steamer, or the pressurized cleaning solution from a garden sprayer are all preferable to resorting to bleach. However, unless the pan is made a place hostile to growth, the problem will come back. The pan tablets are the answer - cheap, easy, safe, and often last much longer than advertised.

The A coil does typically get dried (which is as much a question of efficiency than any attempt at drying it), but I have not seen any situation where the pan gets completely dry. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House