Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 01:43 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,758,043 times

Advertisements

I always get a yearly tune-up for cleaning the A/C, refrigerant pressures, etc to get ready for the typical hot and humid NC summer. This time though, they said there is "biological growth in the coils and near the plenum, recommend UV light."

Cost is $360 for each unit (I have 2 units), with a 2 year warranty on the UV bulb.

Is this an effective strategy or just another money-making thing for HVAC companies as they come out with more things? Another thing I thought of is the electricity cost to run these bulbs nonstop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 02:29 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
I'd be wanting a second opinion. Don't mention the first service's comment about "bacterial growth" and see what happens.
I'd also be asking whether this "bacterial growth" can be cleaned out as part of routine servicing.

Old 05-16-2023, 02:50 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Coils are generally self-cleaning and the pan can be assisted with little tablets that limit growth of the snot that clogs the drain line. Unless you have allergies to it, it is no big deal.

UV lamps typically do not remain effective for much more than a year, from what I've read.

The concept of using these in hospitals, restaurants, and places where viruses can spread is a good idea, IMO. I don't see much purpose in a home, and would sooner purchase an electronic air filter than that. Where I might use UV is on incoming water lines. Since living in south Florida, where bathwater could be green, I've become less trustful of municipal water - not overly so, but cautious.

Old 05-16-2023, 03:34 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,260,309 times
Here in Florida they push the UV lamps pretty hard due to the amount of mold we have here during rainy season. I haven’t gone that route yet as by changing my high quality filter monthly things are ok.

Old 05-17-2023, 06:25 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
My first question would be- how old are your current units?
My second question- (considering your answer to the aforementioned question is at least several yrs) Why was this not mentioned during previous “yearly tuneups”?

I’m sure you can figure on your own where this is going…

Old 05-17-2023, 08:09 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Yeah, those yards and yards of ducting are going to pile-up the nastiness fairly quickly....and that UV is going to do little to kill the bleeeechiness.

Probably works fairly well in the direct area, after that, not so much.

Old 05-20-2023, 04:52 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
UV light is excellent at preventing microorganisms from growing. So if all air passes through a UV zone it will definitely help avoid mold growth.

Perhaps it’s being suggested more often now because production of such units may have picked up during the covid19 surge, since UV light would have also helped remove virus from household air. That means the units might be more affordable.

Old 05-21-2023, 07:12 AM

6,428 posts, read 4,920,252 times
My excellent HVAC company uses a "bacterial, fungal stat and deodorizer" twice a year with my maintenance plan. Seems to do the trick. They have never once tried to sell me a UV light. Here is a quote from a website I found:

"Pros
Help to control new mold and bacterial growth
May reduce smells/odors
May reduce clogging in condensate drain lines by preventing algae growth.
Maintain a cleaner coil, improving cooling efficiency, and reducing electricity costs.

Cons
Destroy non-UV stabilized plastics in the air handler. Only items in the line of sight are affected
May destroy the drain pan in 3-5 years
May break down the flex duct in as little as 2 years
Dust quickly builds up on the UV bulb so it needs to be cleaned often to ensure its effectiveness and with UV light being harmful to humans, make sure the system is off before you maintain it
UV light is great against mold mildew bacteria but not very effective with viruses
UV light does not filter air, it just kills off the particulates so you still need to use filters
UV bulbs are short-lived and need to be replaced yearly
The system itself ranges in price from $300 to upwards of $1000. Pair that with replacement bulbs costing anywhere from $50-$250

Verdict
While a UV light may help sufferers of breathing problems by destroying mold and mildew growth, HVAC UV lights are costly to install and upkeep, and will ultimately cause the need for HVAC repairs due to damage. There are more cost-efficient ways to improve your indoor air quality that won’t destroy your system components:"

Old 05-23-2023, 11:49 AM

61 posts, read 36,836 times
My yearly "free" tune up was this morning for my HVAC system.

I can imagine the technicians are under a tremendous amount of pressure to make sure none of these tune ups are free.

They came up with a quote of $1,097 for nothing that was critical, or even, arguably necessary.

On my last tune up, last year, they suggested the UV system, but, made no mention of it this year.

I declined to have the suggested work done.

Old 05-24-2023, 10:55 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,750,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
My yearly "free" tune up was this morning for my HVAC system.

I can imagine the technicians are under a tremendous amount of pressure to make sure none of these tune ups are free.

They came up with a quote of $1,097 for nothing that was critical, or even, arguably necessary.

On my last tune up, last year, they suggested the UV system, but, made no mention of it this year.

I declined to have the suggested work done.
Same here. It is an unnecessary upsell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House